Apple releases first public beta for iOS 10.3.2, still no 32-bit version available

Posted:
in iPhone
As is normal with Apple beta releases, Apple has followed up a developer-only release of iOS 10.3.2 with one for public beta program participants -- but as with the initial release it still lacks a 32-bit binary.

No significant release notes accompany the new beta software releases. So far, iOS 10.3.2 appears to only contain bug fixes and minor revisions to problems introduced with Monday's more major updates.

Registered iOS devices can acquire the beta through the regular upgrade process, or through iTunes. While the macOS Sierra 10.12.5 beta is not yet released for public testers, the tvOS 10.2.1 and watchOS 3.2.2 betas debuting on Tuesday will likely never be made available for non-developers.

As with Tuesday's beta releases, there are no binaries for the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPad 4. It is unclear if this is a permanent omission, or if there will be 32-bit binaries for the betas in the future.

Monday's releases included iOS 10.3, macOS Sierra 10.12.4, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2. Notable features for each include Find my Airpods on iOS 10.3, Night Shift on macOS Sierra 10.12.4, Theater Mode on watchOS 3.2, and better device management on tvOS 10.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    The end of 32-bit is here. Apps and Devices alike. Time to write their final passage in the history books and move on.
    RacerhomieXanomelolliverredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Awe, Spring is in the air.  o:)
    jSnively
  • Reply 3 of 17
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    Good riddance to 32-bit. Just slows everything down keeping legendary code. I deleted/updated all my 32-bit apps on Monday. 
    peterhartlongpath
  • Reply 4 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Mike, I really don't expect 32 bit binaries. Why would you even be asking this? It does seem obvious that Apple is through with 32 bit. Having binaries for these older products would go against Apple's stated policy of removing all 32 bit apps from the store. This would just confuse people, and give developers an excuse to not update their apps to 64 bit, since some products may not support it.

so, maybe they'll come out with it, but why spend the dollars in updating something that's going obsolete?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Asking what? I'm fully aware that 32-bit is going away.
    peterhartlolliverredgeminipamacgui
  • Reply 6 of 17
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    melgross said:
    Mike, I really don't expect 32 bit binaries. Why would you even be asking this? It does seem obvious that Apple is through with 32 bit. Having binaries for these older products would go against Apple's stated policy of removing all 32 bit apps from the store. This would just confuse people, and give developers an excuse to not update their apps to 64 bit, since some products may not support it.

so, maybe they'll come out with it, but why spend the dollars in updating something that's going obsolete?
    I think you misunderstood Mike's intention for writing this post.
    peterhartSoliredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 17
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

And still there will be developers who won't want to update their code, and blame Apple for it.

No, I'm not talking about applications no longer being supported by companies that went bust or moved on to other things. Although I expect we'll see a few more users of such programs pop up and blame Apple for killing the one application they can't possibly live without, even though it hasn't been updated for three years.

I'm watching the list of 32-bit only applications on my phone for the time being. There are some I'm hoping will be updated, but probably a few more that won't.

redgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 17
    8 apps on my not updated list that are still on the app store, 3 apps that are no longer selling. Funny enough "Zen Garden" which is exclusive to 64 bit devices and Apple had advertised is not updated.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    What happened to 10.3.1?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    The end of 32-bit is here. Apps and Devices alike. Time to write their final passage in the history books and move on.
    Which, for devices, is silly.  Apple still doesn't make an iPad or iPhone with more than 4GB of RAM.

Forcing 64 bit makes sense for real computers, I haven't had one with less than 8GB RAM for a while now, I'm a bit cramped on this Mac Pro I'm using with 20GB, and 16GB on a MBP is beyond stupid as a maximum in 2017.  But it makes a lot less sense to force 64 bit only on a tablet or phone.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    What happened to 10.3.1?
    Probably the same thing that happened to System 6.0.6 - serious bug, version number already locked in, kill it and move on.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    darkvader said:
    Which, for devices, is silly.  Apple still doesn't make an iPad or iPhone with more than 4GB of RAM.

Forcing 64 bit makes sense for real computers, I haven't had one with less than 8GB RAM for a while now, I'm a bit cramped on this Mac Pro I'm using with 20GB, and 16GB on a MBP is beyond stupid as a maximum in 2017.  But it makes a lot less sense to force 64 bit only on a tablet or phone.
    64 bit ARM s not just about memory. Check out the threads about the A7...
    lolliverpscooter63redgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    darkvader said:

LOL I haven't seen these facile arguments in years and I assumed—wrongly—that people like you would've finally understand the benefits of 64-bit on ARM after Apple updated their iPhone many years ago.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 14 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Damn.

It looks like it's time for me to end 30+ years of procrastination and finish playing "Lost Treasures of Infocom" while the app still works.

The future of this 32 bit app is pitch black and likely to be eaten by a grue.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    The iPhone 5c was sold til September 2015.
    Apple took the money, so I'm expecting Apple to support it til September 2017.

• Reply 16 of 17
    darkvader said:

64-bit has been the standard since the A7 and it has absolutely nothing to do with RAM. Thanks for playing.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    smalm said:
    The iPhone 5c was sold til September 2015.
    Apple took the money, so I'm expecting Apple to support it til September 2017.

If by support you mean parts and whatnot- then you'll be fine. If you mean full OS updates? That's a bit more questionable. We'll see as the beta develops, and what iOS 11 brings with it support-wise at WWDC.