Samsung Galaxy S8 fires first salvo against Apple's 'iPhone 8' with 'Infinity' display, AR...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    unicron said:
    If I didn't love my iPhones (and was completely invested in the App store ecosystem), I'd give the S8 a look. It's very pretty on the front. The upper back is a mess of bumps and ridges.

I'd probably go with a Pixel just for its undiluted (and more frequently updated?) OS. 

If looks are important to you, you would be better off staying with iPhones. Why spend money on the duplicates (particularly the Samsung s7/s8 or pixels), while the original is available at the same price?

If looks are not that important to you, you may want to try Moto G5 plus. It is a terrible looker, but a proper functional device with good value for money ($250). With pure android and no bloatware, the performance is pretty good. And has a good camera too - same sensor as Samsung S7, at less than half the price. Of course, software would make the photos taken by Samsung S7 to be better than Moto G5 plus, but it is damn good for its price range.

cali
  • Reply 42 of 92
    these clowns at Samsung even copied the marketing name from Apple -- the "Plus". really? is that the only possible nomenclature for a larger size? pathetic.

Another uninformed person who thinks only Apple manufactures phones and everyone else just copies "everything" including the naming of devices. Please read my earlier comment.

So you think Samsung "copied" the plus naming convention from Apple??? Samsung is using Plus in naming their devices for many years already. Samsung SII plus was released in 2013 - just to give an example. There are MANY more Samsung phones with plus naming convention, much before iPhone 6 plus came in late 2014. In fact, Samsung releases so many phones with so many names every year, it is very difficult to come up with a new name which does not have any resemblance to any of the existing Samsung phones. You can accuse ANY OEM of copying name from Samsung phones blindly and it would not be far off from the truth. To claim that Samsung is copying name from Apple is - pure ignorance and lack of knowledge.

cali
  • Reply 43 of 92
    Still has a headphone socket though.

Maybe Apple will copy that in the iPhone 8.
    singularitycaliGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 44 of 92
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    The front of the new Samsung all-screen phone is perfect. 

Also, Samsung takes a swipe at Apple's ugly camera bump. A video on their website proudly demonstrates that all camera tech of the "rear camera sits flush with the back for a seriously smooth profile."

--> Apple has some catch up to do.

BTW Samsung does not need to look at iphone rumors. They know details of the upcoming phone as they are a large supplier.
    caliGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 45 of 92
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:
    these clowns at Samsung even copied the marketing name from Apple -- the "Plus". really? is that the only possible nomenclature for a larger size? pathetic.

Another uninformed person who thinks only Apple manufactures phones and everyone else just copies "everything" including the naming of devices. Please read my earlier comment.

So you think Samsung "copied" the plus naming convention from Apple??? Samsung is using Plus in naming their devices for many years already. Samsung SII plus was released in 2013 - just to give an example. There are MANY more Samsung phones with plus naming convention, much before iPhone 6 plus came in late 2014. In fact, Samsung releases so many phones with so many names every year, it is very difficult to come up with a new name which does not have any resemblance to any of the existing Samsung phones. You can accuse ANY OEM of copying name from Samsung phones blindly and it would not be far off from the truth. To claim that Samsung is copying name from Apple is - pure ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Samsung never used PLUS on their flagships until after the iPhone 6 Plus.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9105_galaxy_s_ii_plus-5213.php in 2013 
  • Reply 46 of 92
    sog35 said:

What about S2 plus? It was launched in Feb-2013, solid 1.5 years before iPhone 6 plus. Of course, it was NOT flagship at that point in time (S3 was), but an ex-flagship with Plus added to its name. Again, how does that matter, when we are talking about "copying" the naming convention - flagship or not?

If anything, it was apple who copied the Plus naming convention from Samsung. Not that it matters even a bit (because it is damn difficult due to Samsung's stupidity of releasing thousands of phones with different names), but accusing a company of copying something while the truth was the other way around is just not fair.

cali
  • Reply 47 of 92
    jkichline said:
    I still don't understand the appeal of bezel-less displays.  Your fingers are going to constantly be blocking the view of the content and possibly touching the screen.  Cases have nothing to attach to and the camera/sensors up top looked crammed in a way that is not esthetically pleasing.  In all.. I'd say this is pretty "meh".
    Just like I'm sure you never understood the appeals of phones that were larger than 3.5" until the iPhone 5, or the appeal of phones larger than 4" until the iPhone 6.
    avon b7
  • Reply 48 of 92
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Still has a headphone socket though.

Maybe Apple will copy that in the iPhone 8.
    Apple copy an iPhone knockoff? Yeah that'll happen.
    /s

what next? You're gonna complain iPhone doesn't have a floppy disk drive?
    edited March 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 92
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    unicron said:
    If I didn't love my iPhones (and was completely invested in the App store ecosystem), I'd give the S8 a look. It's very pretty on the front. The upper back is a mess of bumps and ridges.

I'd probably go with a Pixel just for its undiluted (and more frequently updated?) OS. 

If looks are important to you, you would be better off staying with iPhones. Why spend money on the duplicates (particularly the Samsung s7/s8 or pixels), while the original is available at the same price?

If looks are not that important to you, you may want to try Moto G5 plus. It is a terrible looker, but a proper functional device with good value for money ($250). With pure android and no bloatware, the performance is pretty good. And has a good camera too - same sensor as Samsung S7, at less than half the price. Of course, software would make the photos taken by Samsung S7 to be better than Moto G5 plus, but it is damn good for its price range.

It amazes me that people will pay iPhone prices for a fake iPhone.

I have fool's gold and fake Jordan's to sell these idiots.

You have to be uninformed to believe Samscum didn't copy Apple's naming. It's like you think they don't follow Apple even though they've admitted it themselves and have been for almost a decade. Had iPhone 6 Plus been named iPhone Giant Edition you can brtmmet your ass samscum would have named their iPhone knockoff Galaxy Giant Edition.

StrangeDaysronnpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 92
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    sog35 said:
    vlscout said:

Also, Samsung takes a swipe at Apple's ugly camera bump. A video on their website proudly demonstrates that all camera tech of the "rear camera sits flush with the back for a seriously smooth profile."

BTW Samsung does not need to look at iphone rumors. They know details of the upcoming phone as they are a large supplier.
    Except it does not have a fingerprint scanner in the front.
    Plus it has that horrible curved screen.

The camera is not 100% flush. It still sticks out a bit. Notice the metal boarder around the camera sticks out a bit.
    I hate front facing fingerprint sensors. Centre placed rear scanners feel far more natural to me but at the end of the day it's a question of personal preference (as is screen size, rounded edges, keyboard layout etc.)

This looks like a solid, safe upgrade and I suppose the price will come down in time for Christmas.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,836member
    foggyhill said:
    freeper said:
    "In addition to ditching a physical home button, the S8 also appears to be preempting the "iPhone 8" through its facial scanning and augmented reality support."

Please guys, tell the truth. The Galaxy Note 7 had iris scanning. Further, Android phones have had iris scanning as far back as 2015 when Qualcomm first began building the capability into their chips.

Second, augmented reality support was built into Android thanks to Google and Qualcomm in Android 7. So thank Google's Project Tango for AR support, and Google announced Project Tango in 2014. The first device to fully support Project Tango was the Lenovo Phab 2 Pro released in 2016. And as Project Tango is supported at the hardware layer with the Qualcomm SOC, every Android phone that has the Snapdragon 835 and Android 7 will fully support AR, and also will fully support VR because Android 7 and the Snapdragon 835 support the Daydream VR platform too (although you will not hear Samsung mention that, as Samsung's Gear VR is on the competing Oculus platform). In fact, as the Snapdragon 821 also supports both Tango and Daydream, the LG G6 and the $499 Asus ZenFone AR - the best Android device for the money as the thing even has 8 GB of RAM! - also have AR and VR support.

So please folks, stop claiming that ideas that Samsung - and a host of other Android OEMs - implemented first, and in some cases YEARS FIRST - are attempts to copy Apple. Even the physical home button ... less an attempt to copy Apple than an attempt to maximize the screen to bezel ratio. Physical home button support was never in base Android but was added by Samsung into TouchWiz. Samsung - and LG - are adopting a design similar to 2014's Sharp Aquos Crystal. So, unless Apple emulates Samsung with a curved OLED screen, the iPhone 8 will be a derivative of this guy ... which also does not have a physical home button.

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Mobile/Models/AQUOSCRYSTAL-306SH.aspx

Who the FUCK cares, what your point, go away.
    His point is to spread FUD -- fear, uncertainty, doubt.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 92

I agree with Sog, the name was never used on a flagship device in a larger size until now. You know, after the iPhone, the device they have copied on numerous occasions and lost a lawsuit over said copying. So put that in your ignorant-pipe and smoke it.
    edited March 2017 pscooter63irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 92

sog35 said:

What about S2 plus? It was launched in Feb-2013, solid 1.5 years before iPhone 6 plus. Of course, it was NOT flagship at that point in time (S3 was), but an ex-flagship with Plus added to its name. Again, how does that matter, when we are talking about "copying" the naming convention - flagship or not?

If anything, it was apple who copied the Plus naming convention from Samsung. Not that it matters even a bit (because it is damn difficult due to Samsung's stupidity of releasing thousands of phones with different names), but accusing a company of copying something while the truth was the other way around is just not fair.

Was the S2 "plus" used to designate a larger sized model, or an update to an older version?

Also, I can play this game as well -- Apple was using the Plus moniker in its product naming schemes decades before Samsung:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_Plus
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Plus

...that's 34 years before the S2 Plus. Oops.
    edited March 2017 pscooter63irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 92
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:

This is the tactic Android cheap copycats used to fight Apple iPhone innovations.  They launch a sea of Android phones even though many failed to sell at all.  The companies try to put all kinds of untested features on the phones.  By so doing they hope they have covered all the technologies that Apple will no longer be called an innovator. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 92
    I had to use a Samsung for one year. It was expensive, but looked cheap. And unreliable. So, no. Samsung never again. 
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 92
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Samsung have screwed themselves by going all in on curved edges, they are locked into a borked design cue that will soon get tiresome, if it isn't already. I think they've responded to how the curved edge phones were first received, always a bad idea to give more of what the fickle customers say they want. I'm not even going to talk about the 15 year old feature phones cues on the back. <= (you just did! ed.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    vlscout said:

Except it does not have a fingerprint scanner in the front.
    Plus it has that horrible curved screen.

The camera is not 100% flush. It still sticks out a bit. Notice the metal boarder around the camera sticks out a bit.
    I hate front facing fingerprint sensors. Centre placed rear scanners feel far more natural to me but at the end of the day it's a question of personal preference (as is screen size, rounded edges, keyboard layout etc.)

This looks like a solid, safe upgrade and I suppose the price will come down in time for Christmas.

• Reply 58 of 92
    A solid device I must say
    How did someone give this an 'informative' up vote? Did they think the phone might have been liquid?
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 59 of 92
    brucemc said:
    No, we are not copying Apple in the naming.  We named the larger version the "Plus", because it is obvious there is no other name it could be called.  All trolls everywhere immediately began vehemently nodding their heads.
    Like the 'slide to unlock', they tried everything but there was nothing they could come up with so they copy slide to unlock and defend it by saying it's just the most obvious and plainly only thing that works. Then apple 'invents' 'press button to unlock' Doh!
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 60 of 92
    jungmark said:
    Not mentioned is the 10 sec fuse. 
    Hint: don't use the photo app countdown timer.
    irelandwatto_cobraStrangeDays