Apple's comments on future Mac Pro hint at possible virtual reality support in macOS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    The problem is that when I was at NAB event and went up into Samsung's and Oculus' booths to see what they had for VR it was a nice setup with a swivel chair and a person there handing out the VR headsets. You sat down put them on and selected like 4 different scenes, one was like an african safari and another was a surfing scene following a surfer as he went into a huge wave, and the other 2 I didn't watch so don't remember. Each video though had great sounds and swiveling in the chair allowed you to get the full 360 effect easily, but the Video itself was horrendous. It was like watching a 1950's technicolor produced show when you sat right next to the tube TV. The artifacting was so apparent and ugly that I couldn't think anyone who actually gamed with these would want to do so for maybe more than 10 minutes before moving on to something a whole lot better. My co-workers all agreed that even though VR was cool, we were not going to even think about putting out a product on it until it would get to a point where users would be able to have 1080p quality, which from what we could see is a long ways off. I think Apple is good for moving to AR which has much more practicality and is something which works and can be used now instead of waiting for GPUs from the vendors to get to where they need to be to make VR work like it should.
    360 video is NOTHING like actual gaming, where you can actually peer around/under/behind/inside objects and stuff, much less interact with objects using independent handed controllers. I have a PSVR and it's incredible for a first-gen consumer product. I absolutely cannot wait to see where the next gen takes it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    I've been confused about this topic for some time. So you mean to tell me that a $3K+ spec. out MacBook Pro as wells as a Mac Pro is too weak to run Oculus VR? Makes upper-end Apple computers seem like toys, no? What makes Windows compatible machines so robust and special?
    calling a mac a toy is a silly troll trope. high end VR of the OR sort is such a minute niche that it's insane to call all other computing a toy if they aren't doing it. software development, graphics, publishing, video editing, running a business, etc, all work fine on a mac. 
    Video editing yes, video finishing, barely. My Resolve kit with external GPUs are a fraction of the speed of a decent SuperMicro CentOS rig, for the same money as a current (2013) Mac Pro. As for running a business, these days you can do it on a ChromeBook. All in the Cloud, man...