Samsung's Galaxy S8 facial recognition feature defeated with digital photo

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Who cares. No one is forced to use the facial recognition feature.

if no one cares, why then even implement that "feature", (other than bragging about it later to the fandroids)?
  • Reply 82 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mike54 said:
    Is this for real or an April Fools joke?
    It's both!
    It isn't both.
  • Reply 83 of 117
    bluefire1 said:
    So Apple isn't doomed after all?  ;)
    Oh no. They're still doomed, just as they have been every day for the past 40 years. :#
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 117

if no one cares, why then even implement that "feature", (other than bragging about it later to the fandroids)?

Because as many has said, facial recognition has been around forever on Android. And there have been articles since it came out about it being defeated with a photo.

If this was about defeating the Iris scanner, yes, that would be a bigger thing as that is being advertised as a secure log in.
    Facial recognition never was.
  • Reply 85 of 117
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

I think I have got AirDrop to work just once. Last night I had to transfer a note from an iPad Air 2 and miraculously, my iPad Mini 2 showed up in AirDrop! I nearly fainted. I chose the Mini and the Air 2 said 'waiting'. I was optmistic. Sadly, it sat there 'waiting' until I cancelled the operation. 15 minutes of my life stolen. However, encouraged by just seeing the Mini 2, I retried. This time I got the notification on the Mini 2. Wow! I thought nothing could go wrong from here but then a message popped up: 'to complete this operation, you must download an App from the App Store'.

That would require an AppleID password which I didn't have to hand, so I gave up.

You may be wondering what I was trying to transfer. It was a link, simply copy/pasted into a note. Absolutely nothing else.

That, my friend, is the definition of half baked and if you look this issue up on Google you will see I am not alone and the only real potential solution is complete overkill: a restore.

Of course, exactly why I have to use the half baked AirDrop in the first place (which requires Bluetooth to be on, iCloud and users logged into AppleID etc) is a complete mystery. You can send a file by Bluetooth from a Mac to any other Bluetooth device with the right BT profile in seconds. Same with Android phones. Why can't iDevices do the same and why isn't AirDrop freaking bulletproof years after launch?

Ouch...you obviously like to make things difficult for yourself.

That my friend is the definition of half-baked!

Never heard of Universal Clipboard?

<chuckle>

No. Using universal clipboard definitely would make things difficult for myself as my Mini doesn't support it.

Your Mini 2 supports Universal Clipboard.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681#clipboard
    No. The Mini 2 supports it if it is running continuity requirements. My Mini 2 doesn't support it. 
    Well, that's certainly splitting hairs. 

This is is like saying your Ford F-150 doesn't support pulling a trailer because you've chosen not to add a (free) hitch. 
    I wish it were splitting hairs bit it isn't. The Mini syncs to a Mac that can't run the minimum requirements that iOS 10 needs. In a word, the right version of iTunes. I don't particularly want to upgrade to something when things are fine just how they are. I also detest the latest iTunes re-design and the havoc it tends to wreak on updating older libraries. I've been bitten far too many times by Apple's self created problems that never ever get fixed or require you to upgrade to fix.

You are probably unaware of them as they would (understandably, for you) be insignificant, but let me give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I spent a huge amount of time tagging photos with IPTC information. The idea was to make them immune to any other tagging system or lock in. I could then use a system level feature like smartsearches to retrieve certain sets of photos. A simple solution. The only pain involved was the actual tagging.

It worked very well - until Apple updated the system and someone somewhere screwed up part of the localisation process and 'localised' internal elements that were previously in English. That single change broke forever all my smartsearches. Anyway, that's my reading of what happened as nobody, nowhere ever found an 'official' cause to explain why my searches stopped working. Why? My problem wasn't worth the effort to investigate and fix as very, very few people would have been affected by this change.

Please don't get me started on the utter crud that iTunes is. Pure voodoo.

Just two of the reasons I take upgrades very seriously.

Thats probably the reason you had problems with airdrop.

No. That issue was way before AirDrop was released. AirDrop is simply half baked. If you search for problems with AirDrop on the net you will see that it has always been a headache for some people.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 86 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:
    Samsung was in a dire situation, they lost billions on the S7, they needed a new flagship phone on the market ASAP. They had to make darn sure they got the battery design under control (TBD), now they need innovative new features to sell this new model. Those features are: 1) a screen with rounded edges & home button moved to back, 2) facial unlock, and 3) Bixby assistant.  Arguably a fail on all three. So is the strategy of rushing products to market with half-baked solutions smart? I'd say no.  Apple often learns from the costly mistakes of its competitors. Apple gets destroyed for taking their time to 'do it right the first time' (two big exceptions however are Siri and the original Maps release) It will interesting to see how they implement wireless charging, OLED screens, advanced biometrics and AR in their next few models. 
    The S8 wasn't rushed to market. It was delayed slightly so it wasn't a case of ASAP. The home button isn't on the back. Facial recognition is a feature but not particularly new. The iris scanner, though is relatively new for Samsung (it was on the recalled phone). Rounded edges yes, but it is an extension of the Edge line. I haven't seen anything 'half baked' on this phone. Facial recognition comes with adequate warnings and AFAIK can't even be used for payments.

I would not say Apple got it wrong with Siri. In its day it was adequate. The problem is that it's fallen behind competitors. Maps was a disaster but you forget Mobile Me, iOS not even following Apple's own design guidelines, boatloads of updates pulled due to poor testing and heaps of other features that were half baked right out of the box. Yep, totally half baked.

I think I have got AirDrop to work just once. Last night I had to transfer a note from an iPad Air 2 and miraculously, my iPad Mini 2 showed up in AirDrop! I nearly fainted. I chose the Mini and the Air 2 said 'waiting'. I was optmistic. Sadly, it sat there 'waiting' until I cancelled the operation. 15 minutes of my life stolen. However, encouraged by just seeing the Mini 2, I retried. This time I got the notification on the Mini 2. Wow! I thought nothing could go wrong from here but then a message popped up: 'to complete this operation, you must download an App from the App Store'.

That would require an AppleID password which I didn't have to hand, so I gave up.

You may be wondering what I was trying to transfer. It was a link, simply copy/pasted into a note. Absolutely nothing else.

That, my friend, is the definition of half baked and if you look this issue up on Google you will see I am not alone and the only real potential solution is complete overkill: a restore.

Of course, exactly why I have to use the half baked AirDrop in the first place (which requires Bluetooth to be on, iCloud and users logged into AppleID etc) is a complete mystery. You can send a file by Bluetooth from a Mac to any other Bluetooth device with the right BT profile in seconds. Same with Android phones. Why can't iDevices do the same and why isn't AirDrop freaking bulletproof years after launch?

Thats not how you share a link in iOS.

Also What note app were you using?
    The Air 2 isn't mine so my options were limited. I didn't have all passwords available to me etc and didn't want to install anything new. That's why I just wanted a simple and direct solution. I could have gone down a different route, I know, but when I saw my Mini 2 pop up in AirDrop I thought I could get it over in a jiffy. It should have worked.

The note application is the iOS 10 app that the Air 2 is running.

The point isn't really how to share links or find workarounds for file transfer but that AirDrop has had problems since it was released and still has them.
    We routinely airdrop links to each other -- Notes is absolutely not required, you just AD the page from Safari's share sheet and it pops up on the target machine. 
    I didn't try that. However, it wouldn't have worked because the link had to be generated from within the page and I didn't have the login information to access the page from the Mini. They were autofilled from Safari on the Air 2.
  • Reply 87 of 117
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

<chuckle>

No. Using universal clipboard definitely would make things difficult for myself as my Mini doesn't support it.

No. The Mini 2 supports it if it is running continuity requirements. My Mini 2 doesn't support it. 

This is is like saying your Ford F-150 doesn't support pulling a trailer because you've chosen not to add a (free) hitch. 
    I wish it were splitting hairs bit it isn't. The Mini syncs to a Mac that can't run the minimum requirements that iOS 10 needs. In a word, the right version of iTunes. I don't particularly want to upgrade to something when things are fine just how they are. I also detest the latest iTunes re-design and the havoc it tends to wreak on updating older libraries. I've been bitten far too many times by Apple's self created problems that never ever get fixed or require you to upgrade to fix.

You are probably unaware of them as they would (understandably, for you) be insignificant, but let me give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I spent a huge amount of time tagging photos with IPTC information. The idea was to make them immune to any other tagging system or lock in. I could then use a system level feature like smartsearches to retrieve certain sets of photos. A simple solution. The only pain involved was the actual tagging.

It worked very well - until Apple updated the system and someone somewhere screwed up part of the localisation process and 'localised' internal elements that were previously in English. That single change broke forever all my smartsearches. Anyway, that's my reading of what happened as nobody, nowhere ever found an 'official' cause to explain why my searches stopped working. Why? My problem wasn't worth the effort to investigate and fix as very, very few people would have been affected by this change.

No. That issue was way before AirDrop was released. AirDrop is simply half baked. If you search for problems with AirDrop on the net you will see that it has always been a headache for some people.
    That's proof of NOTHING, there are a billion IOS users, finding problems about anything, I mean anything in IOS is pretty easy as you can find people to whine about anything on this planet if its not tailored to their personal whims and some people will not admit that they may be the issue and not the device or service.

I've been in charge a very large engineering and IT dept and I can't believe the crap some internal users complained about, let alone external users....

Yeah, there are some real issues, but you often have to sift through mountains of nothings to get to them; doesn't mean the user isn't frustrated though, just that the device itself or service is still working as designed, just not how they think it should work!

Better docs on our part, or sometimes even just READING the docs on the users part solves most "problems". Many times, just going through the steps they were supposedly doing (and failed) magically solves the issue somehow... Means they weren't actually doing it correctly.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 117
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not great, but what are the chances that someone who stole your phone has a picture of you?
  • Reply 89 of 117
    TuuborTuubor Posts: 53member
    Does anyone else think the S8 is a bit ugly? It's too tall and looks kinda funny. Also I think Sammy is behind in many features such as dual cameras, dual speakers, no force touch on the entire screen. They make a plus model but even that doesn't include these technologies. They are trying to do their own thing but I don't think the design is at all good. The aspect ratio is funny. And what is with the fingerprint scanner? Awkward positioning. Bad design. It is like they are grasping for straws, trying to add some meaningless features to sell more phones. I mean Apple is behind in OLED and wireless, but they have really stepped up their game in everything else. If the iPhone 8 has both the OLED screen and wireless charging, Apple will be miles ahead of Samsung technologically. Not to mention the whole ecosystem, software and the unified experience across their devices. Apple has been slowly implementing all of these technologies and they took their time to do it right. And Apple has the best mobile prosessors in the world. I mean what is soon left in the android world that the iPhone doesn't have? Each year iOS continues to do more and more. I just think Sammy is really falling behind. Even Huawei is making better choices. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 117
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    crowley said:
    Not great, but what are the chances that someone who stole your phone has a picture of you?
    The threat isn't from muggers on the street, it's from a targeted compromise. very easy to go after someone's device. Here's a common domestic scenario -- unlocking the device of a parent, sibling, or SO. 
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 117

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:
    Samsung was in a dire situation, they lost billions on the S7, they needed a new flagship phone on the market ASAP. They had to make darn sure they got the battery design under control (TBD), now they need innovative new features to sell this new model. Those features are: 1) a screen with rounded edges & home button moved to back, 2) facial unlock, and 3) Bixby assistant.  Arguably a fail on all three. So is the strategy of rushing products to market with half-baked solutions smart? I'd say no.  Apple often learns from the costly mistakes of its competitors. Apple gets destroyed for taking their time to 'do it right the first time' (two big exceptions however are Siri and the original Maps release) It will interesting to see how they implement wireless charging, OLED screens, advanced biometrics and AR in their next few models. 
    The S8 wasn't rushed to market. It was delayed slightly so it wasn't a case of ASAP. The home button isn't on the back. Facial recognition is a feature but not particularly new. The iris scanner, though is relatively new for Samsung (it was on the recalled phone). Rounded edges yes, but it is an extension of the Edge line. I haven't seen anything 'half baked' on this phone. Facial recognition comes with adequate warnings and AFAIK can't even be used for payments.

I would not say Apple got it wrong with Siri. In its day it was adequate. The problem is that it's fallen behind competitors. Maps was a disaster but you forget Mobile Me, iOS not even following Apple's own design guidelines, boatloads of updates pulled due to poor testing and heaps of other features that were half baked right out of the box. Yep, totally half baked.

Thats not how you share a link in iOS.

Also What note app were you using?
    The Air 2 isn't mine so my options were limited. I didn't have all passwords available to me etc and didn't want to install anything new. That's why I just wanted a simple and direct solution. I could have gone down a different route, I know, but when I saw my Mini 2 pop up in AirDrop I thought I could get it over in a jiffy. It should have worked.

The note application is the iOS 10 app that the Air 2 is running.

The point isn't really how to share links or find workarounds for file transfer but that AirDrop has had problems since it was released and still has them.
    We routinely airdrop links to each other -- Notes is absolutely not required, you just AD the page from Safari's share sheet and it pops up on the target machine. 
    I didn't try that. However, it wouldn't have worked because the link had to be generated from within the page and I didn't have the login information to access the page from the Mini. They were autofilled from Safari on the Air 2.
    Which has nothing to do with AD. You're talking about authentication into the website being shared, I'm talking about the fact that you don't need to paste a URL into a new Note to share it, as you've described.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 117
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

The thing is, this was replacing the fingerprint sensor.
    Where did you hear that? This feature is not biometric secure. When you turn it on, it reminds you of the fact and suggests other methods available on the phone. This is a non story. It's convenient for some but useless for others. It's just an option. Just like not setting a PIN code on your SIM. 
    Oh yes, circumventing the phone's lock authentication with a spoofed photo -- total non-story....for an android POS, that is. 

The fact that theyre aware aware of the vulnerability of their crappy implementation and offer a warning doesn't negate it. If it sucks, then don't ship with it. Use motion or thermal or 3D to make it work properly. Anything else is just serving a shit sandwich in order to be first to market. I guarantee you Apple's implementation, if they offer one, won't be defeated by a static photo. 

The way you apologists come come out to defend the knockoffs is mind-numbing. 
    No. Not at all.

If you decide to use a poor pass code, you are in a similar situation but that is your decision, whatever phone you use. As is, not using for example, a PIN SIM code.

Facial recognition is not secure. The phone makes you aware of this and provides alternatives (that are equal to and go beyond what the iPhone offers). It is your decision to choose whichever system you prefer. If you prefer to use the facial recognition system for convenience, you can. Just as you can use a weak passcode.
    A broken facial recognition system that can be bypassed with a simple photo is in no way comparable to a weak password. Even a weak password takes time to crack, but a child can unlock this POS in seconds flat with no special knowledge -- just a portrait will do. 

No, you're completely wrong. Just making excuses for a poorly executed knockoff, which is your MO here. 
    doozydozenanton zuykovpscooter63sennenwatto_cobrastarwars
  • Reply 93 of 117
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    avon b7 said:
    jungmark said:
    "new facial recognition feature only controls device unlocking"

oh good, I was worried unauthorized users could access my contacts, apps, etc. wtf. Those are pretty important to me!
    Which is why perhaps a guest mode is needed.

The other day a girl came up to me in the street, crying and claiming someone had just stolen her iPhone 7. She was asking people if she could use their phone to make a call. She seemed genuine and I let her use mine. There are many reasons why you might want someone to have limited access to your phone.
    You can make calls without unlocking phone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 117
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    glynh said:
    avon b7 said:

<chuckle>

That's proof of NOTHING, there are a billion IOS users, finding problems about anything, I mean anything in IOS is pretty easy as you can find people to whine about anything on this planet if its not tailored to their personal whims and some people will not admit that they may be the issue and not the device or service.

I've been in charge a very large engineering and IT dept and I can't believe the crap some internal users complained about, let alone external users....

Yeah, there are some real issues, but you often have to sift through mountains of nothings to get to them; doesn't mean the user isn't frustrated though, just that the device itself or service is still working as designed, just not how they think it should work!

Better docs on our part, or sometimes even just READING the docs on the users part solves most "problems". Many times, just going through the steps they were supposedly doing (and failed) magically solves the issue somehow... Means they weren't actually doing it correctly.
    What am I supposed to prove?

I'm telling you I have literally got AirDrop to work just once since release. Not between just two devices but between a multitude of devices across the entire spread of Apple hardware. Other people have experienced exactly the same problems as me. I know, because while I investigated my problems I saw I wasn't alone. 

Can you imagine if Finder had the same problems copying files ( oh wait, Finder balks on SMB!). Yes, I know it isn't strictly speaking Apple's fault but third party applications managed to work things out anyway. AirDrop is 100% Apple. It should be mature enough to be bulletproof by now. It isn't. Hey, neither is Air Play!

It isn't a reliable piece of Apple technology and what's with the 'you need to download an App from the App Store to complete the operation'? It would have been far more helpful if it actually gave me the name of the software it thought I needed.

But forget that. The biggest question is this, to send one fIle to another device 'directly' why must I have an internet connection, two iCloud accounts (activated, logged in) etc?

Why can I send it by Bluetooth to the device in front of me and forget all the other stuff? Why can I do that from a Mac but not from an iDevice?
  • Reply 95 of 117
    Is this phone going to sell? If it is, is what numbers?
    The reason I'm asking is that Carphone Warehouse in the UK is already offering a deal of 6000 Nectar Points (Loyalty Card) for a deal made via the Nectar portal. If it was going to fly off the shelves surely this sort of deal would not be available for quite a while?

Perhaps Samsung are more interested in selling the Galaxy-A here?

Will we see the offers that were available with the S7 in may/june last year once again?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 117
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Tuubor said:
    Does anyone else think the S8 is a bit ugly? It's too tall and looks kinda funny. Also I think Sammy is behind in many features such as dual cameras, dual speakers, no force touch on the entire screen. They make a plus model but even that doesn't include these technologies. They are trying to do their own thing but I don't think the design is at all good. The aspect ratio is funny. And what is with the fingerprint scanner? Awkward positioning. Bad design. It is like they are grasping for straws, trying to add some meaningless features to sell more phones. I mean Apple is behind in OLED and wireless, but they have really stepped up their game in everything else. If the iPhone 8 has both the OLED screen and wireless charging, Apple will be miles ahead of Samsung technologically. Not to mention the whole ecosystem, software and the unified experience across their devices. Apple has been slowly implementing all of these technologies and they took their time to do it right. And Apple has the best mobile prosessors in the world. I mean what is soon left in the android world that the iPhone doesn't have? Each year iOS continues to do more and more. I just think Sammy is really falling behind. Even Huawei is making better choices. 
    They're not really, samsung's color management is not as good as Apple's. Apple's LCD has more nits and less reflectivity which means in fact, in many circumstances, it has am actual better contrast and higher dynamic range than the S7. What's the point of an OLED having a high contrast and perfect black point if your screen is darker and reflects more light reducing contrast (that was the case for the S7, haven't verified the S8).

OLED's have certain power and contrast advantages, but as usual, Samsung is doing half assed and not fully exploiting the tech.

The main reason Apple doesn't have a OLED screen is that they need so many, not that they could not have put one in before and until the S6, OLED tech wasn't mature enough to compete with the LCD on all fronts.

OLED's still suffer burn in, so from my point of view, I'm not so sure I actually want one. I keep my phones a LONG LONG TIME.

I've got the feeling trutone and the very high quality LED that's in the Ipad Pro will come to the Iphone, the OLED phone will also be using trutone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 117
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    foggyhill said:
    They're not really, samsung's color management is not as good as Apple's. Apple's LCD has more nits and less reflectivity which means in fact, in many circumstances, it has am actual better contrast and higher dynamic range than the S7. What's the point of an OLED having a high contrast and perfect black point if your screen is darker and reflects more light reducing contrast (that was the case for the S7, haven't verified the S8).
    Stop using facts and physics do dispel the magic of OLEDs  =)
    But, yes, you are absolutely correct - if you have an infinite contrast ratio assuming blacks are at 0cd/m^2 always, by putting in front of such a screen a glass surface that reflects back about 4.6% of light, you just ruin the whole so called infinite contrast.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 117
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    The threat isn't from muggers on the street, it's from a targeted compromise. very easy to go after someone's device. Here's a common domestic scenario -- unlocking the device of a parent, sibling, or SO. 
    That might be true (and very serious in some instances), but it's not really what the majority of people are concerned about with phone security.  Muggers on the street and identity theft are what I'm concerned about (my patent, sibling or SO are more likely to play a practical joke than look for or find any nefarious materials), and those people are very unlikely to have a readily available quality photograph of me.

Not trying to downplay it, it's a major fu from Samsung, but I doubt the majority of people are going to be that bothered.
  • Reply 99 of 117
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Is this phone going to sell? If it is, is what numbers?
    The reason I'm asking is that Carphone Warehouse in the UK is already offering a deal of 6000 Nectar Points (Loyalty Card) for a deal made via the Nectar portal. If it was going to fly off the shelves surely this sort of deal would not be available for quite a while?

Perhaps Samsung are more interested in selling the Galaxy-A here?

Will we see the offers that were available with the S7 in may/june last year once again?
    Very few people are buying Galaxy S series phones.  Samsung asks the same price or even more than iPhones.  But we all know Apple makes all the profits of smartphones.  Therefore Samsung cannot be selling these Galaxy S phones a lot.  Only stupid Android fans may be buying them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 100 of 117
    mobird said:
    First to market, first to fail.
    They are complete losers. Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus. Hmm Plus sounds familiar. And while we are at it let's stick a hokey facial recognition feature in the phone that's not fully baked yet. Fail once again. 
    watto_cobra