Lincoln debuts 2018 Navigator with support for Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Ford-owned Lincoln on Wednesday revealed the 2018 Navigator, which will support both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto through Ford's SYNC 3 interface.

Drivers will be able to control both platforms from a large dash-mounted touchscreen, Lincoln said. Wi-Fi will come standard on the luxury SUV, and options packages will include things like wireless charging, plus a rear-seat entertainment system with 10-inch screens.

On equipped vehicles, rear passengers will be able to watch videos via HDMI, USB, SD card, or less direct methods such as Slingbox or a wireless Android device. Yet another alternative, SYNC AppLink, will let people in the front seats dictate video.

Lincoln didn't offer any other details on CarPlay integration, such as wireless compatibility. While CarPlay technically allows for wireless connections, real-world support is still exceedingly rare.

Similarly the automaker has yet to announce pricing, or even when the SUV will become available.

Lincoln already supports CarPlay on seven 2017 models, namely the Navigator, Continental, MKC, MKS, MKT, MKX, and MKZ. That pales in comparison with its parent company, which offers the platform on 15 models, among them affordable vehicles like the Fiesta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I'm not a Ford/Lincoln buyer, but I'm glad to see Lincoln getting some of their mojo back. The new Continental and Navigator are significant steps in the right direction to bring Lincoln back in line with unique style and luxury. The last couple of decades for Lincoln were full of boring designs; recognizable, but odd grille textures and shapes; and too much badge engineering.
    boltsfan17
  • Reply 2 of 5
    toonamiketoonamike Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    First off, Lincoln no longer makes the MKS; 2016 was its last year.

Secondly, the author states that Lincoln "pales in comparison" to Ford. Lincoln has six 2017 models. Each supports CarPlay via SYNC 3. That's 100% adoption rate.

Ford offers approximately 20 different vehicles up through its commercial truck line. If 15 ford vehicles support CarPlay, that puts the blue oval team at 75% adoption of CarPlay, a percent that actually pales to Lincoln's.

Naturally, Ford will have a larger raw number, as it has a much broader product line. Also, Lincoln vehicles are built on corresponding Ford platforms. Those platforms likely share SYNC 3.

One would expect all Lincoln vehicles to support CarPlay, as it is a luxury brand.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    toonamike said:

One would expect all Lincoln vehicles to support CarPlay, as it is a luxury brand.
    One might expect the same from Acura being to Honda as Lincoln is to Ford, but they have only one current model with CarPlay - the $156,000 NSX.
    Honda, on the other hand, has five current models with CarPlay - the Accord, Civic, Ridgeline, CR-V, and Pilot.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    How does that "pale in comparison?" Lincoln only have seven vehicles, so that's 100%.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    There isn't a Ford, GM/Chevy, Chrysler/Dodge, Lincoln, whatever of the old guard vehicle I would ever buy or drive even if someone gave me one. CarPlay isn't what decides which brand of car I buy.