Apple Clips app 64-bit only, another move suggesting end of 32-bit device support

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's compact video editing app Clips has debuted and requires iOS 10.3 which in itself runs on 32-bit devices -- but the app doesn't run at all on the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPad 4.

Apple's Clips video editing app, announced at the same time as the 2017 9.7-inch iPad, is a more complex video capture application than the existing mechanism in the Photos app. It allows users to capture a video live, apply video filters, overlays, and posters, and rapidly upload the video to assorted social media venues.

It is not exactly clear when Apple will completely drop support for 32-bit devices in the iOS itself. The omission of 32-bit device compatibility appears to be another step for the company in that direction.

During the beta process, iOS 10.3 changed a warning about 32-bit software slowing down devices. Halfway through the beta release cycle, the warning started telling users that 32-bit software would soon not work at all on iOS.

The iOS 10.3 update originally had the ability to update 32-bit hardware "over the air," which was then retracted. Affected devices, including the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPad 4 were always able to be updated through iTunes, though.

The iOS 10.3.1 update restored the "over the air" update capability. However, the iOS 10.3.2 beta, released between the 10.3 and 10.3.1 update currently lacks 32-bit device support and it is unknown at this time if it will return.

Clips is a free download from the App Store, and occupies 49.3MB of device storage space, prior to video editing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    Elimination of 32 bit app support will likely lead to some amount of non-upgrading, like those Macs that are stuck at Snow Leopard.
    baconstang
  • Reply 2 of 5
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,104member
    Half of my 46 third party apps are 32 bit.
    18 were premium or ad free "Pro" versions.
    I hate iOS 10 and no way I'm going to 11 on my SE.
  • Reply 3 of 5

I can understand your frustration, but the show must go on.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 5
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Really "hate", there is not that many differences from 9 to 10...
    Do you hate better security too? Cause that's going to have to be one of the tradeoffs.

Also, your also preemptively hating 11 too?

The IOS you "love" IOS 7-9 was a derided a lot when it came out... There are always people that can't accept change no matter what it is.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 5
    32-bit app support was announced to be discontinued quite some time ago. If the app developers don't care to port to 64 bits, and I am sure it is not that overly difficult in the Xcode environment and if you are a good programmer enough to write an app in the first place, then it is good that the world goes on, and leaves behind software made by sub-par and/or lazy developers/companies with no interest in their customer base. 64 bit capable iPhones are sold since years. It is not like Apple turned off 32 bit support out of the blue....is it?