Samsung could have its own Apple Park with $5 billion, but has the ashes of Galaxy Note 7 ...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    djsherly said:
    MacPro said:
    djsherly said:
    I have trouble understanding why this article exists. As an editorial I would assume it's meant to comment on something topical but this just seems to be a rant about pundits complaining about Apple capex with some non-existent nexus with Samsung profits/exploding phones.

To be honest, the Samsung comparison could have been left out and the article would have stood well on its own, as well as chopping a few hundred words away.

It's no news flash, but Dilger confirms his zealotry here with a needless comparison with a competitor which adds nothing to the story. But that's no surprise, right?

:)

Of Course, it *is* April Fool's day as I wake.
    Oh lighten up.  You don't have to be a zealot to be pissed off that Google ripped off iOS and used Samsung to proliferate junk at a low price to try to steal business from Apple.   Therefor enjoying gloating at Samsung's problems is totally justified for an Apple user / investor.   Happily Google and Samsung failed and Apple has way over 90% of the profits so let them have at it.  Just a shame about the landfills.
    Again, why can't he just stick the subject? Apple can spend their money however they like as long as it doesn't piss off stock holders. What the hell does Android being a rip off/shit/landfill have to do with it?

I'm an apple user and I couldn't give a shit about what is happening in the android or windows world. iOS and macOS do what I need and wasting energy on the hate is wasted energy.
    I know where you are coming from but I can't help but feel like maybe you missed the point. In short, Apple spends $5 billion on a new headquarters and the tech press freak out, Apple is doomed, etc. Samsung loses $5 billion in exploding phone costs and the tech press says, "no big deal, everything is fine". 

So why is it a big deal that Apple, who is sitting on literally hundreds of billions of dollars, spends a small portion of it? Meanwhile, Samsung loses a similar amount in a division that competes with Apple but doesn't get nearly the revenue from but they get a pass. 

It's just backwards. 
    How good the new Apple Park headquarters will be is unknown. Hopefully it will help Apple develop more products faster and better.   Otherwise it could become a glass Pentagon with far too many generals leading the Apple Army but only serving their bureaucracy.

But I do say it's great to see some new architecture in this country.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 62 of 72
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    melgross said:

MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    Yep, Daniel, as soon as I read the headline, I knew it was you.
    You seem to have become a bit of a curmudgeon lately. ;)
    Is his comment to be read negatively? I had the exact same thought, but that's because Daniel is very clever with his writing which results in even his headlines having wit. Whether you agree with his editorials or not is another issue altogether.
    It wasn't just this post.  Melgross has always been a poster I liked reading, he just seems to have become a wee bit negative of late.  So I was trying to prod him ;)

I love reading DED, I've yet to disagree with a word he's written to be honest and as a deeply involved  Apple 'person' since 1978 (user, dealer and software company) I claim some right to judge.  I would add I miss PED, his columns were excellent too but I just can't find any these days.
    MacPro said:
    djsherly said:
    I have trouble understanding why this article exists. As an editorial I would assume it's meant to comment on something topical but this just seems to be a rant about pundits complaining about Apple capex with some non-existent nexus with Samsung profits/exploding phones.

To be honest, the Samsung comparison could have been left out and the article would have stood well on its own, as well as chopping a few hundred words away.

It's no news flash, but Dilger confirms his zealotry here with a needless comparison with a competitor which adds nothing to the story. But that's no surprise, right?

Oh lighten up.  You don't have to be a zealot to be pissed off that Google ripped off iOS and used Samsung to proliferate junk at a low price to try to steal business from Apple.   Therefor enjoying gloating at Samsung's problems is totally justified for an Apple user / investor.   Happily Google and Samsung failed and Apple has way over 90% of the profits so let them have at it.  Just a shame about the landfills.
    Look, I'm pissed off at these things too. I'm pissed off at a lot of things regarding Apple. I'm also a longtime Apple user, and have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of their stuff for my family, and my own company over the years. I was at least partly responsible the the NYC Board of Ed not dropping Apple altogether in the mid 1990s, when Apple own rep didn't say a thing. I'm also a fair investor in the company.

but I find it unseemly. Sure, maybe that's old fashioned, but this type of writing should be kept in the opinion section of the political publications.

he can write about troubles, but in doing so should show a bit more restraint. Opinions of his style seems to be split down the middle. I really don't think it gets AI more readers, and it lowers the reputation of the site. I spend a lot of time defending Apple elsewhere, but I like to feel as though, here, among what I often think of as family, I can temper the far out opinions.

i've been criticized, at different times, as being an Apple fanboy, and an Apple hater, and that's right here. So I'm just about in the middle.
    I tend to agree with you.

I used to find DED's articles highly informative.

But now they have become the Apple equivalent of a Donald Trump Twitter tirade.   If positive news about Google Now or Alexa comes out, we are sure to have a really long article about why Siri not long after wards.    It will go into the history is Siri,  why Alexa isn't as good as the public thinks, Amazon's past and current sins, and why the biased Tech Press is spreading FakeNews stories.   Finally it will end with how we just need to wait a little bit longer for the great revision to Siri to be released.

I'm sure there will be an updated one soon about why Bixby sucks and is a total ripoff of Siri.
    singularityirelandgatorguycornchip
  • Reply 63 of 72
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    This is the Samsung HQ (They aint exactly suffering):

• Reply 64 of 72
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tyler82 said:
    This is the Samsung HQ (They aint exactly suffering):

Were you expecting the building to suddenly disappear? Trouble or not, they still need a place to put their staff.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The problem I have with this article is that I'm not convinced it's really a valid comparison. I mean why is the press expected to have the same reaction to Apple spending $5billion on the Park, and Samsung spending $5billion to dig themselves out of a ginormous screw-up?

I happen to think that Apple's new campus is well worth the money they spent on it, but I also think that Samsung will recover from this mess. Of course, I'm not going to buy anything they make ever again, but a lot of the stuff I will buy is likely to contain Samsung components (like my phone for instance), which is part of the reason that this won't have anything much more than a medium-term impact on the company as a whole.

Yes, DED is right: the IT press is stupid, but most consumers are too, and they're also cheap. Do most of Samsung's sales come from their high end phones anyway?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Edit: NM
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Just mark DEDs pieces as "DEDitorials" in the front page and the forum. If the obvious headline does not deter people who don't want to read his pieces, the banner should!
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    melgross said:

MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    melgross said:
    You seem to have become a bit of a curmudgeon lately. ;)
    Is his comment to be read negatively? I had the exact same thought, but that's because Daniel is very clever with his writing which results in even his headlines having wit. Whether you agree with his editorials or not is another issue altogether.
    It wasn't just this post.  Melgross has always been a poster I liked reading, he just seems to have become a wee bit negative of late.  So I was trying to prod him ;)

I love reading DED, I've yet to disagree with a word he's written to be honest and as a deeply involved  Apple 'person' since 1978 (user, dealer and software company) I claim some right to judge.  I would add I miss PED, his columns were excellent too but I just can't find any these days.
    MacPro said:
    djsherly said:

Look, I'm pissed off at these things too. I'm pissed off at a lot of things regarding Apple. I'm also a longtime Apple user, and have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of their stuff for my family, and my own company over the years. I was at least partly responsible the the NYC Board of Ed not dropping Apple altogether in the mid 1990s, when Apple own rep didn't say a thing. I'm also a fair investor in the company.

but I find it unseemly. Sure, maybe that's old fashioned, but this type of writing should be kept in the opinion section of the political publications.

he can write about troubles, but in doing so should show a bit more restraint. Opinions of his style seems to be split down the middle. I really don't think it gets AI more readers, and it lowers the reputation of the site. I spend a lot of time defending Apple elsewhere, but I like to feel as though, here, among what I often think of as family, I can temper the far out opinions.

i've been criticized, at different times, as being an Apple fanboy, and an Apple hater, and that's right here. So I'm just about in the middle.
    Well I applaud your thoughts and values in this thread.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:
    You have a problem with Daniel calling a spade a spade? He writes what we Apple fans think. We don’t say much because of the ‘fanboi’ label. This blog, for example, is divided into two basic groups, one of which is dedicated to counterarguments against any positive news or opinion about Apple.
    I have a problem with him appealing to fanboys in articles. Sure, we can be fanboys, but writers shouldn't be.
    I see nothing fanboyish in this article. The tech media is delusional at best, fraudulent at worst, and DED's articles laden with fact after fact after fact help to add a dose of reality to the equation.
    haarcornchip
  • Reply 70 of 72
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Lets not get all high and mighty Apple.  There will be a day when they blow (waste) a ton of money on some failed product and the shoe will be on the other foot.  I too agree that 5 billion is too much money to spend on a building .  Plus the ongoing cost to maintain this building will be enormous.  

First you realize that the building provides its own power for the most part, so ongoing cost to operate is most likely less. Next whether Apple is in that building or is in lots of other smaller builds the maintain cost are about the same. I would actually argue a larger building or campus if actually more cost effective from an ongoing maintenance stand point. At this point Apple will have far less buildings to take care of and their overall foot print is now less. What is going to be an issue is the fact Apple is going to leave a lot of empty building in the Valley which have to dealt with.
    cornchip
  • Reply 71 of 72
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    maestro64 said:
    Lets not get all high and mighty Apple.  There will be a day when they blow (waste) a ton of money on some failed product and the shoe will be on the other foot.  I too agree that 5 billion is too much money to spend on a building .  Plus the ongoing cost to maintain this building will be enormous.  

First you realize that the building provides its own power for the most part, so ongoing cost to operate is most likely less. Next whether Apple is in that building or is in lots of other smaller builds the maintain cost are about the same. I would actually argue a larger building or campus if actually more cost effective from an ongoing maintenance stand point. At this point Apple will have far less buildings to take care of and their overall foot print is now less. What is going to be an issue is the fact Apple is going to leave a lot of empty building in the Valley which have to dealt with.
    If history repeats, Apple won't free up any space in the valley...

cornchip
  • Reply 72 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jeffdm said:
    Because other AI decisions have turned it from a fan site that it was a decade ago to letting the forum become playground for Google partisans shitting on everything that Apple does
    Not to defend any specific site owner/admin actions, but I used to be totally too overzealous in places (meaning when I had the power to not let the above happen)… :pensive: 
    whether or not it’s on topic, "because it makes the forum more lively.”
    …but in the case of discussion on things which are objectively true or false, I agree with you completely that there should be no quarter for lies or even feelings which contradict truth.
    k2kw said:
    We probably will never know the costs of the failed experiments.   We don't know how much they spent on Project titan,  there doesn't appear to be much that has come out of that.
    Did it even exist? Do we know that? Who’s to say Apple doesn’t give out disinformation to root out leakers? The government sure as hell does.
    edited April 2017