• Reply 21 of 59
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    iPhone6 - took 22 mins
  • Reply 22 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 
    My iPhone 3GS upgraded in 13msecs   :D

I am not sure why the 1st idiot to answer this thread had to talk out of his/her arse. My iPhone 6 took a little over 90 mins.
    That's SOP for SOG35. Just get used to it.
    Actually I assumed his comment was referring the actual 1st poster, JinTech, who claimed it only took 10 mins on his 6. On my 7 it took much longer than that. 
  • Reply 23 of 59
    fallenjt said:
    Use the damn computer to update it...don't use OA!
    Mine worked fine over the air.
    anton zuykovcali
  • Reply 24 of 59
    I see comments are pretty polarized here about this - I'm with the view that Apple is on the losing side with this, they're delaying the inevitable.
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 

I am not sure why the 1st idiot to answer this thread had to talk out of his/her arse. My iPhone 6 took a little over 90 mins.
    is your 6 running about the same speed now, slower, faster?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 59
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    JinTech said:
    Update without a hitch, only took about ten minutes total on my iPhone 6s Plus.

Same. Updated both an SE and a 6S, both near capacity, and both took about the same amount of time. Not significantly longer than normal, I would say.

I expected to notice more of an impact from the file system upgrade, but our phones were already super-snappy and awesome.
    JinTech
  • Reply 26 of 59
    melgross said:
    It took my iPad Pro 12.9" a while, but I didn't time it. I do have about 700 apps, and about 32GB free on my 128GB model. Over the years, I've noticed that a lot of updates, not just the betas, can take a surprisingly long time to complete. I'm waiting for the official release for my phone.
    Wow, I thought that I am biggest App fanatic when I had about 550 Apps on 16GB Iphone. :-o but you got me. :-)
  • Reply 27 of 59
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    How solid is the file encryption? That is so important to me

It's state-of-the-art, industry-leading, world-class, super-awesome, safe and secure encryption!  B)

(seriously, you can trust it)
    magman1979anton zuykov
  • Reply 28 of 59
    aldrintauroaldrintauro Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    The weird thing is that the first developer preview had an update time that was actually really short (less than 10 minutes). The update from the last beta to the 10.3 final took more than 15 minutes on the same phone.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    melgross said:
    It took my iPad Pro 12.9" a while, but I didn't time it. I do have about 700 apps, and about 32GB free on my 128GB model. Over the years, I've noticed that a lot of updates, not just the betas, can take a surprisingly long time to complete. I'm waiting for the official release for my phone.
    700 fricking apps?! How do you even have time to go thru? 😳
  • Reply 30 of 59
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    DilirX said:
    JinTech said:
    Update without a hitch, only took about ten minutes total on my iPhone 6s Plus.
    How is it running?
    Actually pretty snappy, doesn't feel like a new phone but faster than it did before for sure!
  • Reply 31 of 59
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 

Uh because that's how long it took me? No need to be crass.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 

Actually I assumed his comment was referring the actual 1st poster, JinTech, who claimed it only took 10 mins on his 6. On my 7 it took much longer than that. 
    Right, and it actually took me ten minutes. Not sure why some are having more issues than others? I updated mine at around 10:00 AM PST so maybe their servers were not overloaded at that point?
    cali
  • Reply 33 of 59
    JinTech said:
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 

Right, and it actually took me ten minutes. Not sure why some are having more issues than others? I updated mine at around 10:00 AM PST so maybe their servers were not overloaded at that point?
    it was t the download that took time, it was the black screen install. far more than 10 minutes to complete the file system update on a 7. 
  • Reply 34 of 59
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    20 minutes to upload both to to my iPhone 7 and iPad Mini 4.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Tried and failed 3 times to update OTA on my 6S, restarted with a message saying an error occured. The first time, the phone was bricked and I had to hold home-power to get it to boot up. Trying to update via iTunes now...
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 36 of 59
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    iPhone SE was super fast!
  • Reply 37 of 59
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    took me 10 seconds. 

chill dude. just making a joke bro
    Jokes are funny. You're not.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Interesting that this comes during a point update, and not iOS 11.

2) Interesting that this comes to iOS, which has the largest install base of all their OS X-based system, and not macOS first. (You can check Get Info on your Mac's drive or In Disk Utility to see if it lists APFS or Mac OS Extended).

3) For me, macOS would be a great benefit to APFS because it would allow for very fast file copies, which is a system where I'm most likely to manipulate large files. The following video has an example of how APFS can be beneficial to Mac users. Maybe I'll back up and format my drive for APFS since Apple is confident enough to use it for iOS.

4) Any ideas why it wasn't use for macOS? Is there any evidence that watchOS tvOS (or touchbarOS) have also been updated to APFS. My Apple Watch did seem to take a long time to update, too.
    palomine
  • Reply 39 of 59
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    If you are wondering about the implementation on iOS, read up on Apple's white paper on it. https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

You may also want to search for news articles about how much of a headache breaking into the iPhone has been for law enforcement and government agencies, especially compared with Android.
    Soli
  • Reply 40 of 59
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    linkman said:
    If you are wondering about the implementation on iOS, read up on Apple's white paper on it. https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

You may also want to search for news articles about how much of a headache breaking into the iPhone has been for law enforcement and government agencies, especially compared with Android.
    Since full disk encryption, it's been tough, and AFPS should add to that. It might even regain some of the performance loss from the encryption layer and possibly even increase battery life since file copies are now effectively instant, as shown in the video above (post #43). In any event, nothing about APFS seems to make the user experience or security worse.