J.D. Power: 2017 tablet buyers report "outstanding" satisfaction, ready to spend money on ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    danvm said:
    "Apple's cheaper iPads are as satisfying as Surface Pros at twice the price"

See this is why no-one besides AI can take DED serious - the new iPad was just released a week or so ago, so how can he already draw those conclusions? No research or JD Power survey has these in it.
    As said before, DED is doing this site a massive disservice with his factually wrong and overly biased articles. 
    There is no comparison of a specific model (such as the new 2017 IPad) here. It was not even out when the survey was taken. But (and this next part is important)... Entry model iPads had previously been cheaper. Remember?

The point is: this comparison of the "user reported satisfaction" across the entire $300-1200 range of iPads vs $800-$1600 Surface Pros is flawed, but also indicated that everything else being said about tablets is also not in sync with what buyers themselves think.
    There is other point from the study: There are people who are pleased with the "toaster/fridge" device.  Years ago, you had an article where Cook said,

"You wouldn't want to put these things together because you end up compromising in both and not pleasing either user."
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/24/tim_cook_says_windows_8_style_tablet_pc_convergence_wont_please_anyone

Looks like he was wrong, and now Microsoft (not Apple) is the one pushing innovation on the hardware with the Surface line, both in mobile and desktop.  Let's see how Apple respond in the next few years.  

Microsoft has certainly gotten better than in the Balmer days but still has a way to go.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    danvm said:

See this is why no-one besides AI can take DED serious - the new iPad was just released a week or so ago, so how can he already draw those conclusions? No research or JD Power survey has these in it.
    As said before, DED is doing this site a massive disservice with his factually wrong and overly biased articles. 
    There is no comparison of a specific model (such as the new 2017 IPad) here. It was not even out when the survey was taken. But (and this next part is important)... Entry model iPads had previously been cheaper. Remember?

The point is: this comparison of the "user reported satisfaction" across the entire $300-1200 range of iPads vs $800-$1600 Surface Pros is flawed, but also indicated that everything else being said about tablets is also not in sync with what buyers themselves think.
    There is other point from the study: There are people who are pleased with the "toaster/fridge" device.  Years ago, you had an article where Cook said,

"You wouldn't want to put these things together because you end up compromising in both and not pleasing either user."
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/24/tim_cook_says_windows_8_style_tablet_pc_convergence_wont_please_anyone

Looks like he was wrong, and now Microsoft (not Apple) is the one pushing innovation on the hardware with the Surface line, both in mobile and desktop.  Let's see how Apple respond in the next few years. 
    Whether he is wrong or not  kind of depends on how many people are buying them.

How many Surface machines are being sold? More or less than iPads?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The Windows mindset [snip] contains within it a certain acceptance of periodic frustration with one's computing device. [snip]
    I know a few people for whom a computer has to be permanently battled with and conquered, before they will consider it a "real" computer and not a mere toy. For them, considering using Apple's gear is just ridiculous.
    Well, to be honest, I hardly ever come across a crash in Windows anymore. It's rock-solid stable.

The problems I have is the stuff Microsoft does deliberately.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 32
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    I really would not overestimate those results. First of all, it would appear that year by year the "measurement system" as well as the tablets in focus changed. So comparing one year to the other is not so straightforward already. 
    But maybe more important, they throw in potentially completely different use cases. 
    Let's compare to cars. A Porsche and a Dacia can both meet the expectations of their respective target group in equal ways.
    Still, no one in their right mind would be able to say that one is better than the others, unless you restrict the measurement to fact based o hectic data alone, such as fuel consumption, internal space etc. however, this not only quickly gets subjective and emotional, but also leaving this part out would basically take away the essence why a customer chose one car or the other in the first place. 
    Actually, if you would cross switch cars the owners verily likely would be less satisfied.
    so whether the iPad is on the top or not,I'd be more interested in the development of customer satisfaction over time regarding iPad, and look into specific feedback regarding what maybe are the least satisfactory aspects of them. End of story. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Rayz2016 said:
    danvm said:

Whether he is wrong or not  kind of depends on how many people are buying them.

How many Surface machines are being sold? More or less than iPads?
    Uh, no...  that's one measure.   But, if the number sold was the only criteria, Apple would be selling cheap Android phones out of bubble wrap at the Walmart checkout.

No, Apple has always been driven to make great products that make people's lives better.   Right now, the IPad is hobbled by its lack of functionality in the work place and even in school because its just not good at things you do in those environments.   It's great for games, media, web browsing and FaceBook and, using the Pro, it's also good for artists.   But, it needs a cursor and a file system to effectively challenge the laptops in the workplace. 

There are ideologues who shout (no, SCREAM!)  that a tablet should only ever be a tablet and a laptop only ever be a laptop.   This survey -- or rather Microsoft -- proved them wrong. 
    ... As Daniel Eran said:  "Let's see how Apple responds in the next few years."
    FolioFolio
  • Reply 26 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Not having touched a Surface Pro I'm curious, has Flash been banished the same way it has been from iOS?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    danvm said:

There's nothing innovative about the surface, mobile or desktop. Sorry but a big touch PC has been done before. ultra micro niche of some illustrator types maybe, but i doubt i'll ever see a single single one in the wild. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Never tried a Surface Pro either. But this Surface hybrid I guess is more formidable than I realized. One thing stood out in flawed survey: People buying the Surface for word processing, unlike the iPads. Uncertain what percentage new to MS Office ecosystem.  But in the best scenario ahead for Apple, its newest iPad will lure more of the price-sensitive crowd. Not only in U.S. schools. For China and India might emphasize word processing abilities, tablet as supplement to mobile phone.

• Reply 29 of 32
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    danvm said:

There's nothing innovative about the surface, mobile or desktop. Sorry but a big touch PC has been done before. ultra micro niche of some illustrator types maybe, but i doubt i'll ever see a single single one in the wild. 
    Sometimes innovation has to do with make something better.  As an example, there were music players and smartphones before the iPad and iPhone, but Apple just made them better by innovating and expanding their capabilities.  That is exactly what MS did with the Surface line, every year they innovate, made them better and expanded their capabilities. 

And now looks like people are pleased with their 2-in-1/hybrid devices, something Apple think wasn't possible (at least based in the article I posted before). 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 32

I love the direction Microsoft is taking - ensuring that its software is available on all platforms.

The moment they bring out SQL Server for the Mac and true Visual Studio for the Mac, I'm going to bin my Surface Pro 3 and go back to an MBP.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Folio said:
    Never tried a Surface Pro either. But this Surface hybrid I guess is more formidable than I realized. One thing stood out in flawed survey: People buying the Surface for word processing, unlike the iPads. Uncertain what percentage new to MS Office ecosystem.  But in the best scenario ahead for Apple, its newest iPad will lure more of the price-sensitive crowd. Not only in U.S. schools. For China and India might emphasize word processing abilities, tablet as supplement to mobile phone.

Ummm?   The tablet form factor, regardless of its maker or OS sucks as a word processor.   You need an external keyboard and cursor -- which makes it the dreaded, feared and hated "hybrid".
  • Reply 32 of 32
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

Sometimes innovation has to do with make something better.  As an example, there were music players and smartphones before the iPad and iPhone, but Apple just made them better by innovating and expanding their capabilities.  That is exactly what MS did with the Surface line, every year they innovate, made them better and expanded their capabilities. 

And now looks like people are pleased with their 2-in-1/hybrid devices, something Apple think wasn't possible (at least based in the article I posted before). 
    Well, sort of...
    Apple did (correctly) say that a touch screen PC kind of sucked.   And, everybody has taken that to mean that all "hybrids" suck.
    But Apple, to the best of my knowledge, has never said that a tablet could not serve dual purposes as a tablet or a notebook.  In fact, kind of the opposite as they position the IPad Pro as a notebook competitor...  Currently they keep it contained by not giving it a mouse/touchpad controlled cursor (currently its Jobs' much hated 'Stylus') or a file system.   But, for Apple, those deficiencies are readily corrected...

I think the group most opposed to a "hybrid" IPad are MacBook devotees....
    ... They know that Apple's #1 competitor is ...  Apple.