Apple rival Samsung forecasts high profits despite Note 7 fires & political scandals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There is a never ending line of brainless zombies who want apples old technology and emojis over cutting edge tech features from another company and will overpay apple for it.
    You do realize, don’t you, that you are parroting the same tired old crap trolls have been trotting out for decades? Only stupid people buy Apple products? Really? That’s all you can come up with? How old are you? Do you have developmental impairments? Has your parent’s basement been tested for Radon? It rots your brain you know.
    edited April 2017 therunningvmcaliMacPromagman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    fallenjt said:
    This is what happens when you innovate, put out devices with the latest cutting edge technology in them, like wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR ecosystem at a great price. All make for a winning formula. Plus make all the most important parts (screens, chipsets, memory) for the other biggest mobile phones out there too, you are gonna make some big money!
    By adding useless bells and whistles to pos OS and copycat design? At the end Apple got most market profits while Samsung get get some left over. Apple needs only sell 1 phone while Samsung must sell 5+ to make the same profit...do the math!
    But Samsung didn't have to create that pos OS and the phone even works great with it! 

The creator of that pos OS gets five users connected to its ecosystem and even gets a lot of iOS users too.

Those five users get eliminated as potential iPhone clients.

Nobody needs to make the same profit as Apple. They just need to make a profit.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    sog35 said:
    I had a chance to touch and hold the Galaxy S8 and S8+

GOT TO SAY THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL PHONES. IMO, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EVER. AND PAIR THAT MICRO BEZEL DESIGN WITH A CRAZY AMAZING SCREEN..........WOW. 

For the doubters you need to see it in person and feel it. Pictures don't do it justice.

Hope the iPhone8 at least matches it on hardware design. Frankly the iPhone6, 6s, and 7 has fallen behind hardware design (the way the product looks) compared to Samsung. Kinda sucks.  Apple should have the best designs, but frankly that has not been true since the iPhone6.  have no idea what Ive does, but his iPhone designs have been CRAP lately.
    True it is a good looking phone. To bad it is still running android and full of useless features. I played with it the day it came out and the danm thing froze on me after 2 minutes. I don't use Apple for it looks (they do matter, but not as much) I need a reliable simple thing that can do what I need when I need it. All the rest of super high innovative super tech ( that doesn't look all that super or innovative to me) that android maker have come up with to try and over shadow Apple's reliabity and usefulness. I'll let those who are so insecure that need some type of reassurance when they buy something, have all those super innovations for themselves. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    This is what happens when you innovate, put out devices with the latest cutting edge technology in them, like wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR ecosystem at a great price. All make for a winning formula. Plus make all the most important parts (screens, chipsets, memory) for the other biggest mobile phones out there too, you are gonna make some big money!
    No, I think you meant this is what happens:

When Apple does it we get this:

...a top of the line, waterproof (resistant is what you meant but whatever) leading device that doesnt blow up and destroy property and which has never been banned from all aircraft for fear of killing everyone aboard. Plus a smart watch that doesnt look like a hockey puck strapped to your arm. And no gimmicks like eyeball-scrolling or VR or faulty facial recognition that has already been defeated with a simple photograph. 

apple pay works at 11% of credit card terminals in the USA right now, Samsung pay works at 98% of credit card terminals in the USA.  Not having to carry my credit cards or wallets around ever is worth every penny.  Thank goodness i have never had any problems with overheating or fires on any samsungs I have ever owned.  I can also reach over without looking in the dark, and get my phone charging in the middle of the night by simply placing it on the charging pad on my nightstand, no fiddling for cables and finding the charging port on the bottom of my phone. and I have had that feature for 3 years NOW, i dont know how i could live without it.  I had an iphone 1 all the way thru the iphone 5 but when i took a fair and balanced look at what apple was offering and what samsung phones were offering, i had to switch to samsung and i gotta say, I have never thought of switching back once.

If apple adds wireless charging finally to their phones, you all will see a small piece of the great features i have been enjoying for years and you will still have so many other great features you dont even realize you are missing which you will wait years for because you are "patiently waiting for Apple to do it the right way".  Good luck with that belief, i'm over here enjoying the future!
    Ir you're going to troll for Samsung, at least do a better job of it.

Yeah, SamsungPay is more widely available, but oh.. wait..
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/9/12410716/samsung-mobile-pay-token-hack-defcon

Sure... their new S8 has that fancy "security feature" that Samsung brags about, but oh.. wait..
    https://www.techworm.net/2017/04/newly-launched-samsung-galaxy-s8-facial-recognition-system-hacked.html

They're had their iTunes Killer all ready to go... but wait..
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/20/12567892/samsung-milk-music-september-slacker

And of course, we all know how serious Samsung is with phones worthy for the Department of Defense:
    http://wccftech.com/samsung-knox-flaws-give-hackers-full-control/ ;

Go troll elsewhere.  If you truly believe Samsung is more cutting edge, then I have a bridge I'd love to sell you.  What you claim about Samsung being more cutting-edge, is in reality more akin to Samsung throwing a lot of shit at the wall and hoping something sticks.  Samsung is the epitome of a gimmick-creator.
    edited April 2017 pscooter63calimagman1979fracwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 63

...a top of the line, waterproof (resistant is what you meant but whatever) leading device that doesnt blow up and destroy property and which has never been banned from all aircraft for fear of killing everyone aboard. Plus a smart watch that doesnt look like a hockey puck strapped to your arm. And no gimmicks like eyeball-scrolling or VR or faulty facial recognition that has already been defeated with a simple photograph. 

apple pay works at 11% of credit card terminals in the USA right now, Samsung pay works at 98% of credit card terminals in the USA.  Not having to carry my credit cards or wallets around ever is worth every penny.  Thank goodness i have never had any problems with overheating or fires on any samsungs I have ever owned.  I can also reach over without looking in the dark, and get my phone charging in the middle of the night by simply placing it on the charging pad on my nightstand, no fiddling for cables and finding the charging port on the bottom of my phone. and I have had that feature for 3 years NOW, i dont know how i could live without it.  I had an iphone 1 all the way thru the iphone 5 but when i took a fair and balanced look at what apple was offering and what samsung phones were offering, i had to switch to samsung and i gotta say, I have never thought of switching back once.

If apple adds wireless charging finally to their phones, you all will see a small piece of the great features i have been enjoying for years and you will still have so many other great features you dont even realize you are missing which you will wait years for because you are "patiently waiting for Apple to do it the right way".  Good luck with that belief, i'm over here enjoying the future!
    Why do people call it wireless charging? Isn't it more like induction charging? It is still connected to a wire and it can only be charge while you are not using it. If use need it, you can't charge it. That is one of the reason I don't like this so call wireless charging that is connected to a wire. If Apple adopts this I hope they use a charger the size of the Apple Watch. Magnetic so it easily sticks to the phone, not a big plate like others use. 
    anton zuykovpscooter63caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 63
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    avon b7 said:

The problem is that you don't touch on how both techs work. One is designed to be secure and built from scratch. Another one is designed on the same old tech used now, thereby making it just as insure as the tech it was supposed to replace. Convenience is an important feature, when it does not trump security of your wallet.
    When Apple does something, they usually do that well. When Sammy does something, you can bet certain shortcuts were made to deliver you "the best" "features" to date....such as touchless scrolling that no one uses, because it is so good; facial recognition that does not work for what it was intended. Do you have a great OLED screen? Sure! Too bad, color correction and proper handling of color profiles is nonexistent on Android, making that OLED with almost AdobeRGB gamut absolutely useless. 
    GPU is so weak that you can barely play games at 720p WITH HUGE loss in quality ... on a supposedly 1440p screen.
    Wireless charging is a joke because unlike a wired charging, you can't use the device while it is charging...unless you wanna move a charging surface along with your phone. You can do that qith wired charging...and it is more efficient because you do not waste energy by radiating it away into 3D space.
    Multiple processor cores ( 4-8 instead of two) which leads to absolutely abysmall performance of non-multithreaded apps...which shows in benchmarks.
    Do I need to continue?
    Everything they do is not balanced and not well thought out, but absolutely done to show off (unfortunately only on paper).

Wireless charging gives you flexibility. great for in car or bedside charging. The cable charge option is still there if you need it. 

Fast charging will get you out of a pickle...
    What flexibility are you talking about?
    You still need to have charging devices to be connected next to your (bed/table/etc). So, instead of connecting that cable to the power brick and then connecting a phone to that cable, you need to bring your charging mat with you, the same way you do with a power brick and a cable. The only difference being, whether you want to have your phone charging WHILE you use it vs being able to charge the phone without reconnecting it every time you wanna charge it. 
    Wireless charging of today vs cabled version is like solar freaking roadways vs normal surface roads... One of these two is costly and gives ALMOST NO advantage over another one, while having several big drawbacks. 

Fast charging can get you out of a pickle....when it is implemented properly without pushing the envelope into a zone of hot innovations and exploding phones..
    edited April 2017 pscooter63magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Are people so blind that they can really not see all the useful innovations Apple has made? Touch ID, force touch, Siri, even the bigger screens on phones came from Apple. And Samsung use to say the iPhone was ugly and bulky and then Samsung switched to, is too small, and now Samsung is saying our screens have no ends Apple does.  

I have not not seen one real innovation come from Samsung. I may be wrong. If I am, sure somebody will let me know. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 63
    sflocal said:
    Samsung Electronics I can see... Apple certainly contributed to that.   Samsung Mobile is something else entirely.  Lets see what happens.  Samsung is already known for being a lying miscreant when it comes honesty in the courtroom.

I think Samsung buyers either don't care about quality, or they have the attention span of a gnat and Samsung is banking on that.
    I do buy Samsung products because I have been having awesome experience regarding quality so far. Only the non Samsung users seem to be concerned about quality. Strange
  • Reply 29 of 63
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Battery problems with the Note 7 led to two recalls and the eventual termination of the product. In January, Samsung estimated that the debacle would cost it $5 billion, without factoring in any damage to its reputation.

Lee is accused of directing money to Choi Soon-sil, a close friend of ousted South Korean President Park Geun-hye, in return for political favors -- above all, support from the National Pension Services for a 2015 merger between Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T, which gave Lee more power within the Samsung Group. On Friday, the executive appeared in a Seoul courtroom. Other Korean corporations have also been accused of undue influence.

Everything is going smoothly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    avon b7 said:
    fallenjt said:
    By adding useless bells and whistles to pos OS and copycat design? At the end Apple got most market profits while Samsung get get some left over. Apple needs only sell 1 phone while Samsung must sell 5+ to make the same profit...do the math!
    But Samsung didn't have to create that pos OS and the phone even works great with it! 

The creator of that pos OS gets five users connected to its ecosystem and even gets a lot of iOS users too.

And Kaboom...in the face!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sflocal said:
    Samsung Electronics I can see... Apple certainly contributed to that.   Samsung Mobile is something else entirely.  Lets see what happens.  Samsung is already known for being a lying miscreant when it comes honesty in the courtroom.

I think Samsung buyers either don't care about quality, or they have the attention span of a gnat and Samsung is banking on that.
    I do buy Samsung products because I have been having awesome experience regarding quality so far. Only the non Samsung users seem to be concerned about quality. Strange
    Then why the fuck are you even in here?
    calimagman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 63
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    sog35 said:

GOT TO SAY THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL PHONES. IMO, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EVER. AND PAIR THAT MICRO BEZEL DESIGN WITH A CRAZY AMAZING SCREEN..........WOW. 

For the doubters you need to see it in person and feel it. Pictures don't do it justice.

Hope the iPhone8 at least matches it on hardware design. Frankly the iPhone6, 6s, and 7 has fallen behind hardware design (the way the product looks) compared to Samsung. Kinda sucks.  Apple should have the best designs, but frankly that has not been true since the iPhone6.  have no idea what Ive does, but his iPhone designs have been CRAP lately.
    who are you and what did you do with Sog? 
    singularityfracwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 63
    sog35 said:

It's clear Apple's advantages aren't with the hardware (the iphone does well with the same design for 3 generations!) and that's a good thing. Sure, the Sammy phones have been pretty slick but it's the eco system and apps that make a platform sticky and that's all on Apple's side.

As phones go bezeless the designs will pretty much look derivative, making the apps/eco system even more important. Iphone 8 will be a smash hit.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 63
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Latest cutting edge technology"
    samsungPay and headphone jacks.
    *facepalm*

I cringe when people defend cheap iPhone knockoffs and claim they're "innovative" or "beautiful" while completely ignoring iPhone, the VERY device Samsung makes knockoffs of.

what has Samsung invented that wasn't a knockoff of Apple or other companies?
    curved TVs? Yeah how's that going for it?
    even Samsung admits they copy and you still have these morons defending them because Sammy pays so much in advertising/brainwashing.
    magman1979pscooter63anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 63
    TuuborTuubor Posts: 53member
    sog35 said:

I personally think the iPhone has a better design than any other smartphone, including the S8. Apple makes designs that are timeless. The iPhone 5 design is still great. So great that Apple used the design again in the SE. You could compare it to a design of an older beautiful car. The design doesn't go out of date. If it was beautiful back then, it is beautiful now. 

The problem is that people want something new. People (especially these days) get bored easily, so they want something new and shiny. The iPhone 6s and 7 have basically the same design than the 6. And you called the 6's design beautiful. They didnt need to change the design because it was already great. I think the S8 is too tall and looks a bit funny. And I am shure that Apple will not make a phone that tall and skinny even if they go almost bezeless. Because it doesn't look good. Samsung doesn't do good design.   They do ok. Even their smartwatches were designed by an American company. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:

The problem is that you don't touch on how both techs work. One is designed to be secure and built from scratch. Another one is designed on the same old tech used now, thereby making it just as insure as the tech it was supposed to replace. Convenience is an important feature, when it does not trump security of your wallet.
    When Apple does something, they usually do that well. When Sammy does something, you can bet certain shortcuts were made to deliver you "the best" "features" to date....such as touchless scrolling that no one uses, because it is so good; facial recognition that does not work for what it was intended. Do you have a great OLED screen? Sure! Too bad, color correction and proper handling of color profiles is nonexistent on Android, making that OLED with almost AdobeRGB gamut absolutely useless. 
    GPU is so weak that you can barely play games at 720p WITH HUGE loss in quality ... on a supposedly 1440p screen.
    Wireless charging is a joke because unlike a wired charging, you can't use the device while it is charging...unless you wanna move a charging surface along with your phone. You can do that qith wired charging...and it is more efficient because you do not waste energy by radiating it away into 3D space.
    Multiple processor cores ( 4-8 instead of two) which leads to absolutely abysmall performance of non-multithreaded apps...which shows in benchmarks.
    Do I need to continue?
    Everything they do is not balanced and not well thought out, but absolutely done to show off (unfortunately only on paper).
    Believe me, even without those technicalities on colour correction, temperature, profiles etc, when you look one of these premium Android screens you will be hard pressed to differentiate from them from an iPhone screen. They both look great and that, for virtually every buyer, is what counts.

Wireless charging gives you flexibility. great for in car or bedside charging. The cable charge option is still there if you need it. 

Fast charging will get you out of a pickle more often than you think.

Yeah, but it's not actually wireless charging because it still needs a wire. And now it also needs some kind of mat to make it work.  The extra second  to plug the phone in doesn't bother me that much. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 63
    idrey said:

Why do people call it wireless charging? Isn't it more like induction charging? It is still connected to a wire and it can only be charge while you are not using it. If use need it, you can't charge it. That is one of the reason I don't like this so call wireless charging that is connected to a wire. If Apple adopts this I hope they use a charger the size of the Apple Watch. Magnetic so it easily sticks to the phone, not a big plate like others use. 
    If you think about that way. Everything is connected to a wire at some point in the chain.

Now that some cars have the charging mats built in (at least I think I've seen car ads promoting it) and you can't hand hold your phone while driving, it's a very handy plus.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    fallenjt said:
    avon b7 said:
    fallenjt said:

And Kaboom...in the face!
    LOL, but even with the Kaboom!, they still sold millions of non-exploding phones. It's a crazy world ... or perhaps people simply understood that only one model was affected and just chose a non Note model. Fiendishly simple Penfold!
    singularity
  • Reply 39 of 63
    sflocal said:

Ir you're going to troll for Samsung, at least do a better job of it.

Yeah, SamsungPay is more widely available, but oh.. wait..
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/9/12410716/samsung-mobile-pay-token-hack-defcon

Sure... their new S8 has that fancy "security feature" that Samsung brags about, but oh.. wait..
    https://www.techworm.net/2017/04/newly-launched-samsung-galaxy-s8-facial-recognition-system-hacked.html

They're had their iTunes Killer all ready to go... but wait..
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/20/12567892/samsung-milk-music-september-slacker

And of course, we all know how serious Samsung is with phones worthy for the Department of Defense:
    http://wccftech.com/samsung-knox-flaws-give-hackers-full-control/ ;

Go troll elsewhere.  If you truly believe Samsung is more cutting edge, then I have a bridge I'd love to sell you.  What you claim about Samsung being more cutting-edge, is in reality more akin to Samsung throwing a lot of shit at the wall and hoping something sticks.  Samsung is the epitome of a gimmick-creator.
    I read the Verge link and read the comments. I couldn't see anything very worrying in it. Would it be reasonable to assume that very few or  even no one has actually suffered any fraud as a result of the implementation and that it only affects MST? Is it true that payment processing companies also fully know about the situation and are perfectly happy with it? As are participating banks and vendors?

If we want to look for this kind of flaw, does the EMV protocol flaw discovered by Cambridge University still exist? Or is it just accepted?
  • Reply 40 of 63
    CelTanCelTan Posts: 46member
    It is still only a forecast. - How many companies don't manage to hit their targets these days? Can we pull this article up in a years time and check what they actually made?
    watto_cobra