Samsung could have its own Apple Park with $5 billion, but has the ashes of Galaxy Note 7 ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    Yep, Daniel, as soon as I read the headline, I knew it was you.
    You seem to have become a bit of a curmudgeon lately. ;)
    Is his comment to be read negatively? I had the exact same thought, but that's because Daniel is very clever with his writing which results in even his headlines having wit. Whether you agree with his editorials or not is another issue altogether.
    I don't fine that he has wit, or is clever. I find that his writing is clumsy, obvious, and often loose with facts. They shouldn't be called editorials. They're opinion pieces, and should be labeled as such. an editorial is an expression of the publication, and they should try to stand above petty whining.
    edited March 2017 singularityavon b7tallest skilireland
  • Reply 22 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    Is his comment to be read negatively? I had the exact same thought, but that's because Daniel is very clever with his writing which results in even his headlines having wit. Whether you agree with his editorials or not is another issue altogether.
    It wasn't just this post.  Melgross has always been a poster I liked reading, he just seems to have become a wee bit negative of late.  So I was trying to prod him ;)

I love reading DED, I've yet to disagree with a word he's written to be honest and as a deeply involved  Apple 'person' since 1978 (user, dealer and software company) I claim some right to judge.  I would add I miss PED, his columns were excellent too but I just can't find any these days.
    MacPro said:
    djsherly said:
    I have trouble understanding why this article exists. As an editorial I would assume it's meant to comment on something topical but this just seems to be a rant about pundits complaining about Apple capex with some non-existent nexus with Samsung profits/exploding phones.

To be honest, the Samsung comparison could have been left out and the article would have stood well on its own, as well as chopping a few hundred words away.

It's no news flash, but Dilger confirms his zealotry here with a needless comparison with a competitor which adds nothing to the story. But that's no surprise, right?

:)

Of Course, it *is* April Fool's day as I wake.
    Oh lighten up.  You don't have to be a zealot to be pissed off that Google ripped off iOS and used Samsung to proliferate junk at a low price to try to steal business from Apple.   Therefor enjoying gloating at Samsung's problems is totally justified for an Apple user / investor.   Happily Google and Samsung failed and Apple has way over 90% of the profits so let them have at it.  Just a shame about the landfills.
    Look, I'm pissed off at these things too. I'm pissed off at a lot of things regarding Apple. I'm also a longtime Apple user, and have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of their stuff for my family, and my own company over the years. I was at least partly responsible the the NYC Board of Ed not dropping Apple altogether in the mid 1990s, when Apple own rep didn't say a thing. I'm also a fair investor in the company.

but I find it unseemly. Sure, maybe that's old fashioned, but this type of writing should be kept in the opinion section of the political publications.

he can write about troubles, but in doing so should show a bit more restraint. Opinions of his style seems to be split down the middle. I really don't think it gets AI more readers, and it lowers the reputation of the site. I spend a lot of time defending Apple elsewhere, but I like to feel as though, here, among what I often think of as family, I can temper the far out opinions.

i've been criticized, at different times, as being an Apple fanboy, and an Apple hater, and that's right here. So I'm just about in the middle.
    edited March 2017 mobiusgatorguyavon b7StevenSterkrevenanttallest skilireland
  • Reply 23 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Lets not get all high and mighty Apple.  There will be a day when they blow (waste) a ton of money on some failed product and the shoe will be on the other foot.  I too agree that 5 billion is too much money to spend on a building .  Plus the ongoing cost to maintain this building will be enormous.  
    Care to back that up with facts? HQ is so well designed it won't need heating or AC 9 mos of the year. They were cramped fo space so the capex expenditure makes complete sense, and helps recruit talent. 

As for failed products -- so you're actually claiming that it's inevitable that they release an exploding fire hazard that is banned on all flights because it may kill everyone aboard? That's what you're really saying? Jesus what FUD nonsense. 
    pscooter63radarthekatwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 24 of 72

melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    Well, I really don't like articles that knock Apple's major competitors in such an obvious, and disparaging way. What's the point, really? Is he just trying to make his fellow fans happy? I expect more objectivity from writers, and I never see it with Daniel's writing. He gets some glee pounding on the problems and faults of Samsung, in particular.

while I haven't been a Samsung fan for some time, it makes me uncomfortable. I'm on a lot of sites, and articles like this one are always brought up as proof that Apple users are just fanboys, and that Apple oriented sites, this one in particular, can't be trusted. I don't like that, but it's hard to argue the point, when indeed, we do have fanboy articles published here. All the other writers here avoid this, but he pushes the boundaries of what's proper.
    You don't seem to understand the centuries-old concept of an opinion piece. DED is an opinion columnist, he's not a beat reporter. What is remarkable is that someone who is/was staff (or at least volunteering) with a publishing site like AI doesn't understand this. DED doesn't need to pretend to be balanced in order to do his job. His job is write good editorials, which he does. 
    randominternetpersonpropodpscooter63watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    It wasn't just this post.  Melgross has always been a poster I liked reading, he just seems to have become a wee bit negative of late.  So I was trying to prod him ;)

I love reading DED, I've yet to disagree with a word he's written to be honest and as a deeply involved  Apple 'person' since 1978 (user, dealer and software company) I claim some right to judge.  I would add I miss PED, his columns were excellent too but I just can't find any these days.
     PED?
    PED = Philip Elmer-DeWitt
  • Reply 26 of 72
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    I don't fine that he has wit, or is clever. I find that his writing is clumsy, obvious, and often loose with facts. They shouldn't be called editorials. They're opinion pieces, and should be labeled as such. an editorial is an expression of the publication, and they should try to stand above petty whining.
    Oh man. Ok, an editorial *is* an opinion piece. Google it:

"a newspaper article written by or on behalf of an editor that gives an opinion on a topical issue."

...I find it odd that you feel his pieces are whining, rather than the rational voice to the crazed, doomsday prophecies of the sort peddled by the rest of the handwringing tech media. I welcome you to explain which parts are wrong. 

edited March 2017 randominternetpersonjohn.bradarthekatwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 27 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:

This is PEDs site:  https://www.ped30.com/
    john.b
  • Reply 28 of 72
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Thanks Daniel, I really enjoyed this one. A nice offset to all the fawning tech press coverage of the too-tall Sammy 8 phones.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    They shouldn't be called editorials. They're opinion pieces
    What the what what?!
    editorial
    noun
    A newspaper article written by or on behalf of an editor that gives an opinion on a topical issue.
    Source: New Oxford American Dictionary

edit: Pipped by @StrangeDays.

edited April 2017 netmage
  • Reply 30 of 72
    jbelkinjbelkin Posts: 74member
    First, there has been about $500 million of free publicity for apple's new HQ and nother $500 million when it opens - how many other companies get that?

It's not like they built in some small obsure city. If things really go south, the building isn't going own in value, just as sears did not lose money building the tower.

as for samsung, by the recall, it's evident that their flagship phones sell about 10% f what a typical iphone sells in its first month (one reason that samsung has NEVER EVER announced sales numbers) so the 8 will undoubtedly sell in even fewer numbers ... and a facial recognition system that can be defeated by a photo - typical samsung technology. their business plan woks in the fridge or washing machine market but against Apple? They are stumped.
    jony0radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 72
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Awesome Article DED, don't worry about the Haters.They are just secret Samsung fanboys, who are sad that their Chief is in Jail http://bgr.com/2017/02/17/samsung-boss-jay-y-lee-arrested/
    jony0propodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 72
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    MacPro said:
    djsherly said:
    I have trouble understanding why this article exists. As an editorial I would assume it's meant to comment on something topical but this just seems to be a rant about pundits complaining about Apple capex with some non-existent nexus with Samsung profits/exploding phones.

To be honest, the Samsung comparison could have been left out and the article would have stood well on its own, as well as chopping a few hundred words away.

It's no news flash, but Dilger confirms his zealotry here with a needless comparison with a competitor which adds nothing to the story. But that's no surprise, right?

Oh lighten up.  You don't have to be a zealot to be pissed off that Google ripped off iOS and used Samsung to proliferate junk at a low price to try to steal business from Apple.   Therefor enjoying gloating at Samsung's problems is totally justified for an Apple user / investor.   Happily Google and Samsung failed and Apple has way over 90% of the profits so let them have at it.  Just a shame about the landfills.
    Again, why can't he just stick the subject? Apple can spend their money however they like as long as it doesn't piss off stock holders. What the hell does Android being a rip off/shit/landfill have to do with it?

I'm an apple user and I couldn't give a shit about what is happening in the android or windows world. iOS and macOS do what I need and wasting energy on the hate is wasted energy.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    djsherly said:
     iOS and macOS do what I need and wasting energy on the hate is wasted energy.
    Then my suggestion is to not read article that cover anything other companies or technologies. The title clearly mentions Samsung and the Galaxy Note 7 so that would be a key indicator to skip the article, based on the criteria you've laid out for yourself. Furthermore, saying "I couldn't give a shit about" in a thread about said article seems like you're "wasting energy on the hate," as you put it. I certainly don't read every article because even under Apple's umbrella not everything appeals me.
    radarthekatwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 34 of 72
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    Well, I really don't like articles that knock Apple's major competitors in such an obvious, and disparaging way. What's the point, really? Is he just trying to make his fellow fans happy? I expect more objectivity from writers, and I never see it with Daniel's writing. He gets some glee pounding on the problems and faults of Samsung, in particular.

while I haven't been a Samsung fan for some time, it makes me uncomfortable. I'm on a lot of sites, and articles like this one are always brought up as proof that Apple users are just fanboys, and that Apple oriented sites, this one in particular, can't be trusted. I don't like that, but it's hard to argue the point, when indeed, we do have fanboy articles published here. All the other writers here avoid this, but he pushes the boundaries of what's proper.
    ^^^ This!
    gatorguytallest skilireland
  • Reply 35 of 72
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Mmm...

I just noticed that DED's personal roughlydrafted.com web site now redirects directly to AI.com...

What's that all about?

ireland
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Articles like this put AI at a disservice. The other articles are normally based around product launches, or releases or the like.
    They are informative, a little biased but a good source to refer to.

However once every couple of days we get these "Editorial" pieces that come in, that remind me of a seagull that comes and leaves a big splat of poo on a clean floor.
    Don't let the seagull ruin a good site.
    avon b7rogifan_newireland
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Soli said:
    djsherly said:
     iOS and macOS do what I need and wasting energy on the hate is wasted energy.
    Then my suggestion is to not read article that cover anything other companies or technologies. The title clearly mentions Samsung and the Galaxy Note 7 so that would be a key indicator to skip the article, based on the criteria you've laid out for yourself. Furthermore, saying "I couldn't give a shit about" in a thread about said article seems like you're "wasting energy on the hate," as you put it. I certainly don't read every article because even under Apple's umbrella not everything appeals me.
    Well thank you for your suggestion. It's not going to stop me from calling out egregious bs and irrational hate which is basically what this article is. 

I'm not a big fan of DED by any stretch but I do accept he has a particular insight which is unique and often on point. Then he spoils it with shit like this article which tries to draws a dichotomy which is frankly not there.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    If you're allergic to peanuts stop spooning the peanut butter into your face. 

Really, it's that simple. 
    SolipatchythepirateMacProai46pscooter63john.bradarthekatwatto_cobranetmagehaar
  • Reply 39 of 72
    If you're allergic to peanuts stop spooning the peanut butter into your face. 

Really, it's that simple. 
    You're preaching to the choir, Daniel. It's the easiest thing in the world to do.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    melgross said:

MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:

MacPro said:
    djsherly said:

Look, I'm pissed off at these things too. I'm pissed off at a lot of things regarding Apple. I'm also a longtime Apple user, and have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of their stuff for my family, and my own company over the years. I was at least partly responsible the the NYC Board of Ed not dropping Apple altogether in the mid 1990s, when Apple own rep didn't say a thing. I'm also a fair investor in the company.

but I find it unseemly. Sure, maybe that's old fashioned, but this type of writing should be kept in the opinion section of the political publications.

he can write about troubles, but in doing so should show a bit more restraint. Opinions of his style seems to be split down the middle. I really don't think it gets AI more readers, and it lowers the reputation of the site. I spend a lot of time defending Apple elsewhere, but I like to feel as though, here, among what I often think of as family, I can temper the far out opinions.

i've been criticized, at different times, as being an Apple fanboy, and an Apple hater, and that's right here. So I'm just about in the middle.
     I apologize if I offended.  I just can't help delighting in Samsungs' screw ups.  

I stll want to know if the circumvension of their facial recognition unlock can really be fooled with a picture of the owner or it it is an AI April Fool!