Apple investors shrug off Samsung Galaxy S8 event, send stock upward

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    tzeshan said:
    No wonder there is a market news today that said "

Android projected to top Apple in app revenue for first time this year"

All Android stores combined to overtake Apple's iOS App Store by revenues, but not profits
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/29/all-android-store-competitors-combined-poised-to-overtake-apples-ios-app-store-by-revenues-but-not-profits
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    bluefire1 said:
    Can we come up with another phrase other then the vastly overused "Apple is doomed"!

My personal favourite is what @gtr wrote a few months back - Apple is Boomed!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    maxxe123 said:
    Dilger, you discredit yourself with such blatantpro-Apple articles. It's when I already know what to expect knowing this article is from this author when I don't take it serious. I would like to have a balanced view that points out pro and con of both systems and what Apple needs to improve on their next iPhone.

i haven't used it but I have to say suddenly my iPhone 6S looks kind of old. I really hope Apple comes with the right answer in fall. They cannot afford another small evolution like 6->6S->7

DED's articles are what they are. It's nice to have someone write like he does.

For a humorous takedown of anti-Apple articles, Macalope is great. For a detailed, researched takedown, DED is the best.

You can argue the facts of his article, but no one can dispute the research. 

StrangeDayspscooter63patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    MikeymikeMikeymike Posts: 102member
    I'm no investor, but I noted the word "despite [Samsung's] announcements". Like, is that surprising? What would we expect -- Apple investors to panic after competitors announce an expected annual product? like, "ZOMG! Apple is DOOMed! Sell my stock, it's all over for them now!!"  Or such...?
    Exactly. What Samsung announced looked exactly like the rumors. Plus investors know it's likely Apple will have a new iPhone design this year.
    No. That's quite an accurate statement. Usually, Wall st hears that there is a new 'fill-in-the-blank' phone from 'fill-in-the-blank' manufacturer, and they start saying Apple will be out of business, and the stock trading at $85 by next week. This time that didn't happen.
    Definitely surprised me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    The phone and samsung's presentation looked very exciting and futuristic. However, when I watched the unbox event, I kept remember samsung's past failures. In the past, they have introduced so called futuristic innovations that no body uses. I remember Galaxy s3 (or s4 I am not sure) had a page scrolling feature with your eyes, or turn on the screen by waving your hand over your phone, using 2 apps at a time is another questionable feature having on a phone screen.

Samsung has always followed Apple and stole ideas and the way that Apple integrates technology into their ecosystem. Even naming and numbering their phones is following Apple such as iPhone 6S and Galaxy S6. It is so disgusting they do not even come up with their own numbering pattern. Their voice assistant's name Bixby is pronounced similar to Siri.

There are some features that I find attractive about samsung's new phone. Such as Screen/bezel ratio, OLED screen and my personal favourite headphone jack. However, android makes the experience horrible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    I totally love my iPhone dual lens camera. Not to mention RAW processing if I want it. Samsung is no competition and the "fact" that Android is from a Greek word that means data mining & blackmailing  I'll stay away from them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    tzeshan said:
    I don't understand why Gene Munster that now is "Golden Opportunity" to buy Apple. Apple stock has appreciated 38% in the last six months.  If it appecaites another 38%, this time still cannot be called a "Golden Opportunity".
    because he probably has a large chunk of apple stock, telling everyone else to buy pushes price up so he can sell for more profit. all these guys are just in it for themselves first and foremost and would likely sell their own kids if it made them enough money.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Tell your friends who may consider buying unlocked or locked Galaxy 8 or 8 Plus, to compare Galaxy or any android phones cellular network LTE bands against iPhone 6S/7. It is known that Android phone manufacturers cheat/cripple LTE bands to reduce the cost but users suffer. This is one reason iPhone is called true world phone and most android phones are not. Don't be sucker. Even on their web site under phone spec, they either not list or hide deep and hard to find.
    edited March 2017 palominepatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    WhyGee said:
    I'm no investor, but I noted the word "despite [Samsung's] announcements". Like, is that surprising? What would we expect -- Apple investors to panic after competitors announce an expected annual product? like, "ZOMG! Apple is DOOMed! Sell my stock, it's all over for them now!!"  Or such...?
    It's not unusual for a competitor's announcement to negatively impact another's stock price.
    Meaning the investors of the impacted company sell. But why? What about a competitor's routine announcement all of a sudden means the investor would be wise to immediately divest of the firm? There are no surprises here, these two companies release phones every year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 43

kevin kee said:
    In case you have been living under a rock, that happened in the past (or at least according to many so-called tech media hype out there).
    Your condescending phrase is unwarranted -- "living under a rock" is used when something is blatantly mainstream. The investment patterns of smartphone manufacturer's does not meet that criteria. Especially if you're not an investor, as I very clearly stated.
    edited March 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43

bluefire1 said:
    Can we come up with another phrase other then the vastly overused "Apple is doomed"!

Make you a deal -- I'll stop using it when people stop suggesting it. Every week there are people saying innovation at Apple is dead, Jobs is gone, MBAs have taken over, and they are "concerned". Every week.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 43
    maxxe123 said:
    Dilger, you discredit yourself with such blatantpro-Apple articles. It's when I already know what to expect knowing this article is from this author when I don't take it serious. I would like to have a balanced view that points out pro and con of both systems and what Apple needs to improve on their next iPhone.

i haven't used it but I have to say suddenly my iPhone 6S looks kind of old. I really hope Apple comes with the right answer in fall. They cannot afford another small evolution like 6->6S->7
    Another guy who's lost. DED is a columnist and this is column material, not doing pro/cons on phone models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    maxxe123 said:

Can’t stand the heat, get out of kitchen. It’s obvious you have an axe to grind against Apple. The truth hurts guys like you because DED’s articles are usually spot on. If you want to read negative articles about Apple go to any of the myriad Android blogs.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why is it fashionable on this site to denigrate and disparage Mr. Dilger every time one of his articles is published? 
    pscooter63patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    toysandme said:
    I totally love my iPhone dual lens camera. Not to mention RAW processing if I want it. Samsung is no competition and the "fact" that Android is from a Greek word that means data mining & blackmailing  I'll stay away from them. 
    I don't know where you got your information about the word Android, but that's not it. 

Android is indeed from Greek. Combination of two words
    andras = man (or human if you like) 
    idos = a type of  or   similar to

A good synonym for android is humanoid. 
  • Reply 36 of 43
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    thedba said:
    toysandme said:
    I don't know where you got your information about the word Android, but that's not it. 

I always thought the Android name originated from the movie Star wars. 
  • Reply 37 of 43
    schlack said:
    As an Apple fan and investor I'm all for a fuzzy feel good Apple opinion piece...but when it cheerleads this hard...I kind of tune out and it loses credibility.
    With the exception of a single point (foreign exchange impact) I thought the article laid out Apple's strengths and Samsung's weaknesses very well.  If it looked like cheerleading then so be it.

On the impact of relative currency valuations, all currencies (including the venerable Swiss Franc) are weaker against the US Dollar because the Dollar is going UP.  This means the Korean Won is going down against the Dollar as well, and bt extension is going down with the Chinese Yuan, British Pound, Canadian Dollar, etc.

This makes iPhone sales growth all the more remarkable because the US Dollar denominated iPhone is priced 10% - 15% higher today (outside the US) than it was 2 years ago, while Samsung's products are virtually unchanged (until the S8).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 43
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    tzeshan said:
    thedba said:
    toysandme said:

I always thought the Android name originated from the movie Star wars. 
    Could be before the Greeks, since it was a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.  :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    maxxe123 said:

I avoid DED's submissions because of the propagandistic tone in many of them, regardless of the volume of research and pixels spilled in the process.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I love the acerbic yet accurate comments about SS's past: history is vitally important if we wish to understand the present. Nice work, Dan!
    watto_cobra