Samsung's Galaxy S8 facial recognition feature defeated with digital photo

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    Hey all, wondering what the "problem" is with Apple's Touch ID that it needs a "solution" like facial recognition? 
    Absolute nothing. You have to learn to just ignore the tech media blathering nonsense in the run up to the annual iPhone release. They have no idea what they're talking about.

When Apple does NOTHING like this in the next iPhone, AI will completely forget about the non-stop bullshit articles they posted about it, and will spin it to say that they never acknowledged such a possibility.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 62 of 117
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Hey all, wondering what the "problem" is with Apple's Touch ID that it needs a "solution" like facial recognition?  For me, it seems like a solution to a problem which doesn't exist (on the iPhone anyway, watch and laptop might be a different story).  I hope Apple hasn't forgotten this basic principal of their functional ethos.
    It is a single function piece of hardware that takes up space on a phone challenged for space. Whatever the cost, eliminating it reduces manufacturing costs as well. Face recognition and iris scanning use technology already built-into the phone for other purposes. Moreover, with the home button removed from the front of the phone, and embedded as a virtual button in the bezeless iPhone, the fingerprint reader must go on the rear of the phone where it's less convenient, especially when the phone is laying on a flat surface, or sitting in a dock or otherwise. Unless Apple finds a way to embed the fingerprint sensor in the front display, then it has to go away eventually to allow Apple to pack in more features into the phone without making design compromises. In some respects, Samsung is going down the right path -- moving the fingerprint scanner to the rear where it's less convenient, encouraging users to use face recognition and iris scanning; in that regard it's a very Apple-like move. If the rumors are true, it's exactly what I would expect Apple to do for the next phone, keeping TouchID as a fail safe backup to the new tech, and dropping it altogether in the nex iPhone redesign after the new security features have been perfected in real world use.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 63 of 117
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Even if besides using the regular camera for facial recognition using a thermal imager can also be spoofed.  All one needs to do have a picture of the person's face while having a hair dryer blowing hot air on the picture.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 117
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    As iPhone features become increasingly technologically difficult, copycats will struggle more and more to replicate Apple's superior implementation. And here it will show, if iPhone rumors pan out. 
    NY1822watto_cobrastarwars
  • Reply 65 of 117
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Obviously this guy knows what he is talking about.  I wish I did...
    Yeah, you can read that at least two ways.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 66 of 117
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    avon b7 said:

I think I have got AirDrop to work just once. Last night I had to transfer a note from an iPad Air 2 and miraculously, my iPad Mini 2 showed up in AirDrop! I nearly fainted. I chose the Mini and the Air 2 said 'waiting'. I was optmistic. Sadly, it sat there 'waiting' until I cancelled the operation. 15 minutes of my life stolen. However, encouraged by just seeing the Mini 2, I retried. This time I got the notification on the Mini 2. Wow! I thought nothing could go wrong from here but then a message popped up: 'to complete this operation, you must download an App from the App Store'.

That would require an AppleID password which I didn't have to hand, so I gave up.

You may be wondering what I was trying to transfer. It was a link, simply copy/pasted into a note. Absolutely nothing else.

That, my friend, is the definition of half baked and if you look this issue up on Google you will see I am not alone and the only real potential solution is complete overkill: a restore.

Of course, exactly why I have to use the half baked AirDrop in the first place (which requires Bluetooth to be on, iCloud and users logged into AppleID etc) is a complete mystery. You can send a file by Bluetooth from a Mac to any other Bluetooth device with the right BT profile in seconds. Same with Android phones. Why can't iDevices do the same and why isn't AirDrop freaking bulletproof years after launch?

Ouch...you obviously like to make things difficult for yourself.

That my friend is the definition of half-baked!

Never heard of Universal Clipboard?

<chuckle>

edited April 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 117
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    jungmark said:
    "new facial recognition feature only controls device unlocking"

oh good, I was worried unauthorized users could access my contacts, apps, etc. wtf. Those are pretty important to me!
    Which is why perhaps a guest mode is needed.

The other day a girl came up to me in the street, crying and claiming someone had just stolen her iPhone 7. She was asking people if she could use their phone to make a call. She seemed genuine and I let her use mine. There are many reasons why you might want someone to have limited access to your phone.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 68 of 117
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

I think I have got AirDrop to work just once. Last night I had to transfer a note from an iPad Air 2 and miraculously, my iPad Mini 2 showed up in AirDrop! I nearly fainted. I chose the Mini and the Air 2 said 'waiting'. I was optmistic. Sadly, it sat there 'waiting' until I cancelled the operation. 15 minutes of my life stolen. However, encouraged by just seeing the Mini 2, I retried. This time I got the notification on the Mini 2. Wow! I thought nothing could go wrong from here but then a message popped up: 'to complete this operation, you must download an App from the App Store'.

That would require an AppleID password which I didn't have to hand, so I gave up.

You may be wondering what I was trying to transfer. It was a link, simply copy/pasted into a note. Absolutely nothing else.

That, my friend, is the definition of half baked and if you look this issue up on Google you will see I am not alone and the only real potential solution is complete overkill: a restore.

Of course, exactly why I have to use the half baked AirDrop in the first place (which requires Bluetooth to be on, iCloud and users logged into AppleID etc) is a complete mystery. You can send a file by Bluetooth from a Mac to any other Bluetooth device with the right BT profile in seconds. Same with Android phones. Why can't iDevices do the same and why isn't AirDrop freaking bulletproof years after launch?

<chuckle>

No. Using universal clipboard definitely would make things difficult for myself as my Mini doesn't support it.

• Reply 69 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

<chuckle>

No. Using universal clipboard definitely would make things difficult for myself as my Mini doesn't support it.

Your Mini 2 supports Universal Clipboard.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681#clipboard
    edited April 2017 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

<chuckle>

No. The Mini 2 supports it if it is running continuity requirements. My Mini 2 doesn't support it. 
  • Reply 71 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:
    Samsung was in a dire situation, they lost billions on the S7, they needed a new flagship phone on the market ASAP. They had to make darn sure they got the battery design under control (TBD), now they need innovative new features to sell this new model. Those features are: 1) a screen with rounded edges & home button moved to back, 2) facial unlock, and 3) Bixby assistant.  Arguably a fail on all three. So is the strategy of rushing products to market with half-baked solutions smart? I'd say no.  Apple often learns from the costly mistakes of its competitors. Apple gets destroyed for taking their time to 'do it right the first time' (two big exceptions however are Siri and the original Maps release) It will interesting to see how they implement wireless charging, OLED screens, advanced biometrics and AR in their next few models. 
    The S8 wasn't rushed to market. It was delayed slightly so it wasn't a case of ASAP. The home button isn't on the back. Facial recognition is a feature but not particularly new. The iris scanner, though is relatively new for Samsung (it was on the recalled phone). Rounded edges yes, but it is an extension of the Edge line. I haven't seen anything 'half baked' on this phone. Facial recognition comes with adequate warnings and AFAIK can't even be used for payments.

I would not say Apple got it wrong with Siri. In its day it was adequate. The problem is that it's fallen behind competitors. Maps was a disaster but you forget Mobile Me, iOS not even following Apple's own design guidelines, boatloads of updates pulled due to poor testing and heaps of other features that were half baked right out of the box. Yep, totally half baked.

Thats not how you share a link in iOS.

Also What note app were you using?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

<chuckle>

No. The Mini 2 supports it if it is running continuity requirements. My Mini 2 doesn't support it. 
    Well, that's certainly splitting hairs. 

This is is like saying your Ford F-150 doesn't support pulling a trailer because you've chosen not to add a (free) hitch. 
    pscooter63magman1979Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:
    Samsung was in a dire situation, they lost billions on the S7, they needed a new flagship phone on the market ASAP. They had to make darn sure they got the battery design under control (TBD), now they need innovative new features to sell this new model. Those features are: 1) a screen with rounded edges & home button moved to back, 2) facial unlock, and 3) Bixby assistant.  Arguably a fail on all three. So is the strategy of rushing products to market with half-baked solutions smart? I'd say no.  Apple often learns from the costly mistakes of its competitors. Apple gets destroyed for taking their time to 'do it right the first time' (two big exceptions however are Siri and the original Maps release) It will interesting to see how they implement wireless charging, OLED screens, advanced biometrics and AR in their next few models. 
    The S8 wasn't rushed to market. It was delayed slightly so it wasn't a case of ASAP. The home button isn't on the back. Facial recognition is a feature but not particularly new. The iris scanner, though is relatively new for Samsung (it was on the recalled phone). Rounded edges yes, but it is an extension of the Edge line. I haven't seen anything 'half baked' on this phone. Facial recognition comes with adequate warnings and AFAIK can't even be used for payments.

I would not say Apple got it wrong with Siri. In its day it was adequate. The problem is that it's fallen behind competitors. Maps was a disaster but you forget Mobile Me, iOS not even following Apple's own design guidelines, boatloads of updates pulled due to poor testing and heaps of other features that were half baked right out of the box. Yep, totally half baked.

The Air 2 isn't mine so my options were limited. I didn't have all passwords available to me etc and didn't want to install anything new. That's why I just wanted a simple and direct solution. I could have gone down a different route, I know, but when I saw my Mini 2 pop up in AirDrop I thought I could get it over in a jiffy. It should have worked.

The note application is the iOS 10 app that the Air 2 is running.

The point isn't really how to share links or find workarounds for file transfer but that AirDrop has had problems since it was released and still has them.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:

The Air 2 isn't mine so my options were limited. I didn't have all passwords available to me etc and didn't want to install anything new. That's why I just wanted a simple and direct solution. I could have gone down a different route, I know, but when I saw my Mini 2 pop up in AirDrop I thought I could get it over in a jiffy. It should have worked.

The point isn't really how to share links or find workarounds for file transfer but that AirDrop has had problems since it was released and still has them.

Your iPad probably didn't know the file format it was opening. I'm honestly surprised, it gave you that option.

I tested transferring a .RTF file using my mac to an iPhone running the 10.3.2 beta.
    Being that it was a common file format, it gave me the option to open the file in several apps I had installed.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

<chuckle>

This is is like saying your Ford F-150 doesn't support pulling a trailer because you've chosen not to add a (free) hitch. 
    I wish it were splitting hairs bit it isn't. The Mini syncs to a Mac that can't run the minimum requirements that iOS 10 needs. In a word, the right version of iTunes. I don't particularly want to upgrade to something when things are fine just how they are. I also detest the latest iTunes re-design and the havoc it tends to wreak on updating older libraries. I've been bitten far too many times by Apple's self created problems that never ever get fixed or require you to upgrade to fix.

You are probably unaware of them as they would (understandably, for you) be insignificant, but let me give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I spent a huge amount of time tagging photos with IPTC information. The idea was to make them immune to any other tagging system or lock in. I could then use a system level feature like smartsearches to retrieve certain sets of photos. A simple solution. The only pain involved was the actual tagging.

It worked very well - until Apple updated the system and someone somewhere screwed up part of the localisation process and 'localised' internal elements that were previously in English. That single change broke forever all my smartsearches. Anyway, that's my reading of what happened as nobody, nowhere ever found an 'official' cause to explain why my searches stopped working. Why? My problem wasn't worth the effort to investigate and fix as very, very few people would have been affected by this change.

Please don't get me started on the utter crud that iTunes is. Pure voodoo.

Just two of the reasons I take upgrades very seriously.

edited April 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 76 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mike54 said:
    Is this for real or an April Fools joke?
    Hard to know at this point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 117
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    macseeker said:
    Even if besides using the regular camera for facial recognition using a thermal imager can also be spoofed.  All one needs to do have a picture of the person's face while having a hair dryer blowing hot air on the picture.
    You really know nothing about thermal imaging and biology.
    StrangeDaysmacguistarwars
  • Reply 78 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

<chuckle>

I wish it were splitting hairs bit it isn't. The Mini syncs to a Mac that can't run the minimum requirements that iOS 10 needs. In a word, the right version of iTunes. I don't particularly want to upgrade to something when things are fine just how they are. I also detest the latest iTunes re-design and the havoc it tends to wreak on updating older libraries. I've been bitten far too many times by Apple's self created problems that never ever get fixed or require you to upgrade to fix.

You are probably unaware of them as they would (understandably, for you) be insignificant, but let me give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I spent a huge amount of time tagging photos with IPTC information. The idea was to make them immune to any other tagging system or lock in. I could then use a system level feature like smartsearches to retrieve certain sets of photos. A simple solution. The only pain involved was the actual tagging.

It worked very well - until Apple updated the system and someone somewhere screwed up part of the localisation process and 'localised' internal elements that were previously in English. That single change broke forever all my smartsearches. Anyway, that's my reading of what happened as nobody, nowhere ever found an 'official' cause to explain why my searches stopped working. Why? My problem wasn't worth the effort to investigate and fix as very, very few people would have been affected by this change.

Please don't get me started on the utter crud that iTunes is. Pure voodoo.

Just two of the reasons I take upgrades very seriously.

Thats probably the reason you had problems with airdrop.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 117
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mike54 said:
    Is this for real or an April Fools joke?
    It's both!
  • Reply 80 of 117
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:

We routinely airdrop links to each other -- Notes is absolutely not required, you just AD the page from Safari's share sheet and it pops up on the target machine. 
    anton zuykovwatto_cobra