Apple rival Samsung forecasts high profits despite Note 7 fires & political scandals

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung Electronics on Friday announced a forecast of its best profits in over three years for the March quarter, despite dealing with the fire-prone Galaxy Note 7, and a political scandal that resulted in the arrest of vice chairman Jay Y. Lee.

Operating profits likely hit $8.8 billion, beating an analyst consensus of just under $8.3 billion, Reuters reported. Overall revenue is estimated to have grown 0.4 percent to over $44 billion, again topping analyst predictions.

Sales are thought to have been fueled by Samsung's semiconductor business, and to a lesser extent low- to mid-range smartphones. The company is world's biggest memory chip supplier, topping the likes of Toshiba, and riding high on a memory "super-cycle."

Battery problems with the Note 7 led to two recalls and the eventual termination of the product. In January, Samsung estimated that the debacle would cost it $5 billion, without factoring in any damage to its reputation.

Lee is accused of directing money to Choi Soon-sil, a close friend of ousted South Korean President Park Geun-hye, in return for political favors -- above all, support from the National Pension Services for a 2015 merger between Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T, which gave Lee more power within the Samsung Group. On Friday, the executive appeared in a Seoul courtroom. Other Korean corporations have also been accused of undue influence.

Samsung's fortunes could improve still further with the release of the Galaxy S8 later this month. The phone contains many features expected for Apple's "iPhone 8," such as a curved, 5.8-inch OLED screen, virtual buttons, 3D facial recognition, and augmented reality functions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    It's their chip business that's going gangbusters.

They can thank Apple. 
    jahbladecalilamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 63
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... Samsung's fortunes could improve still further with the release of the Galaxy S8 later this month.  ...
    There is certainly pent-up desire for the Galaxy S8.
    But only among customers who haven't already switched to iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 63
    sockrolid said:
    ... Samsung's fortunes could improve still further with the release of the Galaxy S8 later this month.  ...
    There is certainly pent-up desire for the Galaxy S8.
    But only among customers who haven't already switched to iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
    Samsung is spending big on promotions for the S8. Two of the UK networks that have retail outlets near to me are wall-to-wall Samsung S8 billboards. It is as if there are no other phones available.
    They are also advertising a lot on TV. Pre-order now and get it 8 days early.
    One other MNVO outlet is also Wall-to-wall Samsung, this time the Galaxy A.

Bang goes their profits then?
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Samsung Electronics I can see... Apple certainly contributed to that.   Samsung Mobile is something else entirely.  Lets see what happens.  Samsung is already known for being a lying miscreant when it comes honesty in the courtroom.

I think Samsung buyers either don't care about quality, or they have the attention span of a gnat and Samsung is banking on that.
    pscooter63calimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 63
    This is what happens when you innovate, put out devices with the latest cutting edge technology in them, like wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR ecosystem at a great price. All make for a winning formula. Plus make all the most important parts (screens, chipsets, memory) for the other biggest mobile phones out there too, you are gonna make some big money!
    KawhiUCONN
  • Reply 6 of 63
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This is what happens when you innovate, put out devices with the latest cutting edge technology in them, like wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR ecosystem at a great price. All make for a winning formula. Plus make all the most important parts (screens, chipsets, memory) for the other biggest mobile phones out there too, you are gonna make some big money!
    Yes because Apple doesn't make big money... :rollseyes: Apple only has nearly double the profits of Samsung by doing LESS. But I guess that does't matter...

Thanks for the troll post and the laugh!
    edited April 2017 docbburknapoleon_phoneapartStrangeDayslkrupppscooter63calimejsricgilly017magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 63
    It all has to work though. The Note 7 will live long in people's memory.

Then you have to consider that for most people those 'features' don't matter that much. Smartwatches are very much a minority thing.
    As long at it works and they can use Facebook etc then people will be happy.
    VR is even more of a minority thing than smartwatches.
    Nice to have but hardly Unique Selling Points that the masses will line up en-masse for.

You will be wanting SD cards and removable batteries next.

I admit that it will be hard for Apple to differentiate their next device from this one. But hey, that's what the top bods get paid the big bucks for.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 63
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This because they lied about the actual impact of the Note 7 Recall, I could not believe it was going to cost them $5B, they took the opportunity to write off a bunch of bad will, and set the bar low going into 2017, this way, up was the most probably case.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 63
    DanielEranDanielEran Posts: 290editor

We know where Samsung makes its money because the company reports it. 

IM is smartphones tablets and PCs, etc (similar business segment to Apple). It's down significantly since 2014. So no, "wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR " are not the reason Samsung is making more money over the past two years. 

It's mostly from and Semiconductors-- displays and largely RAM, because all those Chinese phones have to pack in lots of DRAM to run Android ( and also because Apple is buying up flash for high end sales of iOS devices).  CE (appliances) are also growing. Samsung smartphones are down, and in particular profitable smartphones are down since 2014. Clearly because Apple erased the size difference. 
    StrangeDaysRayz2016macxpressStevenSterkpscooter63calirevenantMacPromejsricgilly017
  • Reply 10 of 63
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

We know where Samsung makes its money because the company reports it. 

IM is smartphones tablets and PCs, etc (similar business segment to Apple). It's down significantly since 2014. So no, "wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR " are not the reason Samsung is making more money over the past two years. 

It's mostly from and Semiconductors-- displays and largely RAM, because all those Chinese phones have to pack in lots of DRAM to run Android ( and also because Apple is buying up flash for high end sales of iOS devices).  CE (appliances) are also growing. Samsung smartphones are down, and in particular profitable smartphones are down since 2014. Clearly because Apple erased the size difference. 
    I bet Samsung will make s lot from Apple for the OLED screens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 63
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    What is meant by a "curved screen"?? edit: ok I see in pictures it curves over on the edges. But...who's expecting the next iPhone to do that as claimed? Why?
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 63
    No, I think you meant this is what happens:

When Apple does it we get this:

...a top of the line, waterproof (resistant is what you meant but whatever) leading device that doesnt blow up and destroy property and which has never been banned from all aircraft for fear of killing everyone aboard. Plus a smart watch that doesnt look like a hockey puck strapped to your arm. And no gimmicks like eyeball-scrolling or VR or faulty facial recognition that has already been defeated with a simple photograph. 
    edited April 2017 pscooter63calimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 63
    sog35 said:

Hope the iPhone8 at least matches it on hardware design. Frankly the iPhone6, 6s, and 7 has fallen behind hardware design (the way the product looks) compared to Samsung. Kinda sucks.  Apple should have the best designs, but frankly that has not been true since the iPhone6.  have no idea what Ive does, but his iPhone designs have been CRAP lately.
    You continue to show ignorance about what design means. Good design is not just how something looks, but how it works. Last year Walt Mossberg said how good the Note 7 looked, but we all know how well it (didn't) work. 

“Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like. People think it’s this veneer – that the designers are handed this box and told, ‘Make it look good!’ That’s not what we think design is. It’s not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” -Steve Jobs
    edited April 2017 StevenSterkpscooter63MacPromagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 63

...a top of the line, waterproof (resistant is what you meant but whatever) leading device that doesnt blow up and destroy property and which has never been banned from all aircraft for fear of killing everyone aboard. Plus a smart watch that doesnt look like a hockey puck strapped to your arm. And no gimmicks like eyeball-scrolling or VR or faulty facial recognition that has already been defeated with a simple photograph. 

apple pay works at 11% of credit card terminals in the USA right now, Samsung pay works at 98% of credit card terminals in the USA.  Not having to carry my credit cards or wallets around ever is worth every penny.  Thank goodness i have never had any problems with overheating or fires on any samsungs I have ever owned.  I can also reach over without looking in the dark, and get my phone charging in the middle of the night by simply placing it on the charging pad on my nightstand, no fiddling for cables and finding the charging port on the bottom of my phone. and I have had that feature for 3 years NOW, i dont know how i could live without it.  I had an iphone 1 all the way thru the iphone 5 but when i took a fair and balanced look at what apple was offering and what samsung phones were offering, i had to switch to samsung and i gotta say, I have never thought of switching back once.

If apple adds wireless charging finally to their phones, you all will see a small piece of the great features i have been enjoying for years and you will still have so many other great features you dont even realize you are missing which you will wait years for because you are "patiently waiting for Apple to do it the right way".  Good luck with that belief, i'm over here enjoying the future!
    avon b7calisingularity
  • Reply 15 of 63

apple pay works at 11% of credit card terminals in the USA right now, Samsung pay works at 98% of credit card terminals in the USA.  Not having to carry my credit cards or wallets around ever is worth every penny.  Thank goodness i have never had any problems with overheating or fires on any samsungs I have ever owned.  I can also reach over without looking in the dark, and get my phone charging in the middle of the night by simply placing it on the charging pad on my nightstand, no fiddling for cables and finding the charging port on the bottom of my phone. and I have had that feature for 3 years NOW, i dont know how i could live without it.  I had an iphone 1 all the way thru the iphone 5 but when i took a fair and balanced look at what apple was offering and what samsung phones were offering, i had to switch to samsung and i gotta say, I have never thought of switching back once.

If apple adds wireless charging finally to their phones, you all will see a small piece of the great features i have been enjoying for years and you will still have so many other great features you dont even realize you are missing which you will wait years for because you are "patiently waiting for Apple to do it the right way".  Good luck with that belief, i'm over here enjoying the future!
    You do realize your Samsung Pay is much less secure than Apple Pay, right? If Target/Home Depot/whoever gets hacked (again), they get your credit card number. That's because it fails to use tokenization, which Apple Pay does. Having been thru the hassle of having to change all my bill-pays due to a hack, and knowing these one-time-use Apple Pay tokens are keeping my credit secure, is worth every penny.

But have fun with your, uh, charging mat. Having one of those next to my bed sounds super sweet.
    edited April 2017 pscooter63caliMacsplosionmejsricmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 63
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member

The problem is that you don't touch on how both techs work. One is designed to be secure and built from scratch. Another one is designed on the same old tech used now, thereby making it just as insure as the tech it was supposed to replace. Convenience is an important feature, when it does not trump security of your wallet.
    When Apple does something, they usually do that well. When Sammy does something, you can bet certain shortcuts were made to deliver you "the best" "features" to date....such as touchless scrolling that no one uses, because it is so good; facial recognition that does not work for what it was intended. Do you have a great OLED screen? Sure! Too bad, color correction and proper handling of color profiles is nonexistent on Android, making that OLED with almost AdobeRGB gamut absolutely useless. 
    GPU is so weak that you can barely play games at 720p WITH HUGE loss in quality ... on a supposedly 1440p screen.
    Wireless charging is a joke because unlike a wired charging, you can't use the device while it is charging...unless you wanna move a charging surface along with your phone. You can do that qith wired charging...and it is more efficient because you do not waste energy by radiating it away into 3D space.
    Multiple processor cores ( 4-8 instead of two) which leads to absolutely abysmall performance of non-multithreaded apps...which shows in benchmarks.
    Do I need to continue?
    Everything they do is not balanced and not well thought out, but absolutely done to show off (unfortunately only on paper).
    edited April 2017 StevenSterkpscooter63Macsplosionmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 63

You do realize your Samsung Pay is much less secure than Apple Pay, right? If Target/Home Depot/whoever gets hacked (again), they get your credit card number. That's because it fails to use tokenization, which Apple Pay does. Having been thru the hassle of having to change all my bill-pays due to a hack, and knowing these one-time-use Apple Pay tokens are keeping my credit secure, is worth every penny.

But have fun with your, uh, charging mat. Having one of those next to my bed sounds super sweet.
    Not sure where you are getting your information but samsung tokenizes every single transaction, the banks wouldn't participate with a digital payment platform if it didnt.  My credit card number changes with every single samsung pay transaction, so go ahead and steal my card number from an old transaction, won't work twice!!  talk about fake news, good try though, but samsung pay is amazingly superior to Apple pay on so many levels.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    By adding useless bells and whistles to pos OS and copycat design? At the end Apple got most market profits while Samsung get get some left over. Apple needs only sell 1 phone while Samsung must sell 5+ to make the same profit...do the math!
    edited April 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 63

Not sure where you are getting your information but samsung tokenizes every single transaction, the banks wouldn't participate with a digital payment platform if it didnt.  My credit card number changes with every single samsung pay transaction, so go ahead and steal my card number from an old transaction, won't work twice!!  talk about fake news, good try though, but samsung pay is amazingly superior to Apple pay on so many levels.
    Ah, sounds like they copied Apple Pay and fixed it.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member

The problem is that you don't touch on how both techs work. One is designed to be secure and built from scratch. Another one is designed on the same old tech used now, thereby making it just as insure as the tech it was supposed to replace. Convenience is an important feature, when it does not trump security of your wallet.
    When Apple does something, they usually do that well. When Sammy does something, you can bet certain shortcuts were made to deliver you "the best" "features" to date....such as touchless scrolling that no one uses, because it is so good; facial recognition that does not work for what it was intended. Do you have a great OLED screen? Sure! Too bad, color correction and proper handling of color profiles is nonexistent on Android, making that OLED with almost AdobeRGB gamut absolutely useless. 
    GPU is so weak that you can barely play games at 720p WITH HUGE loss in quality ... on a supposedly 1440p screen.
    Wireless charging is a joke because unlike a wired charging, you can't use the device while it is charging...unless you wanna move a charging surface along with your phone. You can do that qith wired charging...and it is more efficient because you do not waste energy by radiating it away into 3D space.
    Multiple processor cores ( 4-8 instead of two) which leads to absolutely abysmall performance of non-multithreaded apps...which shows in benchmarks.
    Do I need to continue?
    Everything they do is not balanced and not well thought out, but absolutely done to show off (unfortunately only on paper).
    Believe me, even without those technicalities on colour correction, temperature, profiles etc, when you look one of these premium Android screens you will be hard pressed to differentiate from them from an iPhone screen. They both look great and that, for virtually every buyer, is what counts.

Wireless charging gives you flexibility. great for in car or bedside charging. The cable charge option is still there if you need it. 

Fast charging will get you out of a pickle more often than you think.