Apple wins California DMV permit for testing self-driving car, could put tech on public ro...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    flootist said:
    Very much agreed. It's still science fiction, don't look for fully-autonomous cars anytime soon. 
    You are wrong. Singapore has driverless taxis.

This technology is already rolling out in other places in the world. California and the USA is not the leader.

In the same way, California is still fumbling about trying to get High Speed Rail going and quite a few Internet commenters seem to think this is some groundbreaking project. Nope, Japan started 120mph bullet train service in 1965, over five decades ago.
    StrangeDaysirelandtyler82
  • Reply 22 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    spice-boy said:

Anyone else see possible problems ahead?
    Similar concern was made when cars began hitting the roads -- previously streets were for people and horses, and these crazy-ass cars were fast and dangerous and incompatible with that. World adapted.
    edited April 2017 mdriftmeyerpscooter63afrodri
  • Reply 23 of 53
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    spice-boy said:
    Imagine a world of hacked cars. Think of all the personal information one of these vehicles could contain. Would passengers involved in accidents with other self-driving cars be able to sue the Apple or other maker? What would insurance rates be like, higher or lower? 

Totally, but security is where the puck will be.  I hope that's where Apple is skating to.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Should just assume they're working on software solutions at this point, IMO.
    That would be brain dead. Apple controls the ecosystem; and that includes the vehicle(s).
    Yeah, Apple's NOT becoming a mere supplier. Only times they do it is when its an interface to their existing product (like Carplay).
  • Reply 25 of 53
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I've been waiting to buy an Apple car for years, in the hopes that the interface would be smart. So I could say things like "roll down my window by 20%" (which would let me keep my hands on the steering wheel) and "how much gas mileage did I get this week?" Etc. Oh, and I'm hoping that Apple will include self inflating tires, not just pressure monitoring. That would be a huge safety innovation. However it's taking too long and I'm likely to buy a low cost car in the meantime as a temporary measure.
    I recommend that you wait for the second generation model as it will be waterproof.  /s
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 26 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you think Apple are not heavily invested in and fully set on building a top-to-bottom vehicle you are out of your mind. It's very easy to leak misleading information on this—simple. They want to build a car. Building an electric car from scratch with technology for the future climate is not easy. Cars of the future that don't have al least a self-driving option will be viewed by the public as dumb and old fashioned. It will be a prerequisite for producing a car. And you need the car too and every little thing it contains. You don't hire this many car engineers if you're not committed to producing a car. Leaked stories at this point are worth the newspaper they are printed on. 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 27 of 53
    cferrycferry Posts: 26member
    If Apple wants to produce an Apple-branded car, there is no reason to gear up and build it themselves, just as there is no reason they should assemble their own phones. That is not Apple's field of expertise and would be a huge learning curve, a distraction and could delay the introduction of the car for years.
    I can't think of a better partner to manufacture a car to Apple's specifications than Magna International, in terms of corporate culture, expertise and innovation that would be a great match. If Magna is good enough to supply advanced electronics to Maserati and build Minis and 5-Series cars for BMW, it could probably meet Apple's standards with production lines in several plants around the world.

http://www.magna.com/

patchythepirate
  • Reply 28 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    ireland said:
    If you think Apple are not heavily invested in and fully set on building a top-to-bottom vehicle you are out of your mind. It's very easy to leak misleading information on this—simple. They want to build a car. Building an electric car from scratch with technology for the future climate is not easy. Cars of the future that don't have al least a self-driving option will be viewed by the public as dumb and old fashioned. It will be a prerequisite for producing a car. And you need the car too and every little thing it contains. You don't hire this many car engineers if you're not committed to producing a car. Leaked stories at this point are worth the newspaper they are printed on. 
    I hope they have a few designers as well! Leave it to engineers and we'll see them releasing something as bad as the mock up AI keeps using on every story. 
  • Reply 29 of 53
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    spice-boy said:
    Imagine a world of hacked cars. Think of all the personal information one of these vehicles could contain. Would passengers involved in accidents with other self-driving cars be able to sue the Apple or other maker? What would insurance rates be like, higher or lower? 

Tons.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    mpantone said:
    flootist said:
    Very much agreed. It's still science fiction, don't look for fully-autonomous cars anytime soon. 

This technology is already rolling out in other places in the world. California and the USA is not the leader.

In the same way, California is still fumbling about trying to get High Speed Rail going and quite a few Internet commenters seem to think this is some groundbreaking project. Nope, Japan started 120mph bullet train service in 1965, over five decades ago.
    Is the Singapore driverless taxi out of testing yet?
  • Reply 31 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    mpantone said:
    flootist said:

The US would be thee leader in high speed rails if not for Eisenhower and his asinine highway system allowing the Big 3 to buy out 1700 rail lines, decommission them and screw the nation over to boot, while we foot the bill for their roadways.

The US technology, including Maglev, would have been here long ago. Japan chose for obvious reason: > 150 million people on an island is a disaster in the making w/o mass transit. Same with Ireland, England, etc. We are going to have to invest in actual real infrastructure to the tune of $8-$10 Trillion over the next 10 years or accept that even our roads will become unusable.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of freeloading Conservatives that don't want to pay more taxes to get it done, yet have no problem watching trillions go to blow crap up.
    montrosemacs1stiqatedok2kw
  • Reply 32 of 53
    spice-boy said:

Similar concern was made when cars began hitting the roads -- previously streets were for people and horses, and these crazy-ass cars were fast and dangerous and incompatible with that. World adapted.
    This is far more complex than that, and there was a LOT of trouble before the regulation made automobiles sane to use.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    I bought aa Tesla Model X. Delivered with air conditioner not working on a 92 degree day, blind spot sensor not working and front seats wrinkled ( being replaced). But worst part was poor range. About 60% of 238 miles supposedly to get on full charge. Apparently the way I drive and hills where I live. Still 60%. And that is being generous. The range anxiety is the problem in electric cars for me. Probably most folks If honest.
    irelandpscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cferry said:
    If Apple wants to produce an Apple-branded car, there is no reason to gear up and build it themselves, just as there is no reason they should assemble their own phones. That is not Apple's field of expertise and would be a huge learning curve, a distraction and could delay the introduction of the car for years.
    I can't think of a better partner to manufacture a car to Apple's specifications than Magna International, in terms of corporate culture, expertise and innovation that would be a great match. If Magna is good enough to supply advanced electronics to Maserati and build Minis and 5-Series cars for BMW, it could probably meet Apple's standards with production lines in several plants around the world.

http://www.magna.com/

Yeah, but they still need to test it and design the whole thing, including figuring out the best way to manufacture. Also, Apple heavily invests in the manufacturing of their main suppliers so Magna would have to have tight relationship with Apple for this to happen. It could.

Apple is not going to built a plant.. What would be the point of that. That's old tech mostly.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    We'll know if Apple is building a car long before it's released to the public. They have to test on normal roads for a multitude of test before it's put in production. No car manufacturer is able to hide a car from the public and all of a sudden say here it is, buy it. People make a living off of getting pictures of cars being tested all the time. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 36 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    mpantone said:
    flootist said:

I might add that California's high speed rail project, if ever built, will be the slowest "high speed" train in the world. Yes, slower than trains built decades ago.

USA? USA? USA?
  • Reply 37 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    tyler82 said:
    mpantone said:
    flootist said:

I might add that California's high speed rail project, if ever built, will be the slowest "high speed" train in the world. Yes, slower than trains built decades ago.

USA? USA? USA?
    It's already being built and no, it's not capped like Amtrak at 75mph.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/High-speed-rail-taking-shape-even-as-opponents-10926131.php#photo-12297351

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-ol-le-bullet-train-costs-20170122-story.html

• Reply 38 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    tyler82 said:
    mpantone said:
    flootist said:

USA? USA? USA?
    It's already being built and no, it's not capped like Amtrak at 75mph.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/High-speed-rail-taking-shape-even-as-opponents-10926131.php#photo-12297351

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-ol-le-bullet-train-costs-20170122-story.html

Being built != built
  • Reply 39 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Wake me up when Apple finish designing a steering wheel. Now, let me enjoy the Tesla MOdel X P100D.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Apple should just buy Tesla. They have cash and they would get a lot in return!