Rumor: Supply chain issues with 'iPhone 8' 3D sensors may lead to late launch in Oct. or N...

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2017
New supply chain reports suggest that Apple is having difficulty with the design and sourcing of components of the "iPhone 8," affording credence to earlier reports that the high-end device may not launch in September.

'iPhone 8' concept rendering by Marek Weidlich.

The Chinese-language Economic Daily News reports that "technical issues" related to the OLED screen lamination process and unspecified difficulties with the 3D sensing system in the "iPhone 8" could potentially cause delays, shifting the launch to October or November.

It is not clear if the publication means that the device will debut at an event in October or November, or won't start selling until that timeframe. As of late, a new iPhone generation is announced in September, with shipments in late September or early October, with demand outstripping supply for at least a month.

The report by the Economic Daily News is the third suggesting that the 3D sensor was leading to problems with the design. A report in early March suggested that STMicroelectronics was having difficulty with parts fabrication.

Suppliers for components in the iPhone 8 named by Wednesday's report are TSMC, Foxconn Electronics, Pegatron Technology, Wistron, Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE), Largan Precision, Cyntec and Yageo. Himax was recently reported to be the source of components for the 3D sensor cited as a possible reason for delays.

Apple's "iPhone 8" is expected to use a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch practical area, the rest being dedicated to virtual buttons. Other features rumored to be included in the device are a 3D facial scanner, and other sensors embedded in the front glass of the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Such on/off rumors won't die until close to September.
    edred
  • Reply 2 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    wood1208 said:
    Otherwise, none of these sites would have anything to talk about. 
    Metriacanthosauruslkrupprogifan_newedredSpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think there is a pretty big short selling scam going on. Jack up the Apple share price then force it down before you sell. 
    brian green
  • Reply 4 of 21
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Apple has perfected the use of gossip and rumors to sell and feel out the market.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    tshapi said:
    Apple has perfected the use of gossip and rumors to sell and feel out the market.
    Huh? Apple doesn't need rumors to sell its product. I think you mean Wall Street. 
    edredpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macxpress said:
    wood1208 said:
    Trouble is a significant number of weak minds take rumor as established fact if they read it on the Internet. Then the rumor takes on a life of its own. We see that all the time when trolls or fanboys take a rumor and run with it.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    I disagree with others, I find it helpful to glean snippets like this, some of this will be noise, but pieced together can give clues about what's happening. It has been mentioned elsewhere that it's likely the iPhone 8 (or whatever it ends up being called) may not make it to stores until first quarter 2018, understandable since it's a complex piece of mass-produced high tech.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Garbage. There will be at least a hundred of these types of claims between now an September. Every year, without fail, this garbage starts.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    tshapi said:
    And you base this pronouncement on what? Some evidence of when they have been behind "the use of gossip and rumors to sell and feel out the market"? They don't need to use such unreliable tools to "sell" and "feel out the market". I find your assertion somewhat laughable and not reflecting much understanding of Apple, their market position and strategies. It also ignores their history and firmly established patterns.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    So, once again, the rumored feature, in a rumored product is rumored to be released later than the rumored release date. Ugh!
    slprescott
  • Reply 11 of 21
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I really didn't expect the delay rumors to be delayed this long...

/s
    slprescott
  • Reply 12 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    boredumb said:
    I really didn't expect the delay rumors to be delayed this long...

/s
    Time to sell rumors short.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 21
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    7s this year as is normal. And 8 next year as is normal.
    The "super cycle" like the yearly mythical Apple TV of years past is echo chamber nonsense.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    sog35 said:
    Apple stock will see $150 this year as I predicted.
    You've been predicting it for years, and it's why you lost your own bet and went back on your word by failing to self-ban as promised. 

Besides. predicting what's already likely is easy. It costs you nothing (especially since you don't stick to your own word) and can be done effortlessly. It is not a special ability on your part. 

I predict Apple will hit $160 one day. There -- see how easy it is? doesn't make me special.
    edited April 2017 Rayz2016
  • Reply 15 of 21
    John VercoJohn Verco Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What is the "3D sensor" used for? 3D video recording or augmented reality?
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 16 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    lkrupp said:
    macxpress said:
    wood1208 said:
    Trouble is a significant number of weak minds take rumor as established fact if they read it on the Internet. Then the rumor takes on a life of its own. We see that all the time when trolls or fanboys take a rumor and run with it.
    Yes, very true. This has been happening ever since I've participated in forums...back into the late 90's even.  
  • Reply 18 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    What is the "3D sensor" used for? 3D video recording or augmented reality?
    If there is a 3D sensor in the next iPhone, it would be used for facial recognition and AR. 
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I disagree with others, I find it helpful to glean snippets like this, some of this will be noise, but pieced together can give clues about what's happening. It has been mentioned elsewhere that it's likely the iPhone 8 (or whatever it ends up being called) may not make it to stores until first quarter 2018, understandable since it's a complex piece of mass-produced high tech.
    Y'see there's the problem right there; that is exactly the kind of rumour folk should be ignoring, and here you are ready to take it as gospel. 

• Reply 20 of 21
    Do we really think there will only be 5.1in of usable screen? That would be a big step backwards. Even the smallest S8 is 5.8in of usable screen. That doesn't seem right to me