Apple CEO Tim Cook tapped to advise President Trump's 'Office of American Innovation'

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Monday U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to announce a new White House agency dubbed the "Office of American Innovation," staffed by former business executives and advised by current ones -- among them Apple CEO Tim Cook.

The office will be run by Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and given the authority to overhaul sections of federal bureaurcracy, possibly even privatizing some services, the Washington Post said. Other people advising the team include Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff, former Microsoft head Bill Gates, and Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk. Indeed the office is said to have a strong emphasis on technology and data.

Kushner is said to be selling the office as "an offensive team," yet non-ideological. Despite its business leanings, it will allegedly incorporate talent from inside government as well as outside, and link the business, philanthropic, and academic worlds.

"The government should be run like a great American company," Kushner told the Post. "Our hope is that we can achieve successes and efficiencies for our customers, who are the citizens."

Some early plans include modernizing the tech infrastructure of the federal government, changing up workforce training programs, and reorganizing Veterans Affairs. The office will also aim at "transformative projects" under Trump's $1 trillion infrastructure plan, one of these being the goal of bringing broadband to every American. Some government services could be handed over to private companies, while in other cases existing contracts might be given to new bidders.

People associated with the American Innovation group have often been critical of Trump. Cook in particular has attacked multiple policies, such as Trump's stances on immigration, women, transgender rights, and minorities.

At the same time, the Apple CEO has previously met with Kushner and Trump himself, looking to sway the White House in its favor where it can. Some critics have argued that executives opposed to Trump should refuse to collaborate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Tim: Please advise Trump to to resign his current government internship and go back to the hospitality industry that he came from.
    frankieRoger_FingaseightzerobaconstangedredslprescottbanchomdriftmeyerMacProargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 99
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    And by innovation he means use horse and buggies and oil lanterns...
    baconstangwlym
  • Reply 3 of 99
    Reducing American citizens to "customer" status sounds about right for the Trump administration.
    Roger_Fingasbaconstangjony0dysamoriawlym
  • Reply 4 of 99
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    "The government should be run like a great American company," Kushner told the Post. "Our hope is that we can achieve successes and efficiencies for our customers, who are the citizens."
    I've never understood this. How much profit does the DoD make annually?

Governments aren't companies, and we aren't customers. We own the government - they work for us. 

baconstangRoger_Fingasbanchomdriftmeyerpaxmanargonautjony0roundaboutnowgroakesterdysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 99
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    So, I've gone from a citizen down to a customer. why is this a good thing? Oh, right, it lines the 1%'s pockets even more because, you know, this is a good thing. /sick..
    baconstangjony0singularitygroakesterdysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 99
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    eightzero said:

Governments aren't companies, and we aren't customers. We own the government - they work for us. 

Exactly, we ARE the board of this company; not the customers.
    baconstanghydrogen
  • Reply 7 of 99
    tyranntyrann Posts: 6member
    Tim's Apple can no longer innovate. If he want's tips on max profit and process then sure.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    "The government should be run like a great American company," Kushner told the Post. "Our hope is that we can achieve successes and efficiencies for our customers, who are the citizens."

NO NO NO!
    We are the shareholders.  
  • Reply 9 of 99
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    eightzero said:

If the government works for us, we are doing a poor job of managing them. We do not fire the non-productive.
    baconstangjony0dysamoriagatorguy
  • Reply 10 of 99
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    If we are the board why are we not directing the work?
    edited March 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Government is not a 'business'. Its purpose isn't to produce profit for stockholders.
    baconstangRoger_Fingasgroakesterdysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 99
    I'm glad Tim is trying to work with them.   
    Trump's team has shown itself to be clueless and in far over their heads. 
    Hopefully he can steer them to make some sensible decisions.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 13 of 99
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    I find this very interesting.  Tim is not what I call an innovator.  But I applaud the President for reaching out to business for some help.  Where else should he go?  As for the government not being a business, have you ever done business or two worked for the government?  It's the biggest business in the United States.  As for producing profits, it's profits are in the helping and protecting of it's people. Come on, I applaud the guy for looking for help.  To some here it would make any difference what President Trump did, it would be wrong.
    Metriacanthosaurusboltsfan17
  • Reply 14 of 99
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, this just shows why business people should never hold the reigns of power. They have no idea what government is. Government is not a business. Efficiency is nice, but not required for a government. A government doesn't need to show a profit. 

While businesses need to have a budget that breaks even, at worst, for a long time, and at best, show a profit, a government needs to do work for its people that can exceed the taxes taken in for a long time, something that would break most businesses. The difference is that while businesses can't create money, government can. That doesn't mean that governments should creat new money Willy nilly. But increasing the money supply is required for a growing economy. Sometimes increasing the money supply so that the currency loses value is helpful, such as for increasing exports. Business doesn't have any way of doing that.

perhaps government is more akin to a charity, or non profit.

at any rate, Kushner shows is incompetence here, as does his father in law. Neither seem to understand government. Trump declares that nobody knew that health care reform was so hard. Well, it seems that everyone but him knew that already.
    edited March 2017 baconstangargonautsingularityroundaboutnowdysamoriamontrosemacs
  • Reply 15 of 99
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

rfrmac said:
    I find this very interesting.  Tim is not what I call an innovator.  But I applaud the President for reaching out to business for some help.  Where else should he go?  As for the government not being a business, have you ever done business or two worked for the government?  It's the biggest business in the United States.  As for producing profits, it's profits are in the helping and protecting of it's people. Come on, I applaud the guy for looking for help.  To some here it would make any difference what President Trump did, it would be wrong.
    No, it's not. You are really twisting things around if you really believe what you said here.
    baconstangpaxman
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Some critics have argued that executives opposed to Trump should refuse to collaborate.
    Well that is just fucking stupid, isn't it? Yeah that is how progress is made - act like petulant fucking child and not participate because you don't agree on everything.
    k2kwSpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 99
    Trump's team has shown itself to be clueless and far over their heads. 
    And Pigs might fly. Sorry but that is how it seems.

baconstangdysamoriamontrosemacs
  • Reply 18 of 99
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    eightzero said:

What is so hard to understand about it? You can use a simple business plan and apply it to the government. 
  • Reply 19 of 99
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    eightzero said:

What is so hard to understand about it? You can use a simple business plan and apply it to the government. 
    OK. So there is a plan that could make the DoD profitable? Oh, I guess we need to invade and conquer more countries. Worked well for all the other empires, and they didn't have nukes and practice MAD. 
    baconstangdysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Trump's team has shown itself to be clueless and far over their heads. 
    And Pigs might fly. Sorry but that is how it seems.

Pigs fly every time Trump and his sons get on a plane.
    argonaut