Samsung could have its own Apple Park with $5 billion, but has the ashes of Galaxy Note 7 ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't understand what's going on. I'm actually a bit surprised that AI is still posting DED articles but that might be because it gets clicks. Because other AI decisions have turned it from a fan site that it was a decade ago to letting the forum become playground for Google partisans shitting on everything that Apple does, whether or not it's on topic, "because it makes the forum more lively".

And while I'm not a fan of DED's flagrant style, I do think it's worth pointing out how much the tech pundit industry is very biased against Apple. There's also a long standing practice that Apple gets shit on for doing X then a year later, competitors are praised for doing X, with negative credit to Apple for blazing that trail and normalizing X for everyone else.
    edited April 2017 lkruppai46pscooter63baconstangwatto_cobratallest skil
  • Reply 42 of 72
    djsherly said:
    MacPro said:
    djsherly said:
    I have trouble understanding why this article exists. As an editorial I would assume it's meant to comment on something topical but this just seems to be a rant about pundits complaining about Apple capex with some non-existent nexus with Samsung profits/exploding phones.

To be honest, the Samsung comparison could have been left out and the article would have stood well on its own, as well as chopping a few hundred words away.

It's no news flash, but Dilger confirms his zealotry here with a needless comparison with a competitor which adds nothing to the story. But that's no surprise, right?

:)

Of Course, it *is* April Fool's day as I wake.
    Oh lighten up.  You don't have to be a zealot to be pissed off that Google ripped off iOS and used Samsung to proliferate junk at a low price to try to steal business from Apple.   Therefor enjoying gloating at Samsung's problems is totally justified for an Apple user / investor.   Happily Google and Samsung failed and Apple has way over 90% of the profits so let them have at it.  Just a shame about the landfills.
    Again, why can't he just stick the subject? Apple can spend their money however they like as long as it doesn't piss off stock holders. What the hell does Android being a rip off/shit/landfill have to do with it?

I'm an apple user and I couldn't give a shit about what is happening in the android or windows world. iOS and macOS do what I need and wasting energy on the hate is wasted energy.
    I know where you are coming from but I can't help but feel like maybe you missed the point. In short, Apple spends $5 billion on a new headquarters and the tech press freak out, Apple is doomed, etc. Samsung loses $5 billion in exploding phone costs and the tech press says, "no big deal, everything is fine". 

So why is it a big deal that Apple, who is sitting on literally hundreds of billions of dollars, spends a small portion of it? Meanwhile, Samsung loses a similar amount in a division that competes with Apple but doesn't get nearly the revenue from but they get a pass. 

It's just backwards. 
    edited April 2017 propodDanielEranpscooter63baconstangradarthekatDeelronwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 43 of 72
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    Great article Daniel. I enjoyed your analysis, and as always, I learned a few things.
    propodDanielEranbaconstangpscooter63watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 44 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jeffdm said:
    Because other AI decisions have turned it from a fan site that it was a decade ago to letting the forum become playground for Google partisans shitting on everything that Apple does, whether or not it’s on topic, "because it makes the forum more lively".

Amen, and again I say Amen! But to be fair, MacRumors and 9TO5Mac are levels of magnitude worse. 
    edited April 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Mmm...

I just noticed that DED's personal roughlydrafted.com web site now redirects directly to AI.com...

What's that all about?

Well, if you notice Mr. Dilger’s profile he’s now listed as an AI ‘Editor’ which to me means he’s part of the AI team now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 72
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Every 10 weeks my wife and I drive over the hill from Santa Cruz to San Jose and Cupertino to stock up on groceries at Asian markets. One of them, Ranch 99, is on Wolfe Road right across from Apple Way, the private road entrance to Apple Park. One must really see the building close up to appreciate the beauty of this structure. We went last Friday and it's really breathtaking. Can't wait until our next trip when parts of it should be open to the public.
    propodDanielEranai46pscooter63baconstangRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dsd said:
    Every 10 weeks my wife and I drive over the hill from Santa Cruz to San Jose and Cupertino to stock up on groceries at Asian markets. One of them, Ranch 99, is on Wolfe Road right across from Apple Way, the private road entrance to Apple Park. One must really see the building close up to appreciate the beauty of this structure. We went last Friday and it's really breathtaking. Can't wait until our next trip when parts of it should be open to the public.
    1) And the scale of it. Even though we can
    look at trucks, people and other aspects by which we can estimate scale, you have to be on the ground to really appreciate the size.

2) I hope in 9 weeks they'll have parts open to the public, but I'm guessing that'll one of the last things that occurs. I could even see an event at Steve Jobs Theatre for journalists before they open up the main structure for guests.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 72
    The Apple haters don't care about Apple Park and how much it might cost.

I was collared by a Mobile Phone sales droid a few weeks ago while out shopping.
    He was trying to flog me a Samsung Galaxy A. Not and S7 but a Galaxy A! This is being heavily advertised in the UK at the moment.
    I asked, 'don't you have any iPhones?'
    He laughed and said, 'We aren't promoting Apple these days'
    I asked, 'why?"
    'They are old and outdated. Their marked share is dropping like a stone and is already in single figures'

I shook my head and walked away.

There is nothing you can do when people have that attitude.

Their shop was wall to wall Samsung. If you went online, then with a bit of work find an iPhone 7. Note no iPhone 7+.
    It seems to me that the company gets a lot more commission from Samsung hence the steering towards them.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 72
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    The Apple haters don't care about Apple Park and how much it might cost.

I was collared by a Mobile Phone sales droid a few weeks ago while out shopping.
    He was trying to flog me a Samsung Galaxy A. Not and S7 but a Galaxy A! This is being heavily advertised in the UK at the moment.
    I asked, 'don't you have any iPhones?'
    He laughed and said, 'We aren't promoting Apple these days'
    I asked, 'why?"
    'They are old and outdated. Their marked share is dropping like a stone and is already in single figures'

I shook my head and walked away.

There is nothing you can do when people have that attitude.

Their shop was wall to wall Samsung. If you went online, then with a bit of work find an iPhone 7. Note no iPhone 7+.
    It seems to me that the company gets a lot more commission from Samsung hence the steering towards them.
    It works both ways. When the iPhone was released, carriers got exclusives from Apple and used demand to hook people up to long plans. Those days have passed.

Now carriers get vouchers from Huawei if they install Huawei networking backbones. The vouchers can be redeemed for handsets which get marketed heavily (especially premium handsets, which in turn increase the perceived value of the carrier). Samsung offers its own deals too. Smaller brands even own label handsets for some chains.

Apple has its Applestores.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    I miss user "Corrections." What ever happened to that guy?
    baconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 51 of 72
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    I miss user "Corrections." What ever happened to that guy?
    Wasn't that  a covert DED name?
    ireland
  • Reply 52 of 72
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:
    Yep, Daniel, as soon as I read the headline, I knew it was you.
    You have a problem with Daniel calling a spade a spade? He writes what we Apple fans think. We don’t say much because of the ‘fanboi’ label. This blog, for example, is divided into two basic groups, one of which is dedicated to counterarguments against any positive news or opinion about Apple.
    I have a problem with him appealing to fanboys in articles. Sure, we can be fanboys, but writers shouldn't be.

MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    You seem to have become a bit of a curmudgeon lately. ;)
    Forgetting your moderator hat?

"Having a problem with him appealing to fanboys" is going too far in your role as moderator. Drawing lines in the sands of opinion with your own opinion is straying too far from the requisite objectivity of such. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 72

melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    Well, I really don't like articles that knock Apple's major competitors in such an obvious, and disparaging way. What's the point, really? Is he just trying to make his fellow fans happy? I expect more objectivity from writers, and I never see it with Daniel's writing. He gets some glee pounding on the problems and faults of Samsung, in particular.

while I haven't been a Samsung fan for some time, it makes me uncomfortable. I'm on a lot of sites, and articles like this one are always brought up as proof that Apple users are just fanboys, and that Apple oriented sites, this one in particular, can't be trusted. I don't like that, but it's hard to argue the point, when indeed, we do have fanboy articles published here. All the other writers here avoid this, but he pushes the boundaries of what's proper.
    "What's proper"??? Political correctness, much?
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 54 of 72
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    Is his comment to be read negatively? I had the exact same thought, but that's because Daniel is very clever with his writing which results in even his headlines having wit. Whether you agree with his editorials or not is another issue altogether.
    I don't fine that he has wit, or is clever. I find that his writing is clumsy, obvious, and often loose with facts. They shouldn't be called editorials. They're opinion pieces, and should be labeled as such. an editorial is an expression of the publication, and they should try to stand above petty whining.
    Oh man. Ok, an editorial *is* an opinion piece. Google it:

"a newspaper article written by or on behalf of an editor that gives an opinion on a topical issue."

...I find it odd that you feel his pieces are whining, rather than the rational voice to the crazed, doomsday prophecies of the sort peddled by the rest of the handwringing tech media. I welcome you to explain which parts are wrong. 

StrangeDays, you just nailed it.  How people don't see Apple's position within the history of the modern technology era and the many forces aligned against this one company just blows me away.  The whole IT Tower of Babel, the media who earns its living through the huge amounts of advertising money directed to the entire Android market, and before that the entire Windows PC market, comprising a large number of companies and individuals under threat from the Apple way of doing things, unable or unwilling to adapt and therefore incentivized to attack with misinformation and a glossing over of Apple's achievements, as though the company that invented the modern personal computer, the modern smartphone, and the modern notion of what a tablet computer should be had really nothing to do with the advancement of those fields.  

But it's all good.  In the end, Apple is prevailing, not by counterattacking but instead by doing exactly what Apple has always done; by designing and delivering the future of personal computing.  
    edited April 2017 pscooter63watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 55 of 72
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Articles like this put AI at a disservice. The other articles are normally based around product launches, or releases or the like.
    They are informative, a little biased but a good source to refer to.

However once every couple of days we get these "Editorial" pieces that come in, that remind me of a seagull that comes and leaves a big splat of poo on a clean floor.
    Don't let the seagull ruin a good site.
    Actually, it's articles like this that give a historical perspective that do a service to truth.  Truth over misinformation (see my comment above) is always a good thing.
    Solipscooter63watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 56 of 72
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

Articles like this put AI at a disservice. The other articles are normally based around product launches, or releases or the like.

However once every couple of days we get these "Editorial" pieces that come in, that remind me of a seagull that comes and leaves a big splat of poo on a clean floor.
    Actually, it's articles like this that give a historical perspective that do a service to truth.  Truth over misinformation (see my comment above) is always a good thing.
    Nah all these constant exceedingly pro-Apple opinion pieces are a disservice to this site. Maybe once in a while throw in some constructive criticism pieces for some balance? What was the point of this opinion piece other than bashing Samsung is good for clicks and makes Apple fanboys feel good?

How about a fair but critical look at the iPad and where Apple needs to take iOS on the iPad and how they can make iPad a true Mac replacement? How about a fair but critical look at Apple's cloud/ML/AI efforts and areas of improvement needed for iCloud, Siri, Proactive etc.? Apple isn't perfect and taking a look at areas where they could stand to improve isn't equating the company as doomed. No company is perfect. 
    avon b7gatorguyireland
  • Reply 57 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    How about a fair but critical look at the iPad and where Apple needs to take iOS on the iPad and how they can make iPad a true Mac replacement?
    If you want write an editorial that suggests that the iPad run macOS or that the iPad get a full version of Xcode so that it can be a "true Mac replacement" go right ahead as you're entitled to your opinion, but it's not fanboyism that tells me that it's a ridiculous notion that a device whose main UI is touchscreen without a mouse or keyboard be designed around the same failed design parameters that WinTablets tried to do achieve since the 1990s.
    edited April 2017 pscooter63Rayz2016watto_cobranetmagecornchip
  • Reply 58 of 72
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member

In the case of DED that isn't totally correct. The historical facts are often fleshed out (or totally soaked) with biased opinion. The facts themselves are sometimes questionable for the style in which they are presented.

There is no real balance in his opinion pieces. 

As for editorial and opinion pieces themselves, I think everyone has their right to give an opinion. It's true that editorial content often follows the editorial line of the publication but perhaps in this case AI let's editors swing freely. If a piece is clearly marked as an opinion  I think that's clear enough. Of course, if your piece is opened in the forums you should be prepared to take the rough with the smooth. Users' opinions are just as valid as the author's.
    edited April 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 59 of 72
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Lets not get all high and mighty Apple.  There will be a day when they blow (waste) a ton of money on some failed product and the shoe will be on the other foot.  I too agree that 5 billion is too much money to spend on a building .  Plus the ongoing cost to maintain this building will be enormous.  
    We probably will never know the costs of the failed experiments.   We don't know how much they spent on Project titan,  there doesn't appear to be much that has come out of that.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    john.b said:
    Thanks Daniel, I really enjoyed this one. A nice offset to all the fawning tech press coverage of the too-tall Sammy 8 phones.
    It's a beautiful looking phone as with the Galaxy S7 Edge before it .

but the finger print scanner is in the dumbest location and the Camera doesn't appear to have improved much at all.   It's not going to be any where near competitive with the 7plus.
    edited April 2017