Apple pushes out iOS 10.3.1 update, fixing iPhone 5 & 5c OTA update issue [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2017
Apple on Monday made the surprise release of iOS 10.3.1, available for iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches as an over-the-air update or when connected to iTunes via a Mac or Windows PC. [Updated with release notes]

In an unusual twist for Apple, no release notes are available. The update is also small, potentially under 30 megabytes as an OTA download.

The release appears related to problems with iOS 10.3, launched a week ago. Shortly thereafter Apple killed the OTA update for the iPhone 5 and 5c, suggesting a hardware-specific problem. AppleInsider can confirm that those downloads have been restored.

The 5 and 5c were Apple's last iPhone models with a 32-bit processor, the A6. Since the iPhone 5s all iOS devices have turned to 64-bit technology. Apple is in the process of phasing out 32-bit support, and indeed the iOS 10.3.2 beta appears to omit it entirely.

One of the core changes in iOS 10.3 was the switch to the Apple File System, better optimized for flash storage. In some cases it restored gigabytes of storage space.

Update: Release notes are now available, and point to bugfixes and security updates. In the latter category Apple has solved a vulnerability that would let hackers run attacks through a device's Wi-Fi chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member

Apple is in the process of phasing out 32-bit support, and indeed the iOS 10.3.2 beta appears to omit it entirely.

As did the 10.3 update. So I guess it ain't over 'till it's over.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    In June Apple will announce iOS 11 which drops support for iPhone 5/5c. Oh well, tech needs to move forward.

I wonder if this update brings anything new to other devices?
     I checked the update and it says "bug fixes and improves the security of your iPhone/iPad". I guess so.....
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 3 of 14
    So am I correct in understanding that this 10.3.1 will be the final iOS for the iPhone 5?  
    Is there any reason to update from 10.2.1 for those of use still happily using a new-ish iPhone 5?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    SanshoSansho Posts: 3member
    Apple documents in "About the security content of iOS 10.3.1" that 10.3.1 contains a wi-fi security patch. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 5 of 14
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    I'm puzzled as to why my 3-month old 5S completely 'froze' (black screen with the Apple logo... buttons didn't function at all) when I tried the iOS 10.3.1 update... I got it working again in under a minute using the quite well-known 'RecBoot' app... but I'm nervous about trying 10.3.2 or any other update until I sell and upgrade to a 7 or 8 in the next 12 months.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    SpamGodSpamGod Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Installed iOS 10.3.1 and it freed up even more space than 10.3 on both my iPhone and iPad.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I'm puzzled as to why my 3-month old 5S completely 'froze' (black screen with the Apple logo... buttons didn't function at all) when I tried the iOS 10.3.1 update... I got it working again in under a minute using the quite well-known 'RecBoot' app... but I'm nervous about trying 10.3.2 or any other update until I sell and upgrade to a 7 or 8 in the next 12 months.
    Just in case this helps- I had freezes when updating to 10.3 @ the iCloud screen. Turns out the content blocker I was using works by typing in a proxy server in the wifi settings and that was interfering with the upgrade. So turn that off if you have one set.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    So am I correct in understanding that this 10.3.1 will be the final iOS for the iPhone 5?  
    Is there any reason to update from 10.2.1 for those of use still happily using a new-ish iPhone 5?
    10.3.1 will not be the final iOS for the iPhone 5. AppleInsider is jumping to the wrong conclusion (or continuing to beat a dead horse on their earlier wrong conclusion).

In my opinion, the only reason the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPad 4 were missing in the first 10.3.2 beta is that it had the same bug that Apple discovered shortly after 10.3 was released, which resulted in Apple pulling 10.3 from being distributed via Software Update to the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPad 4 (all the models with 32-bit processors). The 10.3.2 beta came out the same day as 10.3, and Apple didn't include images for models with a known bug.

When the second 10.3.2 beta is released (early next week or sooner), it will include the fixes from 10.3.1, therefore I expect it will include images for the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPad 4.

As for reasons for updating from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 on an iPhone 5: have a look at the big list of security fixes in 10.3 and another in 10.3.1. Apart from security, there are a fair number of new/improved features and bug fixes in 10.3, as well as other bug fixes Apple hasn't specified. One new feature I find particularly useful (for any model) is "New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices".

chiaduervojohn.b
  • Reply 9 of 14
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    Just in case this helps- I had freezes when updating to 10.3 @ the iCloud screen. Turns out the content blocker I was using works by typing in a proxy server in the wifi settings and that was interfering with the upgrade. So turn that off if you have one set.
    Thanks for the info Rich... I had the same problem upgrading to 10.2 a week after the phone was delivered by a French telephone company (it came with 10.1) but no problem with 10.2.1, so with it now happening twice with different upgrades I'm a bit... (gnashing teeth) ggggrrrr!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Damn! I forgot I had a yellow iPhone 5C till I saw that pic! Time to update it.
    Royfb
  • Reply 11 of 14
    NOT a small update!!

652+MB update on an iPhone 7S Plus!!

zroger73
  • Reply 12 of 14
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Funny how 30 MB is considered "small"!

The entire text of the King James Bible fits on a 1.44 MB floppy disk with room left over.

The Facebook app for the iPhone, which is little more than a "web browser" that connects only to Facebook is 244 MB - equivalent to the text of almost 200 bibles!

Thanks to lazy coders creating code bloat, most apps are horribly inefficient using FAR more CPU power and taking up FAR more storage space than necessary. Instead of using efficient languages and coding techniques, they just slap something together and debug it until it mostly works using patches that add even more unnecessary code. This costs customers more money in data usage, makes the apps slower, and wastes resources.
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 14
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Upgraded to 10.3.1 today from 10.2.1 on an iPhone 7 and thought I would get more free disk space. I had about 14.7G available before the update, now I have around 12.4GB available. Kind of a bummer...

• Reply 14 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    zroger73 said:
    Funny how 30 MB is considered "small"!

The entire text of the King James Bible fits on a 1.44 MB floppy disk with room left over.

The Facebook app for the iPhone, which is little more than a "web browser" that connects only to Facebook is 244 MB - equivalent to the text of almost 200 bibles!

Thanks to lazy coders creating code bloat, most apps are horribly inefficient using FAR more CPU power and taking up FAR more storage space than necessary. Instead of using efficient languages and coding techniques, they just slap something together and debug it until it mostly works using patches that add even more unnecessary code. This costs customers more money in data usage, makes the apps slower, and wastes resources.
    I don't have facebook on my phone, but I guess I'm not surprised it's that big. Linked in is going down, but it's still 146MB. I downloaded FB Messenger the other day because I had to and I see it's 162! Even Twitter is over 100. Why are these social media apps so huge?!?!