Samsung's Galaxy S8 facial recognition feature defeated with digital photo

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    capasicum said:
    konger said:
    Apple has never innovated, it only steals or buys ideas from other companies (cough Xerox, yeah, your first breath was stolen).
    I think you will have to read way more on the history of IT. Apple is the only company to get the Xerox technologies as part of a business deal. Everybody else stole it, starting with Microsoft.

Actually, there are quite a few talks by Alan Kay on Youtube, I suggest you watch them all. What he says in brief is that all those technologies currently attributed to Xerox were 10-15 years in development, way before Xerox PARC was even established. Take a look at the Augmented Research Center (ARC) and what has been developed there.

The rest of the claimed thefts are as real as that one.
    More, from one of the guys in the room:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=On_Xerox,_Apple_and_Progress.txt
    magman1979tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 117
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    thekonger said:
    Lol, they deleted my post. Can't have any Apple fans unhappy. And I am real idrey, and your 'dead' statement is idiotic. Like, really, really, really idiotic. What do you do for a living? Just curious.

I just laugh because you guys cheer so much for Apple. But you're really asking if Samsung innovates? ALL TECH COMPANIES INNOVATE PEOPLE. Yes, even Apple. The S8 is almost all screen, it has hardly any bezel. That's not innovation?

Why are you guys so blindly devoted to Apple? I was once - when pizza box Macs were hot and I owned a spanking brand new 8100 with Mac OS 6 (I think it was OS 6) maybe 20 years ago?? Back then I did hardware and software support for macs. And guess what, Macs are no better than any other system. Linux, Windows, Mac, they're all just as good. It's what you do with it that counts.

But I apologize of I offended any of you guys. But really, trying to talk smack about the new S8? It's an awesome phone. If you don't want one cool, but don't try to talk crap about it (Less the Konger show up and smack you down ;)). jk, please don''t delete my post. Apple fans are big boys and girls and can handle the truth.
    Wow...just wow. So many fails in one post. 
    #1 So you think walking up to a total stranger(s), metaphorically jabbing them in the eye, then demur with a "you guys take yourselves too seriously" by way of an apology, is funny?
    #2 Try justifying #1 with an additional insult to truth and Apple history. 
    #3 Think that being a service grunt for Macs two decades ago entitles you to be a loudmouth blowhard. 
    #4 and always my favourite...accuse AppleInsiders of blind devotion, even as you show up here to shill for the S8...aka...major Irony Fail.
    Fuck off.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichjony0magman1979pscooter63dysamoriaradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 117
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    thekonger said:
    Lol, they deleted my post. Can't have any Apple fans unhappy. And I am real idrey, and your 'dead' statement is idiotic. Like, really, really, really idiotic. What do you do for a living? Just curious.

I just laugh because you guys cheer so much for Apple. But you're really asking if Samsung innovates? ALL TECH COMPANIES INNOVATE PEOPLE. Yes, even Apple. The S8 is almost all screen, it has hardly any bezel. That's not innovation?

Why are you guys so blindly devoted to Apple? I was once - when pizza box Macs were hot and I owned a spanking brand new 8100 with Mac OS 6 (I think it was OS 6) maybe 20 years ago?? Back then I did hardware and software support for macs. And guess what, Macs are no better than any other system. Linux, Windows, Mac, they're all just as good. It's what you do with it that counts.

But I apologize of I offended any of you guys. But really, trying to talk smack about the new S8? It's an awesome phone. If you don't want one cool, but don't try to talk crap about it (Less the Konger show up and smack you down ;)). jk, please don''t delete my post. Apple fans are big boys and girls and can handle the truth.
    A suggestion that will hopefully be helpful in other parts of your life: when you first show up in a new community, try to make a good impression. Stay positive. Built up some social capital. Once you've won over some people, you'll have better success getting them to listen to you. We have several angry people here on AI who have put in the time to become part of the community. Some of us ignore them 😉 but they don't get their accounts deleted (often). 
    SpamSandwichpscooter63dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 117
    thekonger said:

The S8 is almost all screen, it has hardly any bezel. That's not innovation?
    Correct. Reducing the size of a bezel is not innovation. My old Sony 32" CRT television had a large bezel. My current Panasonic 52" plasma TV has a much smaller bezel. Nobody was shouting "innovation!" about the reduced bezel.  Because it isn't innovation. 

From dictionary.com:

Innovation —noun 
    1. something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
    2. the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.
    So they had this in your old CRT and you're trying to say it's not innovative to put it into a phone? I won't go on. Hopefully you understand your error.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Who cares. No one is forced to use the facial recognition feature.

The thing is, this was replacing the fingerprint sensor.
    Where did you hear that? This feature is not biometric secure. When you turn it on, it reminds you of the fact and suggests other methods available on the phone. This is a non story. It's convenient for some but useless for others. It's just an option. Just like not setting a PIN code on your SIM. 
  • Reply 46 of 117
    Hey all, wondering what the "problem" is with Apple's Touch ID that it needs a "solution" like facial recognition?  For me, it seems like a solution to a problem which doesn't exist (on the iPhone anyway, watch and laptop might be a different story).  I hope Apple hasn't forgotten this basic principal of their functional ethos.
    Biometric options vary. Some people are suited to some kinds of scanning over others.

Having options is nice if the scanners can be accommodated and work reliably (and fast).
  • Reply 47 of 117

Who cares that there's a major security flaw? Access point to private data?

Youd be shitting the bed if this were an iphone. 
    magman1979bb-15pscooter63dysamoriaradarthekatbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 117

The facial recognition problem is easily solved using thermal imaging. But I wouldn't expect an innovation like that from a copycat like Apple, who, when it comes to copying invention, is the pot that likes to call the kettle black. 
    Welcome one-post-wonder! Care to back your troll trope nonsense up with facts? 
    magman1979brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 117
    saltyzip said:
    Apple peeps, android had facial recognition back in 2013 on ice cream sandwich to unlock their phone.

This tech that hasn't moved forward in a secure enough manner in a long while, and can easily be defeated by a mug shot.

Why is appleinsider trying to bash Samsung on this feature, is it because they are struggling to find something​ original to click bait on S8?

Because it's a major flaw, and quite pathetic for a brand new flag ship four years later. If this was Apple you be falling all over yourself to knock it.
    magman1979bb-15pscooter63dysamoriaradarthekatbrucemcanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 117
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Scamsung security busted on the very first day -- using a technique any grade school kid could use?

Why did I first read this on an Apple website?
    Can you imagine the outrage if this had had happened to an Apple product?
    ... Perhaps we're jaded to epic fails from Scamsung?
    StrangeDaysjony0magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 117
    avon b7 said:

Where did you hear that? This feature is not biometric secure. When you turn it on, it reminds you of the fact and suggests other methods available on the phone. This is a non story. It's convenient for some but useless for others. It's just an option. Just like not setting a PIN code on your SIM. 
    Oh yes, circumventing the phone's lock authentication with a spoofed photo -- total non-story....for an android POS, that is. 

The fact that theyre aware aware of the vulnerability of their crappy implementation and offer a warning doesn't negate it. If it sucks, then don't ship with it. Use motion or thermal or 3D to make it work properly. Anything else is just serving a shit sandwich in order to be first to market. I guarantee you Apple's implementation, if they offer one, won't be defeated by a static photo. 

The way you apologists come come out to defend the knockoffs is mind-numbing. 
    bb-15magman1979pscooter63dysamoriaradarthekatbrucemcstarwarswatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 117
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Samsung was in a dire situation, they lost billions on the S7, they needed a new flagship phone on the market ASAP. They had to make darn sure they got the battery design under control (TBD), now they need innovative new features to sell this new model. Those features are: 1) a screen with rounded edges & home button moved to back, 2) facial unlock, and 3) Bixby assistant.  Arguably a fail on all three. So is the strategy of rushing products to market with half-baked solutions smart? I'd say no.  Apple often learns from the costly mistakes of its competitors. Apple gets destroyed for taking their time to 'do it right the first time' (two big exceptions however are Siri and the original Maps release) It will interesting to see how they implement wireless charging, OLED screens, advanced biometrics and AR in their next few models. 
    StrangeDaysbb-15magman1979anton zuykovslprescottstarwarswatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 117
    avon b7 said:

Oh yes, circumventing the phone's lock authentication with a spoofed photo -- total non-story....for an android POS, that is. 

The fact that theyre aware aware of the vulnerability of their crappy implementation and offer a warning doesn't negate it. If it sucks, then don't ship with it. Use motion or thermal or 3D to make it work properly. Anything else is just serving a shit sandwich in order to be first to market. I guarantee you Apple's implementation, if they offer one, won't be defeated by a static photo. 

The way you apologists come come out to defend the knockoffs is mind-numbing. 
    No. Not at all.

If you decide to use a poor pass code, you are in a similar situation but that is your decision, whatever phone you use. As is, not using for example, a PIN SIM code.

Facial recognition is not secure. The phone makes you aware of this and provides alternatives (that are equal to and go beyond what the iPhone offers). It is your decision to choose whichever system you prefer. If you prefer to use the facial recognition system for convenience, you can. Just as you can use a weak passcode.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "new facial recognition feature only controls device unlocking"

oh good, I was worried unauthorized users could access my contacts, apps, etc. wtf. Those are pretty important to me!
    bb-15pscooter63dysamoriaradarthekatbrucemcStrangeDaysstarwarswatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 117
    thekonger said:
    thekonger said:

The S8 is almost all screen, it has hardly any bezel. That's not innovation?
    Correct. Reducing the size of a bezel is not innovation. My old Sony 32" CRT television had a large bezel. My current Panasonic 52" plasma TV has a much smaller bezel. Nobody was shouting "innovation!" about the reduced bezel.  Because it isn't innovation. 

From dictionary.com:

Innovation —noun 
    1. something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
    2. the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.
    So they had this in your old CRT and you're trying to say it's not innovative to put it into a phone? I won't go on. Hopefully you understand your error.
    I believe you failed to understand what I wrote. If I'm incorrect and you did understand then I believe you "won't go on" because you can't. Reducing size of bezels is not innovation. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 117
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Your face should be the username, not the password.

tmaypolymniaretrogustopscooter63dysamoriaradarthekatslprescottStevenSterkRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 117
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    brucemc said:
    Where is the face palm emoji when you need it!
    I think such a development demands a "faceplant" GIF instead.
    magman1979dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 117
    Fatman said:
    Samsung was in a dire situation, they lost billions on the S7, they needed a new flagship phone on the market ASAP. They had to make darn sure they got the battery design under control (TBD), now they need innovative new features to sell this new model. Those features are: 1) a screen with rounded edges & home button moved to back, 2) facial unlock, and 3) Bixby assistant.  Arguably a fail on all three. So is the strategy of rushing products to market with half-baked solutions smart? I'd say no.  Apple often learns from the costly mistakes of its competitors. Apple gets destroyed for taking their time to 'do it right the first time' (two big exceptions however are Siri and the original Maps release) It will interesting to see how they implement wireless charging, OLED screens, advanced biometrics and AR in their next few models. 
    The S8 wasn't rushed to market. It was delayed slightly so it wasn't a case of ASAP. The home button isn't on the back. Facial recognition is a feature but not particularly new. The iris scanner, though is relatively new for Samsung (it was on the recalled phone). Rounded edges yes, but it is an extension of the Edge line. I haven't seen anything 'half baked' on this phone. Facial recognition comes with adequate warnings and AFAIK can't even be used for payments.

I would not say Apple got it wrong with Siri. In its day it was adequate. The problem is that it's fallen behind competitors. Maps was a disaster but you forget Mobile Me, iOS not even following Apple's own design guidelines, boatloads of updates pulled due to poor testing and heaps of other features that were half baked right out of the box. Yep, totally half baked.

I think I have got AirDrop to work just once. Last night I had to transfer a note from an iPad Air 2 and miraculously, my iPad Mini 2 showed up in AirDrop! I nearly fainted. I chose the Mini and the Air 2 said 'waiting'. I was optmistic. Sadly, it sat there 'waiting' until I cancelled the operation. 15 minutes of my life stolen. However, encouraged by just seeing the Mini 2, I retried. This time I got the notification on the Mini 2. Wow! I thought nothing could go wrong from here but then a message popped up: 'to complete this operation, you must download an App from the App Store'.

That would require an AppleID password which I didn't have to hand, so I gave up.

You may be wondering what I was trying to transfer. It was a link, simply copy/pasted into a note. Absolutely nothing else.

That, my friend, is the definition of half baked and if you look this issue up on Google you will see I am not alone and the only real potential solution is complete overkill: a restore.

Of course, exactly why I have to use the half baked AirDrop in the first place (which requires Bluetooth to be on, iCloud and users logged into AppleID etc) is a complete mystery. You can send a file by Bluetooth from a Mac to any other Bluetooth device with the right BT profile in seconds. Same with Android phones. Why can't iDevices do the same and why isn't AirDrop freaking bulletproof years after launch?

edited April 2017 Fatman
  • Reply 59 of 117
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ireland said:
    Samsung S9 will be sold to men only with its penis-recognition eyes-off unlocking technology. You quickly slide the phone down the front of your pants to unlock. Streets ahead—such innovators!
    Mmm... SmartPhone envy :)
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 117
    Annnnd that's the end of that gimmick.

Next.
    doozydozendysamoriapscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra