Apple wins California DMV permit for testing self-driving car, could put tech on public ro...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    jume said:
    Apple should just buy Tesla. They have cash and they would get a lot in return!
    Groan... here we go again...
  • Reply 42 of 53
    fallenjt said:
    Wake me up when Apple finish designing a steering wheel. Now, let me enjoy the Tesla MOdel X P100D.
    Has to be one of the saddest, ugliest looking vehicles out there. I'd be embarrrased to drive one. 
  • Reply 43 of 53
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    tyler82 said:
    tyler82 said:
    mpantone said:
    flootist said:
    Very much agreed. It's still science fiction, don't look for fully-autonomous cars anytime soon. 
    You are wrong. Singapore has driverless taxis.

This technology is already rolling out in other places in the world. California and the USA is not the leader.

In the same way, California is still fumbling about trying to get High Speed Rail going and quite a few Internet commenters seem to think this is some groundbreaking project. Nope, Japan started 120mph bullet train service in 1965, over five decades ago.
    I might add that California's high speed rail project, if ever built, will be the slowest "high speed" train in the world. Yes, slower than trains built decades ago.

USA? USA? USA?
    It's already being built and no, it's not capped like Amtrak at 75mph.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/High-speed-rail-taking-shape-even-as-opponents-10926131.php#photo-12297351

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-ol-le-bullet-train-costs-20170122-story.html

Being built != built
    If (and that's a big IF) and when the California HSR's Phase 1 segment (Anaheim to San Francisco) is completed and running at its maximum 220 mph speed, Japan's JR Central will have commercial maglev Chuo Shinkansen service between Tokyo and Nagoya running at 314 mph (maximum).

220 mph is not a speed that has been sustained by commercial HSR around the world in the past twenty years. Most of the fastest HSR lines currently travel in the 190-200 mph range.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I am an Apple fan boy, but…
    Just air your grievance and let it stand on its own merit. My old thread has been deleted but all this does is throw your comments into instant suspect.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    MacPro said:
    foggyhill said:
    You really have no clue what California looks like huh? 
    California has the most diverse driving conditions of the whole US, high humidity is probably the only checkmark it can't do.
    Snow, check, tall mountains check, very raining condition (far north) check, desert check, heat check, cold check, high traffic check, pedestrians heavy places (San-Francisco and central parts of LA) check, high altitude check, winding roads as fuck, check, most insane freeways ever, check, very high speed roads, check.
    All of this is a very compact space.
    It's the ideal place to test a self driving car.

Its coming way way way faster than you think. Right now, the obstacle in many situations are more regulatory than technical.

You missed a couple ;).  Last time I drove the coastal route from San Francisco to San Diego which I've done quite a few times,  I got rerouted around earthquake damage in several places and coastal erosion.  Otherwise one of the most beautiful drives I know of.
    All very good but you don't have potholes like we do in the North East. That's the only reason I can think that Tesla (designed and manufactured in California) has neither a spare wheel nor run-flat tires. When the salesman told me that if you get a flat, you should call Tesla, and they will sent a flat-bed tow-truck to pick up the car, I turned around and walked out of the dealership.

I'm not convinced that "designed and tested" in California works for the rest of the country when it comes to cars.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 46 of 53
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tyler82 said:
    mpantone said:
    flootist said:
    Very much agreed. It's still science fiction, don't look for fully-autonomous cars anytime soon. 
    You are wrong. Singapore has driverless taxis.

This technology is already rolling out in other places in the world. California and the USA is not the leader.

In the same way, California is still fumbling about trying to get High Speed Rail going and quite a few Internet commenters seem to think this is some groundbreaking project. Nope, Japan started 120mph bullet train service in 1965, over five decades ago.
    I might add that California's high speed rail project, if ever built, will be the slowest "high speed" train in the world. Yes, slower than trains built decades ago.

USA? USA? USA?
    It's already being built and no, it's not capped like Amtrak at 75mph.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/High-speed-rail-taking-shape-even-as-opponents-10926131.php#photo-12297351

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-ol-le-bullet-train-costs-20170122-story.html

Thanks for the links.   good links.   I didn't think that HSR was moving forward.   Obama and the Democrats made a big mistake in divvying up the money from to Stimulus to to many projects And not focusing in on one or two rail projects.   America needs to build on or two of these in critical areas where it will really be faster than driving or flying (with the time going through security).   And HSR really needs to run at at least 150 MPH.   Accela is not high speed.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    marktime said:
    I'm not convinced that "designed and tested" in California works for the rest of the country when it comes to cars.
    I've heard they're shit in winter, too; the cold messes with the batteries.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jume said:

Apple's missed that train for buying Telsa.     Tesla will be releasing the model 3 in July and will have their Truck out before Apple releases their first vehicle.   Tesla will probably be on Auto Pilot 3.0 system before Apple is out with their first car or system.  So far it looks like Apple is behind everyone.   Hate to image Apple Maps navigating me anywhere and outside of the US it will be even worse.

For all the talk about Apple designing a system they don't seemed to have taken steps to begin to acquire the large amounts of batteries that they would need to create an electric car.  That leaves at best a hybrid car  from Apple

There doesn't appear to be any signs of building out a recharging infrastructure.   Tesla will have their recharging network down (upgraded) to 10 minutes before Apple has their network built.   The Tesla is the only one selling an electric car where you can effectively and easily drive across the country because of the network.    Otherwise you are limited to a daily commuter. 

Project Titan is a too late money hole.    This is why Apple was so surprised by how Mac users were reacting to the sorry state of the Mac Pro.   This is why there is will be no competitor for the ECHO.  I'll begin to think that apple is ramping up for an auto when SIRI works 98% of the time for me and lots of other frustrated users and when SIRI can do even simple things when in Airplane mode.

• Reply 49 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    k2kw said:
    jume said:

Apple's missed that train for buying Telsa.     Tesla will be releasing the model 3 in July and will have their Truck out before Apple releases their first vehicle.   Tesla will probably be on Auto Pilot 3.0 system before Apple is out with their first car or system.  So far it looks like Apple is behind everyone.   Hate to image Apple Maps navigating me anywhere and outside of the US it will be even worse.

For all the talk about Apple designing a system they don't seemed to have taken steps to begin to acquire the large amounts of batteries that they would need to create an electric car.  That leaves at best a hybrid car  from Apple

There doesn't appear to be any signs of building out a recharging infrastructure.   Tesla will have their recharging network down (upgraded) to 10 minutes before Apple has their network built.   The Tesla is the only one selling an electric car where you can effectively and easily drive across the country because of the network.    Otherwise you are limited to a daily commuter. 

Project Titan is a too late money hole.    This is why Apple was so surprised by how Mac users were reacting to the sorry state of the Mac Pro.   This is why there is will be no competitor for the ECHO.  I'll begin to think that apple is ramping up for an auto when SIRI works 98% of the time for me and lots of other frustrated users and when SIRI can do even simple things when in Airplane mode.

Blah blah blah blah, same crap we heard in 2001, 2007.... Considering Tesla's going to get their ass kicked eventually by the other auto maker, you are really funny.

The god damn watch almost makes as much profits Google... Think of that.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 50 of 53
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I am an Apple fan boy, but have been disappointed with Siri's progress. Google hears me 99.9% of the times. Siri, about 85%. Autonomous cars can't have that level of confidence. Integration with Philips hue is patchy. 
    Siri is terrible. Perhaps it is my ineptness but I cannot figure out how to tell Siri not to use the freeway with her directions. In LA at rush hour getting on the 405 or the 5 is not the way to go. Need surface streets only but Siri insists on using the freeways no matter how much you protest.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    k2kw said:
    I am an Apple fan boy, but have been disappointed with Siri's progress. Google hears me 99.9% of the times. Siri, about 85%. Autonomous cars can't have that level of confidence. Integration with Philips hue is patchy. 
    Siri is no more than 50% for me.    As much as I love iPad and iPhone I would run from an Apple car because of Siri and maps.   
    I sadly agree, many times I've uninstalled google maps to use apple's but I keep having to put it back on. Years on, apple maps still cannot find the location I want at least 50% of the time. When it DOES find a match, it's something named very similar in the USA and assumes I want to drive there, from Scotland! :| If I'm wanting driving directions, it should be automatically assumed that my destination is on the same continent at the very least. As for voice recognition, neither Siri, Alexa nor Google can decipher my Scottish accent, yet my SkyQ voice remote works 100% of the time surprisingly. So good that I use it all the time now, and I was always previously against voice control.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Please, for the love of god, never use that golden apple car mock up ever again... it is downright horrible and far from anything Apple would ever design.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Ugh....I bet this thing will have a proprietary gas cap/power plug....