(PC) Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a old Dell Dimension XPS T600 computer. I'd like to upgrade the CPU on this thing to a 1.2Ghz PIII from the 600MHz PIII. I'm I able to just pop the old CPU out and put the new one in? If so, can someone give me some instructions on how to do so.

P.S I've worked inside of a computer before, mostly installing CD-ROM drives, memory, and video cards, but never Processors.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Is the motherboard Slot 1 or is it Socket370? If it's Slot 1 then you would need to get an adapter card to plug it in. Then there is the BIOS, it might need to be updated also.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    find out what kind of motherboard it is, and look up the specs. it should tell you what the fastest chip is that it can take. if it's a 600 i'm guess it's not going to go much higher than a 1.2PIII tops. most likely it would top out around 800Mhz.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'll bet that it's a socket based board and that you should have no trouble getting a higher end P3 in there. Nonetheless it wouldn't hurt to inspect the motherboard yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It's a slot loading processor. Do they even sell those anymore, and if so, where. Otherwise is there an adapter I can get that i'll be able to use a socket 370 in a slot 1?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    This might be what you are looking for:

<a href="http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm"; target="_blank">PowerLeap 1.4 GHz Upgrade for 100 MHz FSB Slot-1 Systems</a>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    i don't quite understand it, Is that the whole processor, or do I have to buy a 370 socket processor that will attach to the PowerLeap (Adapter)???
  • Reply 7 of 9
    If the processor upgrade says for 133Mhz FSB only will it still work in a 100Mhz FSB systems?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    It comes with everything you need. It's a processor adapter with the proper voltage regulators on it for the PIIIs voltage requirments, along with a 1.4GHz Tualatin PIII.

They make models for 100Mhz and 133MHz system buses, and you should probably get the one that matches your machines bus speed, which I think is 100Mhz. I believe you could use one meant for a 133Mhz system bus, but then the CPU would be underclocked because the multiplier on the CPU is locked, 10.5 x 133 for the 133Mhz bus, and 14 x 100 for the 100Mhz boards.

That might be a little confusing, but I think it gets the point across.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I'd like to get a PIII server chip in this thing, but it's for 133Mhz FSB only. Would I still be able to use it? If it is the 1.4GHz version, how much of a performance dump would I take sticking it into a 100Mhz FSB machine?