Jay Z pulls albums from Apple Music and Spotify

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    danny602danny602 Posts: 24member
    I'm not losing any sleep over this news, yawn good night 😴
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 66
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Artists like that are douche's IMO. They're creating music for revenue of course, but also to placate their fans, without which they'd be nothing! But their fans are spread over a number of such services. To pull your catalog from Music and Spotify (where by numbers I assume most of those fans reside) is disrespectful and like a kick in the nads for said fans. And just selfish and egotistical behavior (HipHop big surprise there - not) on the part of such artists. Personally I don't care for Jay Z as I'm not into HipHop and think he's overrated anyway (Beyonce is the talent in that power couple, not him!) But for those that do like his 'music' its insulting I suppose.
    edited April 2017 baconstangjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 66
    GulaakGulaak Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    This is the problem with artists owning music streaming. It is a double-edged sword. If they want their streaming service to be successful, they think exclusives are the answer, so they pull their own music from competitor's services. The reality is this only hurts the artists due to less clicks/streams played. These types of decisions are short-lived. When it comes down to it, it's all about money, and Jay-Z (and others) are interested in their bottom line, no matter where it comes from (competitors streaming services or their own). 
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 66
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    sflocal said:
    Is Mr. Beyonce even relevant anymore?
    Was he ever?
    You both sound extremely ignorant. Don't like the genre I get it ... But to try and be snarky and bash his relevancy is ridiculous. Mr Beyonce as you put it sflocal has a net worth of $610 million vs Beyonce's $265 million respectively. Usually when a man is identified by his wife's name that means she's the bread winner. I would use Nick Cannon when he was married Mariah as an example. Yes he's doing ok with a tv show, but nothing compared to Mariah. 

Jay Z makes multiple cameos on other people's albums every year.  With a possible world tour  this year. His last album was released a little less then four years ago and it went platinum on day one and has since been certified double platinum. In this day and age of streaming and torrent sharing that's pretty impressive. 

If you think he won't sell out every venue because of "relevancy" you would be sadly mistaken. That's like young kids trying to tell me Pearl Jam are no longer relevant.. yet every tour , every venue, in every country they sell out in minutes when a tour is announced and tickets go on sale.   If that isn't relevancy than I am not sure what it actually means...Same goes for Jay Z. 

He has made some of the most influential albums in hip hop and rap and that can't be denied. Just because you don't know his music or like him doesn't change that fact. 

I am not even a big fan of his at all but when I read this kind of crap on here I feel the need to say something. 
    singularitynetmagerobin huber
  • Reply 25 of 66
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    The world will be a better place when he and his horrible wife are irrelevant and forgotten. 
    you just revealed to everyone what the "white" in your name really means. 
    StrangeDaysbrucemcsingularityrobin huber
  • Reply 26 of 66
    On this site any rejection or snub of Apple will get the burning crosses out. 
    Solisecurtisbrucemcsingularity
  • Reply 27 of 66
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I've read this name before, but I've never intentionally listened to his "music" nor do I any intentions of doing so. After Googling his name, I was surprised to learn how popular he and his "music" are. I guess I've been living under a rock all these years. That's okay - I think I'll go back there. I don't like what I see out from underneath it. :)
    baconstang
  • Reply 28 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    spice-boy said:
    Please go back to MacRumors where trolls live and breed.
    baconstangStrangeDaysbrucemc
  • Reply 29 of 66
    london11london11 Posts: 62member
    A rather desperate move..? 

If he has the balls to take his music off iTunes too then I'll take my hat off to him...
  • Reply 30 of 66
    As a business man who owns the darn thing why not? SJ would have done the same thing. But reeks of desperation.
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 66
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    At least he isn't being invited to the White House anymore 
  • Reply 32 of 66
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    Please go back to MacRumors where trolls live and breed.
    Oh please, you see the same "supremacist" comments every time there's article about a person of color, Cook's very public support for LBGT(Q) persons or a female in high management. The same commenters feel insecure and or threatened when people that they can't see as equals succeed. Jay Z is where he is because he has made the right moves throughout his career yet because he is looking beyond Apple some people here take this as a huge insult as if he would be nowhere without Apple. 
    SoliStrangeDaysbrucemcsingularity
  • Reply 33 of 66
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I might have to get an Apple Music subscription now, looks like the quality of the music library got a lot better
    baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Templeton said:
    As a business man who owns the darn thing why not? SJ would have done the same thing. But reeks of desperation.
    This statement I can get behind.

Tidal apparently has 3M subscribers (from what I last read) and while that seems like a lot is that enough to sustain the service. Apple, like MS, could run a music service at a loss indefinitely, if needed, and Spotify seems to have the untethered service tied up. Frankly, I've been so impressed with Spotify's technical savvy that I've never considered trying another service—I've never even used my free Apple Music trial.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    zroger73 said:
    I've read this name before, but I've never intentionally listened to his "music" nor do I any intentions of doing so. After Googling his name, I was surprised to learn how popular he and his "music" are. I guess I've been living under a rock all these years. That's okay - I think I'll go back there. I don't like what I see out from underneath it. :)
    Depending on what "net worth" website you read he's worth more than Dr. Dre is now after the Beats deal. This is impressive for a variety of reasons, from the age in which he's become popular to the number of businesses he's had to manage to achieve that goal. That's nothing short of amazing in an age where musicians apparently can't make any money.

While we could debate whether a true musician needs to have that much money or that Paul McCartney is worth more from his actual music rather than from running success businesses that manage other musicians and other endeavours, you still come out with Jay-Z as being an excellent business man. Why exactly would people here have a problem with that? Because it's rap, pop, and R&B music? Because he competes with a new service from Apple? Because he's black? You might think that last question is unfair but let's remember what people said about Dr. Dre when Apple bought Beats.  If there's going to be a "first billionaire of hip hop" it's likely going to be Jay-Z, not Dr. Dre, unless Dre is heavily vested in AAPL and the market keeps going in his favour.

As of January of this year Tidal was worth an estimated $600M. That's over 10x more than Project Panther Bidco, a company owned by Jay-Z, bought it for jut 2 years earlier in January 2015. That's even more impressive than what Jobs did with his Pixar purchase from Lucas.

PS: I write this while only being able to name a handful of Jay-Z songs and only liking a portion of those.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 36 of 66
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 777member
    sflocal said:
    Was he ever?
    Only in his bathroom mirror.
    baconstang
  • Reply 37 of 66
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    "Streaming services are quickly becoming the de facto standard in music distribution. In 2016, subscription services like Apple Music, Spotify and Pandora helped drive the music industry's biggest gain since 1998..."

That's interesting. Usually you hear that streaming is killing the music business. Wonder if this increase is making it to the actual artists or just as far as their labels?
    baconstang
  • Reply 38 of 66
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    As soon as he notices sales are not increasing on his Tidal platform, he will try to renegotiate with Apple and Spoitify. Mark my words, he will be coming back before the year is over.
    baconstang
  • Reply 39 of 66
    JinTech said:
    As soon as he notices sales are not increasing on his Tidal platform, he will try to renegotiate with Apple and Spoitify. Mark my words, he will be coming back before the year is over.
    It would only be surprising if his content only stayed on Tidal. The only ones that quickly come to mind as currently being "permanent" are Taylor Swift on Spotify and Nest thermostat being sold by Apple. The former will be corrected when Spotify pays artists more per listen and Nest supports HomeKit.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 40 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jcs2305 said:
    sflocal said:
    Was he ever?
    You both sound extremely ignorant. Don't like the genre I get it ... But to try and be snarky and bash his relevancy is ridiculous. Mr Beyonce as you put it sflocal has a net worth of $610 million vs Beyonce's $265 million respectively. Usually when a man is identified by his wife's name that means she's the bread winner. I would use Nick Cannon when he was married Mariah as an example. Yes he's doing ok with a tv show, but nothing compared to Mariah. 

Jay Z makes multiple cameos on other people's albums every year.  With a possible world tour  this year. His last album was released a little less then four years ago and it went platinum on day one and has since been certified double platinum. In this day and age of streaming and torrent sharing that's pretty impressive. 

If you think he won't sell out every venue because of "relevancy" you would be sadly mistaken. That's like young kids trying to tell me Pearl Jam are no longer relevant.. yet every tour , every venue, in every country they sell out in minutes when a tour is announced and tickets go on sale.   If that isn't relevancy than I am not sure what it actually means...Same goes for Jay Z. 

He has made some of the most influential albums in hip hop and rap and that can't be denied. Just because you don't know his music or like him doesn't change that fact. 

I am not even a big fan of his at all but when I read this kind of crap on here I feel the need to say something. 
    I don't dispute he's a successful businessman, it's just that his product is complete garbage.
    baconstang