Jay Z pulls albums from Apple Music and Spotify

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jcs2305 said:
    sflocal said:
    Is Mr. Beyonce even relevant anymore?
    Was he ever?
    You both sound extremely ignorant. Don't like the genre I get it ... But to try and be snarky and bash his relevancy is ridiculous. Mr Beyonce as you put it sflocal has a net worth of $610 million vs Beyonce's $265 million respectively. Usually when a man is identified by his wife's name that means she's the bread winner. I would use Nick Cannon when he was married Mariah as an example. Yes he's doing ok with a tv show, but nothing compared to Mariah. 

Jay Z makes multiple cameos on other people's albums every year.  With a possible world tour  this year. His last album was released a little less then four years ago and it went platinum on day one and has since been certified double platinum. In this day and age of streaming and torrent sharing that's pretty impressive. 

If you think he won't sell out every venue because of "relevancy" you would be sadly mistaken. That's like young kids trying to tell me Pearl Jam are no longer relevant.. yet every tour , every venue, in every country they sell out in minutes when a tour is announced and tickets go on sale.   If that isn't relevancy than I am not sure what it actually means...Same goes for Jay Z. 

He has made some of the most influential albums in hip hop and rap and that can't be denied. Just because you don't know his music or like him doesn't change that fact. 

I am not even a big fan of his at all but when I read this kind of crap on here I feel the need to say something. 
    I don't dispute he's a successful businessman, it's just that his product is complete garbage.
    What about Tidal is garbage?
    spice-boy
  • Reply 42 of 66
    cali said:
    voodooru said:
    the crapple apologists are out in full force. not surprised 

None of you clowns make a living from
    music. So you truly don't understand. 

Apple Music pays the most.

"crapple", let me guess, the 12 year old hates Apple while typing on an Apple knockoff device. 
    why are so obsessed with knockoff and copying? Were you the same before 2007? Why don't you consider every cars out there a knockoff of Fords and hate them for being a knockoff. i think you need to move on from the mindset of 'hate knockoff'. Heck, u shouldn't even consider all non Apple smartphones a iknockoff because you know, even your beloved brand Apple has moved on. If Apple Music was out there before other streaming services, you would have called Spotify, Tidal a knock off product. However, the same didn't apply on Apple Music. 

And I copied my own comment to reply u on 2 different articles. Hope I won't be considered as a copier lol. 

-Typing on my Jet Black 7 Plus 256GB
    Solibrucemc
  • Reply 43 of 66
    Thanks for freeing up some valuable server space Z.  Much obliged.
    baconstang
  • Reply 44 of 66
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    [...]
    I don't dispute he's a successful businessman, it's just that his product is complete garbage.
    You should listen to this song:

It's off The Grey Album (which is a mashup of Jay-Z's black album and The Beatle's White Album). Mostly just because it's hard to find the originals from the Black Album on youtube in decent quality. It explains a lot about his music. I'll clip the lyrics since I'm not sure whether or not people will bother listening. Emphasis is added by me.

The music business hate me 'cause the industry ain't make me
    Hustlers and boosters embrace me and the music I be making
    I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars
    They criticize me for it yet they all yell "Holla"
    If skills sold truth be told
    I'd probably be lyrically Talib Kweli
    Truthfully I want to rhyme like Common Sense (But I did five Mil)
    I ain't been rhyming like Common since
    When your sense got that much in common
    And you been hustling since your inception, fuck perception
    Go with what makes sense
    Since I know what I'm up against
    We as rappers must decide what's most important
    And I can't help the poor if I'm one of them
    So I got rich and gave back to me that's the win, win
    The next time you see the homie and his rims spin
    Just know my mind is working just like them (The rims that is)
    This was from what, at the time, was supposed to be his last album. He's not a dumb dude, he knows exactly what he's doing. And if you want an example of what he's talking about in that song may actually sound like, listen to this (off the same album):

edited April 2017 Soli
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    spice-boy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    On this site any rejection or snub of Apple will get the burning crosses out. 
    Please go back to MacRumors where trolls live and breed.
    Oh please, you see the same "supremacist" comments every time there's article about a person of color, Cook's very public support for LBGT(Q) persons or a female in high management. The same commenters feel insecure and or threatened when people that they can't see as equals succeed. Jay Z is where he is because he has made the right moves throughout his career yet because he is looking beyond Apple some people here take this as a huge insult as if he would be nowhere without Apple. 

Ridiculous. You're trying to link racism to fanboyism to score points against Apple. There are two arguments here:
    People who say that Jay-Z is making a move to save Tidal – something that may backfire and lead to piracy of his music. (And who said he'd be nowhere without Apple?)
    Others who hate Jay-Z and his wife because they're black and successful.

It seems that his music is still available for purchase on iTunes and other music stores, so I'm guessing that he's made this move so that people will buy his music rather than stream it.

• Reply 46 of 66
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Successful businesses need unique products and services; artist & content exclusivity is an important differentiator in the audio (and video) streaming business. Sprint and the artist owners of Tidal must believe that customers are willing to move from other services to Tidal specifically for this content. I personally don't know the market size of JayZs influence and how many of his followers are Apple Music subscribers, but if it's large and if other artists follow his lead, than this is not positive for Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    StukeyStukey Posts: 12member
    Good for him.  AM is better without his music.  I doubt it made a "blip" on Apple's Apple Music radar.
    baconstangSpamSandwich
  • Reply 48 of 66
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Rayz2016 said:
    spice-boy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    Oh please, you see the same "supremacist" comments every time there's article about a person of color, Cook's very public support for LBGT(Q) persons or a female in high management. The same commenters feel insecure and or threatened when people that they can't see as equals succeed. Jay Z is where he is because he has made the right moves throughout his career yet because he is looking beyond Apple some people here take this as a huge insult as if he would be nowhere without Apple. 

Ridiculous. You're trying to link racism to fanboyism to score points against Apple. There are two arguments here:
    People who say that Jay-Z is making a move to save Tidal – something that may backfire and lead to piracy of his music. (And who said he'd be nowhere without Apple?)

It seems that his music is still available for purchase on iTunes and other music stores, so I'm guessing that he's made this move so that people will buy his music rather than stream it.

I'm not linking "racism to fanboyism" but there are often some racist comments on this site whenever there is a story about a non-white person's success within Apple or in this case a major music businessman's' move from Apples' business model. It's good to feel passion about something but not when it's hate. 
    Soli
  • Reply 49 of 66
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Easy, easy, people. It is just business as usual. The man is not hurting for money and his business doesn't seem to be doing that bad. Business moves are made everyday, this is just one of them. Things will continue to flow and the world will continue to rotate. Is ok. 
    Solibaconstang
  • Reply 50 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spice-boy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    spice-boy said:
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:

I'm not linking "racism to fanboyism" but there are often some racist comments on this site whenever there is a story about a non-white person's success within Apple or in this case a major music businessman's' move from Apples' business model. It's good to feel passion about something but not when it's hate. 
    AI removed the most egregious comments from this thread.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    cambocambo Posts: 38member
    The world will be a better place when he and his horrible wife are irrelevant and forgotten. 
    Here, here. An insult to music and musicians everywhere. Piles and piles of stolen, regurgitated crap made by other people.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 52 of 66

I think it was someone from The Who (I could be mistaken) who said that Rock music has lost relevance as far as social commentary was concerned and that Rap music was a lot more socially relevant.

I do not listen to Rap so I can't comment on Jay-Z's output. However, I think it is a very risky gamble - pulling his music from all non-Tidal services. What numbers does he expect to draw into Tidal by ensuring his music is not available anywhere else?

Also, is it just streaming services he has withdrawn his music from, or all digital stores as well? Can I still buy his albums on the iTMS? If yes, then it really may not have much of an impact.

Soli
  • Reply 53 of 66
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    rob53 said:
    Same issues with Ultraviolet. I wouldn't complain if they included an iTunes redemption code bug they don't always do that. Too many artists just have to have their own way regardless of what customers want. 
    Oh, come on. 

I dislike the individual in question, and good riddance. However, I find it ludicrous that Ai readers may consider it perfectly OK when Apple removes support from Workflow for the competition's offerings (e.g., Google), or kicks products out of the App Store because they were bought over by the competition, but go "artists have to have their own way, scandalousness!" when people do it to Apple.

This is business. Companies (and artists) do whatever they deem best for them, whether Jay-Z or Apple or Nokia/Withings or whoever else. We, the customer, get to show our appreciation by using our wallet, or abstaining.
    Soli
  • Reply 54 of 66
    I got 99 problems but Jay Z taking his music off Spotify ain't one
  • Reply 55 of 66
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Jay Z gone from Apple Music?   That's fine by me...
    Hopefully it will end Apple Music's fixation with Rap -- and they will stop putting that garbage in my "New Music Mix".  I mean, why would they put rap in a "new MUSIC mix"?   It ain't music.   It's:   thump, thump, FU;  thump, thump FU;  thump, thump FU.....
  • Reply 56 of 66
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Wow, this topic has brought out both the overt and latent racism here. Examine your reactions. I may not be a JayZ fan, but do like some Hip Hop. I also know that among such artists, JayZ is someone for others in the genre to emulate. No gangsta behavior, stable family man, good citizen. Give the guy a break. 
    Soli
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Came in expecting to see AI's overwhelmingly white middle-aged male population tell us how irrelevant Jay Z and Beyonce are, was not disappointed.
    robin huberspice-boyjSnivelySoli
  • Reply 58 of 66
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Jay Z gone from Apple Music?   That's fine by me...
    Hopefully it will end Apple Music's fixation with Rap -- and they will stop putting that garbage in my "New Music Mix".  I mean, why would they put rap in a "new MUSIC mix"?   It ain't music.   It's:   thump, thump, FU;  thump, thump FU;  thump, thump FU.....
    . . . and you kids get off my lawn!
  • Reply 59 of 66
    Who really cares, It's all crap anyway!
  • Reply 60 of 66
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Came in expecting to see AI's overwhelmingly white middle-aged male population tell us how irrelevant Jay Z and Beyonce are, was not disappointed.

🤣

QFT.