Some Slight Changes to the Forums

Comments

• Reply 121 of 142
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Yes it's not clear what is up with editing -- this disappeared quietly a couple days ago. I hope it's not a new "feature" as I can't see how it adds value. Often we have typos and errors in our posts and wish to edit them soon after posting. The 4-hour window was perfect for this.
  • Reply 122 of 142
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    spheric said:
    Current issues:

I can't edit posts. 

Yes it's not clear what is up with editing -- this disappeared quietly a couple days ago. I hope it's not a new "feature" as I can't see how it adds value. Often we have typos and errors in our posts and wish to edit them soon after posting. The 4-hour window was perfect for this.
    ... 🤔

You guys should be able to edit posts again. Thanks for letting us know -- we ran some DB update scripts last week that restored some default values, and it looks like it may have hit the member role in an unintended way.
  • Reply 123 of 142
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I’m going to stop reporting threads for right now, since my report of my report (which turned into a thread) turned into its own thread, too. Sorry! Guess there’s a bug somewhere.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 124 of 142
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It appears there is a fatal error in the forums. Formerly hidden threads, which appear to be only for mods, are now visible, plus as Tallest Skil mentioned above, anyone flagging a comment or thread is unwittingly creating a new visible thread. Anyone have any ideas about what's going on? Anyone there?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 125 of 142
    It appears there is a fatal error in the forums. Formerly hidden threads, which appear to be only for mods, are now visible, plus as Tallest Skil mentioned above, anyone flagging a comment or thread is unwittingly creating a new visible thread. Anyone have any ideas about what's going on? Anyone there?

I’m going to stop reporting threads for right now, since my report of my report (which turned into a thread) turned into its own thread, too. Sorry! Guess there’s a bug somewhere.

Somehow our permissions table got all messed up. I've restored everything back to its default state.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 126 of 142
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I'm still seeing posts from members I've hidden - albeit only on iPad...
  • Reply 127 of 142
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    New problem which just showed up, the "like" and "informative" buttons at the bottom of my posts are missing, I can see other people's and click on them but I can not see if anyone marked my posts as "like" or "informative"
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 128 of 142
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    maestro64 said:
    New problem which just showed up, the "like" and "informative" buttons at the bottom of my posts are missing, I can see other people's and click on them but I can not see if anyone marked my posts as "like" or "informative"
    I'm seeing that error also.
  • Reply 129 of 142
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's a feature.™ The site's helping us be less narcissistic.
    pscooter63gatorguySpamSandwich
  • Reply 130 of 142
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    That is exactly what I thought when I first saw it. The mobile app does the same thing.
  • Reply 131 of 142
    That would be an absurd feature, I've never seen any other site go out of its way to hide post votes from the  speaker. I hope it's a bug. Why even have tallies on our own profile page?
  • Reply 132 of 142
    That would be an absurd feature, I've never seen any other site go out of its way to hide post votes from the  speaker. I hope it's a bug. Why even have tallies on our own profile page?
    It is another way in which the far rightist powers that be in ownership or management of this site push their censorship of all things that don't agree with the position of the day in their devolved social political philosophy. And yet crazy antisocial BS pervades the thinking of many who are allowed to spew their fake news, fake history, illiberal antidemocratic refuse. It is obvious. 
    Tamp down the commenters/readers agreement with critical thought on current political topics.
    Thank goodness there are those among who I described above who know the truth and stand up for such in their ranks. 
    Truth prevails in an open society, even in a diseased one such as ours. If we stay informed and involved!

• Reply 133 of 142
    Relax, it's very obviously a bug. We're in the middle of upgrading our stack on a bunch of servers, launching native Apple News support, doing a full HTTPS roll-out, updating our backend APIs, plus a whole bunch of other stuff I can't talk about. I just haven't had time to fix it yet.

Edit: Fixed it.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 134 of 142
    jSnively said:
    Relax, it's very obviously a bug. We're in the middle of upgrading our stack on a bunch of servers, launching native Apple News support, doing a full HTTPS roll-out, updating our backend APIs, plus a whole bunch of other stuff I can't talk about. I just haven't had time to fix it yet.

That all sounds great, congrats. But it was not obviously a bug -- not with some of the forum policies of late such as editing mild posts, holding an umbrella for newbie trolls, disabling comments on anything related to the government, removing Dislike, removing Funny, etc.. There's just no way to know what you guys think is a feature and what is a bug. Glad you fixed it tho!

(oh some time you should consider fixing the login process -- after authentication is fails to redirect back to the referring page, instead forcing you to use the browser's Back button twice, followed by a browser refresh in order to load the new state.)
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 135 of 142
    jSnively said:

That all sounds great, congrats. But it was not obviously a bug -- not with some of the forum policies of late such as editing mild posts, holding an umbrella for newbie trolls, disabling comments on anything related to the government, removing Dislike, removing Funny, etc.. There's just no way to know what you guys think is a feature and what is a bug. Glad you fixed it tho!

(oh some time you should consider fixing the login process -- after authentication is fails to redirect back to the referring page, instead forcing you to use the browser's Back button twice, followed by a browser refresh in order to load the new state.)
    What forum policy have we implemented that I haven't openly talked about?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 136 of 142
    Thank you for clarifying the policy or recommitting to the status quo. Speech and assembly are important hedges against tyranny or other more subtle limitations. Best to all. 
  • Reply 137 of 142
    jSnively said:
    jSnively said:

While I don't follow your every post, the decisions to edit the personal style of posts, and protecting newbies from criticism were something I was only aware of after personal correspondence with you. Again, my point was that with some of the newer, weirder policies, it's quite understandable that we can't tell what is a bug and what is a feature.

Disappointing to see the login bug is still here, a year later. After successful authentication the forum should re-direct the user to the referring (source) page rather than re-directing to the forums main page. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 138 of 142
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    jSnively said:
    jSnively said:

While I don't follow your every post, the decisions to edit the personal style of posts, and protecting newbies from criticism were something I was only aware of after personal correspondence with you. Again, my point was that with some of the newer, weirder policies, it's quite understandable that we can't tell what is a bug and what is a feature.

Disappointing to see the login bug is still here, a year later. After successful authentication the forum should re-direct the user to the referring (source) page rather than re-directing to the forums main page. 
    I don't think there's any protection of newbies facing criticism but if they get jumped on or labelled after a few posts, it's clearly not very welcoming for them.

'Style' is more problematic to gauge. Some people can come as being harsh but not have that objective. It's a tough call sometimes.

That said, if people see that different opinions can co-exist without thread implosion, I think it's positive overall.
    jSnivelygatorguy
  • Reply 139 of 142
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    jSnively said:
    "Informative" is fine, but have you ever seen anyone stop posting because they got a lot of down votes? I haven't.
    Yes, that's why we started making these changes in the first place! We get a lot of feedback that isn't surfaced publicly on the forums.

If no one finds any value in a down vote, why place any value in an up vote?
    Positive reinforcement makes people more willing to interact, it's really that simple. We want people to post, and we need to be able to cycle in new blood as regular user's habits change over time. That's how we keep the forums active and healthy in the long-term.
    In a recent reply I was told by one of the forum/admin types that 'Like' == 1++ and 'Informative' == 2++ (although this is not reflected in the sum of votes) in the footer of the post.

In this the 'O' with the 'i' in it adjacent for there should be at least a short explanation that denotes a comment as innovative -- especially when it denotes a value of 2 (wooden nickels to what is oft times considered a negative opinion to some or all/of the comment).
  • Reply 140 of 142
    avon b7 said:
    jSnively said:
    jSnively said:

I don't think there's any protection of newbies facing criticism but if they get jumped on or labelled after a few posts, it's clearly not very welcoming for them.
    Well, you weren't involved in my personal correspondence on the matter; I don't know how you could see the policy existing or not from your vantage point.

If someone creates a new account, jumps into the fray, and says some really dumb stuff, I'm not sure why they shouldn't be "jumped on" -- meaning, their poorly formulated ideas dismantled on the very forum they put them forth on for public review. That's the marketplace of ideas. To not allow criticism of their criticism is the definition of protection.

But yeah, login bug still here -- every time I use the "Sign In" link on a forum thread, get redirected to the authentication page, authenticate successsfully, it simply dumps you back to the Forums Home page, requiring you to use Back, Back, Refresh in order to return to your source thread. Pretty silly -- post-auth redirects were a normal part of authentication web programming going back 15 years. We solved this problem long ago.
    edited May 2017