Does Apple spend too much on packaging?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With so many threads about Apple's prices being too high, I'm wondering what effect it's packaging costs play.

Every piece of hardware shipped, is thoroughly thought out covering the smallest detail. It's slick and so well designed. Is this overkill?

Can Apple cut back on these niceities and cut it's costs? Could these savings be passed on to the consumer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Err, the only thing really done like that is the iPod box... and really, I'm sure when they're making as many as they do, it's not that expensive.

Laptops and towers are just 2 pieces of styrofoam and a box. iMac boxes are a little more complex, but they have to be with the design.

I'm not sure where they could really cut *that* much off of their packaging.

My magic 8 ball says no.

• Reply 2 of 19
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

My magic 8 ball says no.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I read my kleenex after a sneeze as my old grand-uncle Nostrildamus once did and it said no, too... (and a few other things, but we won't get into that)

Besides, would you really want them to send your precious Apple hardware to you in a brown paper bag, or do you want everyone on your block to know the wisdom of your Purchasing Prowess...?

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: nosey ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 19
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>Err, the only thing really done like that is the iPod box... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah that felt grey pouch (which I didn't receive) must of cost quite a bit!

I know it's touches like the felt square that was included in the FP iMac that made me feel like Apple cared. But could they perhaps print only one colour ink on a brown recycled box? Yeah i know, it won't look as cool.

It's kind of a catch-22 where if you look cheap, you might not be able to market and sell as many. But your costs may inevitably go higher with a glossy package.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Come on people. How much extra is it really to put some pictures on the boxes and include some felt rags? I think its a good idea to include some fancy packaging and some goodies. Think of it people, you pay for quality, you get quality.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>Yeah that felt grey pouch (which I didn't receive) must of cost quite a bit! .</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just meant that with the outer ring you lift off the box, and with it opening from the middle, etc, it's the most intricate packaging they have. It's really beautiful actually.

And anyway, you're making fun of me? You started the thread, fool! I was just making that example so that I didn't disagree with everything you said and make you feel bad.

It's part of the package. There is just something about opening a brand new Macintosh. It's an event to be treasured. (I should know, I've done it almost 20 times in 3 years )

Their packaging is perfect, I wouldn't change anything.

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Given the sheer number of raves I've seen about Apple's out of the box experience, they'd have to be crazy to sacrifice it. People really do appreciate the thoughtfulness of good packaging.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I used to find it funny to see pictures on peoples home pages of the whole unwrapping process, starting with the box (from every angle) , the box with the lid open etc, but I guess it's all part of the experience of buying a new Mac. I seem to remember someone here has a small Mac box collection.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's all part of the "out of box" experience. SGI used to have a nice little "first run" experience on new computers.

From a waste POV it seems Apple is a bit over done. I doubt it increase cost that much.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Am I the only one who remembers when the Public Beta of Mac OS X was shipped? The box was about four cubic feet in volume. What was its contents? A bunch of those plastic air pouches and a single 8"x11" envelope with the CD.

A skinny 8"x11" envelope.

In a 2' by 2' box.

Wasteful? Definitely.

Of course, this was just a single incident. The other packages I've seen lately are far better done.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    it's not the packaging yer paying for. it's the R & D that goes into the Mac. we're paying for a nicer machine and monitor imo

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Am I the only one who remembers when the Public Beta of Mac OS X was shipped? The box was about four cubic feet in volume. What was its contents? A bunch of those plastic air pouches and a single 8"x11" envelope with the CD.

A skinny 8"x11" envelope.

In a 2' by 2' box.

Wasteful? Definitely.

Of course, this was just a single incident. The other packages I've seen lately are far better done.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I totally forgot about that. That definately was a waste.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yeah but those cubic feet of volume are air, not packing material. They use those air-filled sacks to act as cushion instead of packing peanuts, so the amont of surface cardboard they use is probably minimally more than a box that's much smaller in terms of volume. I worked a couple of summers at a packing place in the last recession, and boxes that hold far more volume are only slightly more expensive, used mainly for their cardboard thickness and therefore their impact resistance.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>

And anyway, you're making fun of me? You started the thread, fool! I was just making that example so that I didn't disagree with everything you said and make you feel bad.

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh I wasn't making fun of you...just my sarcasm at work

Besides, my post was not intended to bash Apple's packaging, which I find incredibly well designed. I was just hoping/speculating to see if there were any other cost cutting methods to bring Apple's prices still a bit lower.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Along side from the packaging.. I love the design of the box. It is not a brown, no-fills box like other do. I still have the Performa 6116CD and StyleWriter 1200 boxes... they just look great no matter when or where.

The iPod w/remote packaging is somewhat depressing, i couldn't make the cable fit into the original form inside the tiny box.

I can see some people put the boxes on eBay as well.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

Oh I wasn't making fun of you...just my sarcasm at work

Besides, my post was not intended to bash Apple's packaging, which I find incredibly well designed. I was just hoping/speculating to see if there were any other cost cutting methods to bring Apple's prices still a bit lower.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I couldn't see the minimal amount from removing their products brand identity from the box going to you. It would amount to what, Two or three bucks per box? Maybe...

Up here, where most Mac's are sold in volume stores selling pc's as well, the white box with photos on it contrasts against the PC's in their dark boxes with heavily retouched photos.

And the packaging? Well, they are shipped from the factories overseas, aren't they? I would rather they were well protected...

Granted, some of their packaging in the past was overdone (My performa 6320 wouldn't fit in the car because it came with the monitor & CPU... Jeeg it was huge) but I haven't seen anything really gratuitous in the past while (And my public beta came in just the envelope)

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: nosey ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I sure the packaging cost no more than a few dollars
  • Reply 17 of 19
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    It just doesn't look right if all these beautiful mac hardware are shabbily packed.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    In graphic design, it's said that bad design is more expensive than good design. To save a few bucks in materials, or printing, or design you lose in future customers. Something like a computer, a multi-thousand dollar investment, deserves a grand unwrapping ritual. But that said, if you compare Apple's packaging to Dell's or Gateways, or HP, etc., they're not doing anything too exotic, it's just better designed. And, really, good design doesn't cost anymore than bad design.

I'd hardly call what they're doing extravegant, though the ipod is possibly an exception. But, given the relative extravegance of the purchase (up to $500 for a music player?), it'd say it's well suited. I particularly like the powerbook boxes, they're very sturdy and the handle makes them very reusable and encouraged the owner to keep it around instead of tossing it.

I was sorely dissapointed last year when I visited the Apple Store at the Walden Galleria Mall and saw that some accessories, like Airport cards, keyboards and mice, etc, are packaged in very plain cardboard boxes. I was very happy when I visited this year to see that they had done some very nice packaging for the iPod remote and headphone accessory, though the other stuff was still plain cardboard. The older packages are indicitave of Apple's previous lack of retail focus, and I expect the next wave will be more shelf savvy given the new retail push.

When you go to the grocery store, between a quarter and a half of what you spend is for the packaging of the products (unless you mostly buy store-brands, but even they've been spending more on design lately). It would be cool if they did some more exotic stuff, different materials

Apple's always been pretty pioneering in the packing materials department. My first Powerbook was a Wallstreet, and as some might recall, this is when they first started using those inflatable airbags for packing. And being the first, many failed somewhere between the factory and the customer's front door. Mine arrived loose in the box, the airbag having deflated somewhere along the way. As it happens, my 'book was just fine, but I was still pretty freaked out. My second powerbook (my current pismo) arrived nestled in good old fashioned styro.

Seeing as how I haven't actually bought a new mac in about three years, tell me, do they still come with stickers?

ciao,

t.p.f.k.a.s

(the poster formerly known as scadboy)
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Yes, I got my iMac with 2 white Apple logo stickers.