How to identify all the 32-bit apps installed on your iPhone running iOS 10.3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    tommikele said:
    lonepalm said:
    This is horrible news as the app I use every day and is the main stain database for me is bento. File maker and it's life years ago by releasing a file maker version which is a significant cost upgrade and not useful to me
    Say what? English or some other identifiable language please!

He's saying that upgrading to the current version of an app he uses every day is cost prohibitive and provides no value to him.

While annoying, it's been true in some form and at some point for every operating system on the planet.  For this person, the cost of keeping his current system, i.e. never upgrading his OS, or switching to newer hardware again, has to be weighed against the cost of upgrading his software.  He'll have to decide if that's worth it.

• Reply 22 of 33
    iSRS said:
    Tapping Applications does nothing for me. Am I missing something? Or are all 263 of my apps 64-bit?

If you have 10.3 installed, that's what it means.  If you haven't upgraded yet, it doesn't mean anything at all. :)
  • Reply 23 of 33
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

Looks like I'm going to be saying goodbye to the first app I bought for my first iPhone (3GS) - Atari's Missile Command - which is no longer on the App Store.

Ah well, I'll try & make the most of it before it dies!

• Reply 24 of 33
    A little thing, but good job on putting the instructions in bold, "go to Settings, go to General...." Very is easy to follow. Ai is becoming my first source for all things Apple. Max's Videos are the best I've seen and the Ai Podcast is very good. Victor keeps it moving and he and Neil have developed quite a rapport. 

Best
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    pakitt said:
    melgross said:
    It's already been said that Apple will be removing these apps from the store. It's said that there could be as many as 250 thousand of what are essentially, abandoned apps.
    They should clean up their app store big time - it is full of clones, dead apps, zombies, useless apps that try to steal money and so on. The really useful ones, are probably 10% of what is listed.
    Agreed...I don't even browse the App Store anymore. I just go by recommendations from articles or mainly podcasts. I don't play any games, so if someone like, Jason Snell, Dan Moren, Victor, Neil, Mikey or Daniel recommend an App. I'll check it out for sure.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    I hate 10.  Wish I hadn't updated from 9.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    gerry g said:
    if you had only one hundred apps installed and you spent as little as five minuets on each per day that would be eight point three hours of iPad time per day, how you can possibly have more than that, more than the number of the days in the year is mind numbing even just to think about let alone calculate, I presume you operate on the principal "jack of many, master of none"
    Time spent is a stupid way of measuring an app's usefulness.  Some apps I have I may use only once a month, or less even, but when I do use them they are very useful.  Other apps are store apps, that I only use when I go into certain stores, which might not be very often, but again, when I do, I'm glad I have those apps.  Other apps are games that I only use when I'm with certain people, for local multiplayer, and I may go weeks or months without playing them.

In fact, by having lots of apps installed I'm able to have very specific use apps, so not jack of all trades at all, having the exact tool that I need always available.  The iPhone is one of the world's best toolboxes.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tommikele said:
    lonepalm said:
    This is horrible news as the app I use every day and is the main stain database for me is bento. File maker and it's life years ago by releasing a file maker version which is a significant cost upgrade and not useful to me
    Say what? English or some other identifiable language please!

He's saying that upgrading to the current version of an app he uses every day is cost prohibitive and provides no value to him.

While annoying, it's been true in some form and at some point for every operating system on the planet.  For this person, the cost of keeping his current system, i.e. never upgrading his OS, or switching to newer hardware again, has to be weighed against the cost of upgrading his software.  He'll have to decide if that's worth it.

Well, that's all well and good. But if your device allows you to upgrade your OS, you should do it. If it doesn't, and you need to buy a new one for that, and you can't afford it, then that's unfortunate. Possibly a refurbished, or even just a used model that not new, but newer, that will allow the upgrade might work.

the problem is, as I've already said here, is that after some time, that app may cease to work anyway, or, if you have a problem with your device, and need to reset it, that app could get lost, because the older version isn't in the App Store anymore, and if you haven't backed your apps to your computer, which I've found that most people don't do, then you're screwed. Of course, you lose all of the data as well.

if you can't afford to get a new device, or you've decided that you're not going to, even if you can afford to, then there's no good long term solution other than to back your apps to your computer, and keep your fingers crossed that something there doesn't happen and you lose it there too.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 29 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

crowley said:
    gerry g said:
    if you had only one hundred apps installed and you spent as little as five minuets on each per day that would be eight point three hours of iPad time per day, how you can possibly have more than that, more than the number of the days in the year is mind numbing even just to think about let alone calculate, I presume you operate on the principal "jack of many, master of none"
    Time spent is a stupid way of measuring an app's usefulness.  Some apps I have I may use only once a month, or less even, but when I do use them they are very useful.  Other apps are store apps, that I only use when I go into certain stores, which might not be very often, but again, when I do, I'm glad I have those apps.  Other apps are games that I only use when I'm with certain people, for local multiplayer, and I may go weeks or months without playing them.

In fact, by having lots of apps installed I'm able to have very specific use apps, so not jack of all trades at all, having the exact tool that I need always available.  The iPhone is one of the world's best toolboxes.
    It's possible that this person needs this particular app every day for something they consider important, or even essential. But I agree with you that apps used occasionally can be very useful. I get to the U.K. About twice a year, for about 7-10 days each time. I've got map apps, and others that I never use the other 345 days of the year, but while I'm there, I REALLY need them.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    lonepalm said:
    Bento was great but you should have ditched it years ago.

Move to Airtable. It's cheap and works brilliantly.
    One of the best "stupid app tricks" in Bento was that you could use it to gain deeper access into your contacts data than the Contacts app itself allows, including the ability to manage groups and move users into groups or between groups.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member

mdoss said:
    Well, I have an iPhone 5 (yes I am ancient) and when I check on apps that "might slow down my iPhone" it lists out every app I have installed, including Keynote, TestFlight, iAD, App Store (yes), Apple Store,  Calculator, Camera, Compass, FaceTime etc. There are more, I just got sick of listing each one out.

The funny part is, all these apps were just updated yesterday before installing 10.3.  And there are no updates available for these after the upgrade.

In addition to these, I have quite a few Apple services that are "incompatible", liked AccountAuthenticationDialog, AACredentialRecoryDialog, AskPermissionUI,  etc.

Of course there are third party apps like Google Maps, 1Password and many others in that list.

Funny!

Cheers
    Your iPhone 5 is only 32 bit, thus, you only get the 32 bit binaries downloaded, if I recall how app thinning works correctly.

Also, chances are you are not getting iOS 11 to run on the 5. 
    sphericspheric
  • Reply 32 of 33
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    lonepalm said:
    Leave your Side Device ,iPod Touch 6 or old iPhone on iOS 10. Update your main device for security ,and newer features. iPods are only $200 now
  • Reply 33 of 33
    pfarmerpfarmer Posts: 1member
    iSRS said:
    Tapping Applications does nothing for me. Am I missing something? Or are all 263 of my apps 64-bit?

If you have 10.3 installed, that's what it means.  If you haven't upgraded yet, it doesn't mean anything at all. :)
    I have 10.3.2 installed on my iPhone 5, and as with beowulfschmidt, tapping "Applications" does nothing. The post shows this being performed on an iPad; possibly this is enabled on iPads but not on iPhones?