AT&T bundles free HBO subscription with Unlimited Plus cellular plan

Posted:
in iPhone
Beginning on Thursday, AT&T will include a free HBO subscription as a perk of its high-cost Unlimited Plus plan, intensifying recent competition among U.S. cellular carriers.

People who don't already subscribe to an AT&T video service will be able to watch through DirecTV Now or HBO Go, using apps on multiple platforms including Apple's iOS and Apple TV. If a person already has DirecTV or U-verse, HBO will simply become free.

AT&T is also including a $25 monthly credit towards its video services, kicking in after the first three bills. The HBO credit starts within the first two.

With AutoPay and paperless billing enabled, Unlimited Plus costs $90 for a single line or $145 for two lines, with each further line costing an extra $20. It does however offer various perks, like roaming in Canada and Mexico, and 10 gigabytes of hotspot data per person. Users may be temporarily throttled if they top 22 gigabytes in a month.

The HBO bundle is possible because of AT&T's $85 billion buyout of Time Warner. That deal has yet to be approved, however, and faces opposition from politicians and others worried about increasing hegemony in the media landscape.

In the past few months U.S. carriers have been trading fire over unlimited plans, each hoping to clinch the one advantage that pulls in subscribers. Companies like AT&T and T-Mobile have in fact been making repeated adjustments in response to competition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No one gets it or still ignorant of reality. Current TV viewers want choices at reasonable price and not stupid bundling. If you bundle than have single channel add-on choice to even consider subscribing.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    You need IBM's Watson to try to figure out what internet, wireless or TV services to go for these days without getting shafted.  Then again, Watson would probably say you will whatever ...!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    With AutoPay and paperless billing enabled, Unlimited Plus costs $90 for a single line or $145 for two lines, with each further line costing an extra $20.

...plus the hidden fees and taxes that no one can understand or shop. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    eightzero said:
    With AutoPay and paperless billing enabled, Unlimited Plus costs $90 for a single line or $145 for two lines, with each further line costing an extra $20.

I literally had some AT&T sales reps state that they could not predict exactly how much my potential bill would be each month due to taxes and fees. ???
  • Reply 5 of 12
    JustWill312JustWill312 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I'm on the grand-fathered unlimited plan and I also have DirecTV Now - outside of the plan, but right now I can watch HBO contents in DirecTV Now app!
    I don't know if they're running special preview or what, but I'm not complaining.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    joeysjoeys Posts: 4member
    My T-mobile unlimited talk, text and 4GLTE data plan is $70 all taxes and fees included with autopay. For the first time a carrier has included all the hidden fees in their plan. I just see a monthly bill for $70 now. Thats it! Very straight forward. Since I travel abroad often the free international data included is super handy. I dont worry about roaming fees anymore. Add $15 for HBO and thats $85 a month which is still less than AT&T's $90 a month plan + taxes and fees.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    linkman said:
    eightzero said:

I literally had some AT&T sales reps state that they could not predict exactly how much my potential bill would be each month due to taxes and fees. ???
    Because AT&T has no way of doing math.

joeys said:
    My T-mobile unlimited talk, text and 4GLTE data plan is $70 all taxes and fees included with autopay. For the first time a carrier has included all the hidden fees in their plan. I just see a monthly bill for $70 now. Thats it! Very straight forward. Since I travel abroad often the free international data included is super handy. I dont worry about roaming fees anymore. Add $15 for HBO and thats $85 a month which is still less than AT&T's $90 a month plan + taxes and fees.
    I do hope that this becomes the norm, but suspect it will not. For sure, T-Mobile is still paying those applicable taxes, so they make less in states with higher state and local taxes (like here in WA.) 

Competition is good. I'm not switching to this, and T-Mobile does have my attention.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    MacPro said:
    You need IBM's Watson to try to figure out what internet, wireless or TV services to go for these days without getting shafted.  Then again, Watson would probably say you will whatever ...!
    A girl knows...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    joeys said:
    But for a family of four, AT&T's $185 (even when you add taxes & fees) seems pretty good. Does T-Mobile have something similar for a family? Also, how is T-Mobile's coverage? Is it starting to get comparable to the big 2?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    @Thompr - I was on the old AT&T unlimited data iPhone plan from 2007 until 3 months ago. Wife & I combined our lines onto a single T-Mobile One plan for $120 total, taxes & fees included. Within 2 weeks, they dropped the plan to $100. Then, for just 5 days, they ran a promo where you could add a 3rd line for FREE. I added my sister to the plan, porting her away from Verizon, where she'd been paying about $120/month for her service. 3 lines, $100, as long as we stay on the plan. All unlimited. Then they added one more perk - the included 3G tethering was bumped to LTE and 10gb. The deal has gotten sweeter 3 separate times in just the first 3 months. It's awesome. Coverage? Almost as good as AT&T here in metro Phoenix where we live. We're headed to rural southern Arizona this weekend, which will be a big test for us, as we're moving down there later this year. T-Mobile's reputation is strong in urban/suburban areas, but sketchy in rural areas, but allegedly improving all the time. We'll find out if it's gonna work for us down south soon enough now. Fingers crossed. Oh, and the latest perk: free MLB TV Premium for all subscribers yesterday, all you had to do was claim it. $120 value. Every MLB telecast free on all compatible devices, not just your T-Mobile phone. It's a freaking bonanza. SOOO glad I bolted from AT&T, where I'd been since the 90's.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    big kc said:
    @Thompr - I was on the old AT&T unlimited data iPhone plan from 2007 until 3 months ago. Wife & I combined our lines onto a single T-Mobile One plan for $120 total, taxes & fees included. Within 2 weeks, they dropped the plan to $100. Then, for just 5 days, they ran a promo where you could add a 3rd line for FREE. I added my sister to the plan, porting her away from Verizon, where she'd been paying about $120/month for her service. 3 lines, $100, as long as we stay on the plan. All unlimited. Then they added one more perk - the included 3G tethering was bumped to LTE and 10gb. The deal has gotten sweeter 3 separate times in just the first 3 months. It's awesome. Coverage? Almost as good as AT&T here in metro Phoenix where we live. We're headed to rural southern Arizona this weekend, which will be a big test for us, as we're moving down there later this year. T-Mobile's reputation is strong in urban/suburban areas, but sketchy in rural areas, but allegedly improving all the time. We'll find out if it's gonna work for us down south soon enough now. Fingers crossed. Oh, and the latest perk: free MLB TV Premium for all subscribers yesterday, all you had to do was claim it. $120 value. Every MLB telecast free on all compatible devices, not just your T-Mobile phone. It's a freaking bonanza. SOOO glad I bolted from AT&T, where I'd been since the 90's.
    Everything now sounds like free beer, unicorns, and sunshine.

If I was forced to watch pro baseball it would be possibly the worst punishment imaginable.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    has anyone tried and got this to work?  I have Unlimited Plus plan, but I don't know how to get to this?