Drone flyby video shows work on Apple Park campus buildings nearing completion

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Park, the iPhone producer's under-development campus, has been showcased yet again in another drone flyby video, with the new footage showing progress is continuing to be made at the facility as it gets closer to its grand opening to employees in April.

Surfacing less than a week since the last drone video showing off the campus, the footage from Matthew Roberts gives a close look at the solar panels on the roof of the main building. Previously, it was estimated the solar panel installation is 80 percent complete across the entire campus, with work on the main spaceship and garage solar panels practically finished.

The Tantau Avenue parking garage is thought to be nearly complete, with few elements left to add. As with the earlier videos, the research and development facility seems to be complete internally, with chairs and desks visible through the glass windows, and with external work to the building seemingly completed as well.

Other peripheral buildings are continuing to be constructed, with the Steve Jobs Theater's glass walls almost completely covered to hide the internal work. Some buildings towards the end of the video appear to be almost finished, but are surrounded with building materials and require the installation of glass panels in the roof.

Landscaping continues to be a large-scale project for the facility that won't be complete in time for the opening, and will likely continue for a few more months. For the inner ring of the main building, it is noted that preparation work for the site's pond has taken place, with the landscaping and planting of trees also moving at a swift pace.

A key development needed before employees can move into the main building is the addition of staircases. A pair of staircases have been constructed at the base of the building, bringing visitors up from the road up to the same level as the landscaping just outside its doors.

While drones have been the main way observers have watched the progress of Apple Park, one of Apple's own apps was recently updated to show the site. An update to Apple Maps included geolocation tags for Apple Park, as well as satellite imagery depicting the campus' construction from seven months ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    I don't know to me I think April is an ambitious move in date. 
  • Reply 2 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I hope that the one small grove of trees being placed in a grid-like fashion is an outlier. The original mockups had a more random-looking dispersal of trees, which I think looks nicer.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    When the building is completed, are all these videos going to stop? Or are we going to be treated to maintenance workers watering the shrubs and people getting out of their cars and walking through the parking lot? 
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Soli said:
    I hope that the one small grove of trees being placed in a grid-like fashion is an outlier. The original mockups had a more random-looking dispersal of trees, which I think looks nicer.

The original mockups always contained fruit trees in a grid pattern... that's how orchards are usually planted.
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mjtomlin said:
    Soli said:

The original mockups always contained fruit trees in a grid pattern... that's how orchards are usually planted.
    You are correct.

propodpaxman
  • Reply 6 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    JinTech said:
    How long have you been a part of the project? What aspects are falling behind?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So all future flyovers will concentrate on the planting of trees, shrubbery and the laying of sod?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    So all future flyovers will concentrate on the planting of trees, shrubbery and the laying of sod?
    Probably. The buildings are mostly done.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    1) Are you saying that the landscaping progress is a bad thing?

2) There's still plenty of construction equipment on the grounds. I'd say the last of it won't be gone until last part of the year.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    JinTech said:
    Just an observation with all the heavy machinery still on the site. It would be rather obstructive to have that stuff onsite while people are trying to get their work done, or even moving the heavy machinery out.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    JinTech said:
    JinTech said:
    Just an observation with all the heavy machinery still on the site. It would be rather obstructive to have that stuff onsite while people are trying to get their work done, or even moving the heavy machinery out.
    Why assume that "move in" means that everyone moves in at once? Why assume that the contractors' equipment still onsite within the next month will cause issues with productivity? Is this because it's an eyesore, or do you think that an aerial lift to move the last remaining components to the roof will be too noisy? Let's keep in mind that this project is massive so they "move in" of typical employees could be happening in a location where not construction equipment is being used. Would landscaping keep you from doing your job?

Again, the employees that will "move in" at very different times and rates. For example, IT and security are two departments that will move in long before accounting and administration are onsite because there needs to be physical security in place and a network infrastructure for the employees to work so waiting until every last piece of sod is down before you let security come in to test and train on the new setup or let IT come in to install servers and test workstation setups is not the opposite of optimal.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    I too, spotted that grid planting and thought it looked wrong.
    Soli
  • Reply 13 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Loved the video. The place is becoming ever more spectacular for each video. And that is one large number of solar panels! What a shame Steve Jobs never got to see this. 
    Soliradster360radarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 20
    JinTech said:
    JinTech said:
    It depends.  It will take six months to move everyone in, and most of the offsite trees and landscaping will require SOME heavy machinery-- so I would assume that there will be some employees that will have to put up with tractors and such for a while.

• Reply 15 of 20
    You have a problem with drones following the lawnmowers around?  j/k

I would assume that we will have drone flights for a while until there isn't much to see, or until Apple has antiaircraft guns installed.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 20
    You got "trolls" even on such posting! AI, Thanks for all those drone videos of the progress on Apple Park. I do really enjoy them. Even those living in the valley, we don't get to see the progress of the campus. I think people who work at Apple and who will get to occupy the facility are very fortunate. I do hope Apple will allow general public to visit this fine campus and have some open public access space.

Yes, I too wish Steve was alive to see his dream come true. I hope his family will be honored with ribbon cutting ceremony for the campus and the Steve Jobs Auditorium.
    Soli
  • Reply 17 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Apple should now build an identical version in central Florida just in case of the big one.  We have lots of space, i.e. low cost land, great climate and excellent infrastructure and Tampa Airport is awesome. Let's not forget our sea water is warm oh and we have great beaches and Happy Hour.  :)
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 18 of 20
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    paxman said:
    Loved the video. The place is becoming ever more spectacular for each video. And that is one large number of solar panels! What a shame Steve Jobs never got to see this. 
    So true! The R&D centre from this angle reminds me of his yacht.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    MacPro said:
    Apple should now build an identical version in central Florida just in case of the big one.  We have lots of space, i.e. low cost land, great climate and excellent infrastructure and Tampa Airport is awesome. Let's not forget our sea water is warm oh and we have great beaches and Happy Hour.  :)
    Florida is going to be under water.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    MacPro said:
    Ah, but your warm sea water will be covering most of the state in 50 years.