Rumor: iPad Pro Smart Connector included on 'iPhone 8,' to be used for AR, charging

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    mac_128 said:
    wood1208 said:
    mac_128 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Wish Apple kept female part of lightening on cable side and male connector inside iphone's port like iphone 4/4S and USB(Type-C, MicroUSB,etc). Instead, when Apple introduced lightening in iphone 5, Apple reversed the placement(male connector on cable side adapter and female inside lightening port). Overtime, lint/dust get collected inside iphone's port blocking female connector pins creating charging issues. By moving to smart connector, Apple can solve this. Other scenarios is reverse lightening male/female orientation or move to USB Type-C.
    No Apple did it the right way. What happens when that little tab breaks off the USB-C connector? USB-C still has a female component that will also collect stuff, preventing a plug from making a good connection. At least the female Lightning connector can be easily cleaned out -- cleaning out a USB-C port might just result in breaking that tab off.
    You got point but since casing of cable adapter guides insertion inside the port, can it be possible to break the tab inside port ? unless you wiggle so hard but still casing would not let it move. If male tab inside port breaks easily than this problem would have shown up in phones with micro-usb and USB Type-C. Moreover, when female connector on cable side get clogged, you simply replace cable(cheap solution) but if female connector inside lightening port get clogged than changing cable doesn't help and you can't easily replace the port on iphone other than gently clean it without damaging pins. After cleaning port, charging problem temporarily get solved. There are many threads with intermitant charging complains and how to clean/fix it. So, there is clear advantage of having female connector on cable side and not on phone's port side. Macbook and Macbook pro moving to USB Type-C with female connector on cable side.
    You're seriously telling me that having a deep thin channel all around a middle plastic tab, is preferred to a single open hole? I don't even want to think about the debris that is going to get pushed down into this port over time, that cannot be easily cleaned out -- unlike the Lightning port, for which a paperclip would suffice; I'm not even sure a paper clip would fit into the channel around the USB-C plastic tab, which also runs the risk of breaking that tab off if too much leverage is applied trying to dislodge something.

I was told by someone wearing a blue t-shirt, that may have had a white fruit logo,  that the best thing to use is plastic cotton bud cut at a angle to clean out the lightening socket. Don't use metal it can short pins.
  • Reply 22 of 25

I agree with the part of the article that says that VR/AR will require a rather more substantial connection than this.  I also don't believe that Apple is going to abandon the lightning port any time soon.

And that's not what "begs the question" means.

• Reply 23 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mattinoz said:
    mac_128 said:
    wood1208 said:
    mac_128 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Wish Apple kept female part of lightening on cable side and male connector inside iphone's port like iphone 4/4S and USB(Type-C, MicroUSB,etc). Instead, when Apple introduced lightening in iphone 5, Apple reversed the placement(male connector on cable side adapter and female inside lightening port). Overtime, lint/dust get collected inside iphone's port blocking female connector pins creating charging issues. By moving to smart connector, Apple can solve this. Other scenarios is reverse lightening male/female orientation or move to USB Type-C.
    No Apple did it the right way. What happens when that little tab breaks off the USB-C connector? USB-C still has a female component that will also collect stuff, preventing a plug from making a good connection. At least the female Lightning connector can be easily cleaned out -- cleaning out a USB-C port might just result in breaking that tab off.
    You got point but since casing of cable adapter guides insertion inside the port, can it be possible to break the tab inside port ? unless you wiggle so hard but still casing would not let it move. If male tab inside port breaks easily than this problem would have shown up in phones with micro-usb and USB Type-C. Moreover, when female connector on cable side get clogged, you simply replace cable(cheap solution) but if female connector inside lightening port get clogged than changing cable doesn't help and you can't easily replace the port on iphone other than gently clean it without damaging pins. After cleaning port, charging problem temporarily get solved. There are many threads with intermitant charging complains and how to clean/fix it. So, there is clear advantage of having female connector on cable side and not on phone's port side. Macbook and Macbook pro moving to USB Type-C with female connector on cable side.
    You're seriously telling me that having a deep thin channel all around a middle plastic tab, is preferred to a single open hole? I don't even want to think about the debris that is going to get pushed down into this port over time, that cannot be easily cleaned out -- unlike the Lightning port, for which a paperclip would suffice; I'm not even sure a paper clip would fit into the channel around the USB-C plastic tab, which also runs the risk of breaking that tab off if too much leverage is applied trying to dislodge something.

I was told by someone wearing a blue t-shirt, that may have had a white fruit logo,  that the best thing to use is plastic cotton bud cut at a angle to clean out the lightening socket. Don't use metal it can short pins.
    I'm sure that person has a valid point. However, good luck getting that same cotton swab into the USB-C socket, or really anything else that doesn't cram the debris one is trying to remove further into the socket, or risk breaking the plastic tab trying.
  • Reply 24 of 25

And that's not what "begs the question" means.

I wrote to an advertiser about a commercial that used the phrase "begs the question" to mean "leads one to ask." I got a reply, but instead of saying, "Whoops, thanks. We'll fix it!" or even "Well, the commercial is airing now so we'll have to live with it." the rep chose to defend the error with the tired old "colloquial" argument.

Making a mistake isn't stupid, but willfully rejecting correction may be.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 25 of 25
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mac_128 said:
    wood1208 said:
    mac_128 said:
    wood1208 said:

Great point.
    But I still wish to have USB-C so that my iPhone could be changed with any of the cables for these devices I own: MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro
    I don’t want to have more cables in my apartment to change 2 people’s iPhones.
    I want that convenience. 
    Maybe there is just less dust in the area where I live...