Samsung's Galaxy S8 facial recognition feature defeated with digital photo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    konger said:
    HA! I still ordered one - actually two, The S8 is10 times better than an iPhone (which looks exactly like my 2007 iPod touch btw). If only Apple could innovate like this. Or should I say steal. Apple has never innovated, it only steals or buys ideas from other companies (cough Xerox, yeah, your first breath was stolen). But most Apple sheep can't understand that. I am on a quest to educate them, but it's one step at a time. Apple sheep are predominantly very simple, non-tech people. The iPhone, a simple phone for very simple users.
    You're trying to defend a company that really SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    magman1979starwarsirelandMacsplosiondysamoriawatto_cobrachuy@mac.com
  • Reply 22 of 117
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    konger said:
    HA! I still ordered one - actually two, The S8 is10 times better than an iPhone (which looks exactly like my 2007 iPod touch btw). If only Apple could innovate like this. Or should I say steal. Apple has never innovated, it only steals or buys ideas from other companies (cough Xerox, yeah, your first breath was stolen). But most Apple sheep can't understand that. I am on a quest to educate them, but it's one step at a time. Apple sheep are predominantly very simple, non-tech people. The iPhone, a simple phone for very simple users.

magman1979irelandStrangeDaystmayMacsplosionSpamSandwichRayz2016pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 117
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member
    Shocking.
    I wonder the S8 would be better at telling the difference between a person's face and a picture if it had a dual-lens front camera. Or does Samsung think only one eye is needed for depth perception.
    anton zuykovwatto_cobrachuy@mac.com
  • Reply 24 of 117
    Who cares. No one is forced to use the facial recognition feature.

saltyzipSpamSandwichbrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 117
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Scene:
    Dark Detectives office, with spotlight overhead.
    Smoke from Detective Rocco's cigarette filling the air...
    Detective Rocco to Samsung owner: what your passcode? tell me your passcode!!!

Samsung Owner: I am pleading the 5th

Detective Rocco: (hold phone up to Samsung owners face) look into this phone!

Samsung Owner: (closes eyes and puts head down)

Detective Rocco: goes on Samsung Owners Instagram page and uses a selfie to unlock phone...

the end

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 117
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member

"Facial recognition is a convenient action to open your phone - similar to the 'swipe to unlock' action," the spokesperson said. "We offer the highest level of biometric authentication - fingerprint and iris - to lock your phone and authenticate access to Samsung Pay or Secure Folder."

The Galaxy S8 will also warn users who set up facial recognition that it's not as secure as the fingerprint or iris scanners and that it could be tricked with images that look similar to your face.

source: BusinessInsider

edited April 2017 dysamoriabrucemcsphericDonvermo
  • Reply 27 of 117
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Wait till Apple release the perfect facial recognition. 

An all of them will just copy Apple and say we did it first.
    starwarsrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 117
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    mwhite said:
    konger said:
    You're trying to defend a company that really SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is this konger guy for real? HTC had this back in their HTC 1. I had one of those. Samsung innovate? What an oxymoron. Is true what they say, stupid people are like dead people, only those around them know what they are.
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 117
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    mwhite said:
    konger said:
    Is this konger guy for real? HTC had this back in their HTC 1. I had one of those. Samsung innovate? What an oxymoron. Is true what they say, stupid people are like dead people, only those around them know what they are.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 117
    Who cares. No one is forced to use the facial recognition feature.

The thing is, this was replacing the fingerprint sensor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 117

The facial recognition problem is easily solved using thermal imaging. But I wouldn't expect an innovation like that from a copycat like Apple, who, when it comes to copying invention, is the pot that likes to call the kettle black. 
    Samsung did not innovate, with this. It really didn't change anything.

Also, I don't think "innovation" means what you think it means.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
     I assumed this was an April Fools joke but it was posted yesterday so maybe not.  If true it will teach Samsung to wait and copy Apple as usual and not try to innovate, "it’s not in their DNA."  ROFL ...

Great encore to the exploding trick too!  

edited April 2017 irelandSpamSandwichpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    BBWWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

And to top it off, Scamsung give a deflection about the security instead of acknowledging they screwed up, yet again!

if I spot anyone using this in the wild I'll immediately point this out to them and see if they'll be stupid enough to continue using it afterwards...
    Even better, bet them $5 that you can unlock their phone in 30 seconds.  Take a photo of them with your iPhone and voila!  

Too bad Apple is above doing something like that in a TV ad :smile: 
    I'd test it on a device before betting money, but how embarrassing is this for this shit-heap of a profit maker.
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 117
    After Google had this issue with Face Unlock 5 years ago, you'd think Samsung would have done something to prevent this. I mean, it's not like we didn't go through this all before.
    Well they did replace explosive phones with more explosive phones. They like to fuck up in multiples.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 117
    Nice! It gives Apple the chance to perfect their facial technology. Apple's facial technology is going to blow Samsung out of the water.
    Apple won't perfect it. They'll use better technology called fingerprint recognition.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 117
    Samsung S9 will be sold to men only with its penis-recognition eyes-off unlocking technology. You quickly slide the phone down the front of your pants to unlock. Streets ahead—such innovators!
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 117
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If not fire/explosion than security issue. But, I don't blame Samsung. Same old habits. All android phone manufacturers rush to implement feature/s with marketing hype than turns out half-backed solution in real world usage..
    pscooter63dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 117
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    Apple peeps, android had facial recognition back in 2013 on ice cream sandwich to unlock their phone.

This tech that hasn't moved forward in a secure enough manner in a long while, and can easily be defeated by a mug shot.

Why is appleinsider trying to bash Samsung on this feature, is it because they are struggling to find something​ original to click bait on S8?

thekongerSpamSandwichbrucemc
  • Reply 39 of 117
    thekonger said:

The S8 is almost all screen, it has hardly any bezel. That's not innovation?
    Correct. Reducing the size of a bezel is not innovation. My old Sony 32" CRT television had a large bezel. My current Panasonic 52" plasma TV has a much smaller bezel. Nobody was shouting "innovation!" about the reduced bezel.  Because it isn't innovation. 

From dictionary.com:

Innovation —noun 
    1. something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
    2. the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.
    StrangeDaysmagman1979dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 117
    Hey all, wondering what the "problem" is with Apple's Touch ID that it needs a "solution" like facial recognition?  For me, it seems like a solution to a problem which doesn't exist (on the iPhone anyway, watch and laptop might be a different story).  I hope Apple hasn't forgotten this basic principal of their functional ethos.
    brucemcwatto_cobra