Faster iMac's???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For the past couple of months apple has kept the new iMac's at 700Mhz, and 800Mhz. A little speed bump would not hurt anything. I'v heard rumors of apple introducing the iMac with the new 1Ghz chip. What's the news on that?? Also when's apple going to upgrade their bus speed. I mean with their faster and faster processors that speed cant be made use of with a 100mhz or 133Mhz bus. Apple should get a jump on that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Master:

<strong>For the past couple of months apple has kept the new iMac's at 700Mhz, and 800Mhz. A little speed bump would not hurt anything. I'v heard rumors of apple introducing the iMac with the new 1Ghz chip. What's the news on that?? Also when's apple going to upgrade their bus speed. I mean with their faster and faster processors that speed cant be made use of with a 100mhz or 133Mhz bus. Apple should get a jump on that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little bit? Apple hasn't even shipped 2 out of the 3 iMacs on offer. Let them get them out the door first before you start speculating about when the next version is coming out.
  • Reply 1 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I'd say they will update the bus speed when the Powermacs have switched to DDR.

Definitely too early for any update though. All the iMacs aren't even shipping yet.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Too early. Most havnt even started shipping yet. Also, giving them just as much processing power as the towers would be a bad move.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    They are either going to update the BUS speed on the next rev @ MWNY or use that update as a holdover to a slightly revamped model with a 200MHz FSB...which will probably be the time they break 1GHz.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The earliest speed bump will be at MWNY. Possibly later than that.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    With sales through the roof there's NO REASON to upgrade this soon. It's just nonsensical. I'm actually beginning to think they'll wait til after MWNY. Maybe on August 23rd. (Isn't that the iMac's birthday?) It would be a good surprise for the 4 year anniversary.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Tarbash:

<strong>With sales through the roof there's NO REASON to upgrade this soon. It's just nonsensical. I'm actually beginning to think they'll wait til after MWNY. Maybe on August 23rd. (Isn't that the iMac's birthday?) It would be a good surprise for the 4 year anniversary.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good idea, it'd be just in time for last-minute school purchases and it'd ship in quantity just in time for Christmas.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    How about a 17" LCD iMac? I think Apple should get one of them out ASAP. They wouldn't be able to make eough to meet demand for such an iMac.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    A 17 inch model would be cool JD, but they can't make enough of the 15 inch model to meet demand now, so what does that tell you?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>How about a 17" LCD iMac? I think Apple should get one of them out ASAP. They wouldn't be able to make eough to meet demand for such an iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Before this New iMac came out I was one of the chaps who consistently arugued over the last 18months for an LCD iMac and for the screens to be 15"+ and 17" Widescreen. I was totally flamed! Now the 15" is reallity and selling like hot cakes no one bats an eyelid.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    JW Pepper..shut up. IT doesn't matter if you were wrong or right. But anyway, have a cookie.

I would love to see a 17" LCD. I would love to see Apple differentiate the line a bit and have a higher iMac-class consumer computer with a meatier bus and a bigger screen. Don't think it will ever happen, but it would be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    A 17" screen would be nice but it won't happen till LCD prices lower alot more. But the next major rev, maybe 2003, might have one in the highend model.