In-browser Mac OS 7.0.1 emulation, compatible software suite arrives at the Internet Archi...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    It is not obvious but...

The page:
          https://archive.org/details/mac_MacOS_7.0.1_compilation
    has a big button in the middle of the image at the top of the page.

Click it and wait a few seconds for the emulator run in Safari. You'll probably get to the point where two mouse pointers (one is yours and the other is the emulator's) do not synchronize which makes it quite difficult to point at anything properly. Also, <command>+Q is not trapped and sent to the emulator so bye bye Safari not what you're running in the JS emulator!

Alternatively, following the instructions given at the link above (download the ISO files in the sidebar to the right) and follow the link in the original article (PCE emulator) allows one to compile a non-browser emulator. I did the instructed build and, when I ran the executable in a terminal, I got:

% pce-macplus -v -r
    pce-macplus version 20170208-df19414
    Copyright (C) 2007-2012 Hampa Hug <[email protected]>
    SYSTEM:   model=mac-plus
    *** RAM not found at 000000
    CPU:      model=68000 speed=0
    VIA:        addr=0xefe000 size=0x2000
    SCC:      addr=0x800000 size=0x400000
    RTC:      file=pram.dat realtime=1 start=<now> romdisk=0
    KEYBOARD: model=1 international=0 keypad=keypad
    IWM:      addr=0xd00000
    TERM:    driver=null ESC=ESC aspect=4/3 min_size=512*384 scale=1 mouse=[1/1 1/1]
    [000000] mac: reset
    pce-macplus: segmentation fault
    -68000------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CLK=109  OP=1a  DLY=8  CPI=10.5000
     SR=2704[-S]  CC=04[--Z--] EX=00(RSET) TRP=0000 IML=7 IPL=0
     D0=00000000  D4=00000000  A0=00000000  A4=00000000   PC=00000068
     D1=00000000  D5=00000000  A1=00000000  A5=00000000  LPC=00000064
     D2=00000000  D6=00000000  A2=00000000  A6=00000000  USP=00000000
     D3=00000000  D7=00000000  A3=00000000  A7=00000000  SSP=00000000
    00000068  0000 0000            ORI.B    #$00, D0

Most likely a problem with the provided runtime config file but I've not found much help online with getting past this issue ("*** RAM not found at 000000"). I'll post any further progress but might not have much time to investigate (sorry).
    edited April 2017 Jessee Michael
  • Reply 22 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    softeky said:
    It is not obvious but...

The page […] has a big button in the middle of the image at the top of the page.
    To me, that's the definition of obvious.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    I guess I can make my Mac SE into a real  fish tank now ...  ;)   My two G4s are staying though as I can run  System 9 and even early OS X beta.
    That will still let you connect to the internet via Ethernet, right? How modern of a web browser can you use?
    Do you mean the G4s?  If so in OS 9 yep it can connect and even to Apple updates (of course it says there are none)  but it is stuck with the Mac version of Internet Explorer and can display only gibberish on 99.99% of sites.    As nostalgia creeps in,  I had a network of Macs in the late 1980's early 1990's with TOPs  mail system for about thirty Macs linked across three  remote locations (different cities) using dedicated telephone lines.  It is amazing how long the internet has been with us, I was able to connect to a Disney 'site' on the internet from UK in 1982 using an Apple ][ and a modem, and it had colored images and information about Disney World and the new park EPCOT!  I flew over that year in December to visit EPCOT, the year it opened because of that experience on the net.  How time flies.
    edited April 2017 Soliwatto_cobrapscooter63edred
  • Reply 24 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    crimguy said:
    The mouse function didn't synchronize with my mouse, so I couldn't get it to mouse down to tap on the selection buttons... oh, well.
    Also, don't forget that in MacOS 7, menus weren't tap to pull down, they were hold to pull down, and release to select.
    Not the menu items. Sorry, I tried a few of the emulated games and the mouse was constrained to an invisible "box" within the screen that prevented me from clicking on buttons on the bottom of the games.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Oh, that’s right, System 7 (before 7.6.5, I think) is freely downloadable and usable. Nice piece of history here. I was going to comment on how it’s amazing that it’s possible to just emulate it like this, but then I remembered that I’ve been able to emulate Windows 95 on the first-gen iPad for years now, so it’s not that impressive.
    System 7.5.5 and earlier (with the odd exception of 7.1) were freely downloadable from Apple's archives at one point. Unfortunately, the server they were on has since been shut down, but there appears to be a mirror of it on none other than archive.org:

http://ia800501.us.archive.org/zipview.php?zip=/8/items/download.info.apple.com.2012.11/download.info.apple.com.2012.11.zip
    Actually...the files are still on Apple's FTP server, you just need to know the path. I've poked at TC a few times to see if we can't get them back, but I don't expect a response. 
  • Reply 26 of 48
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    I guess I can make my Mac SE into a real  fish tank now ...  ;)   My two G4s are staying though as I can run  System 9 and even early OS X beta.
    That will still let you connect to the internet via Ethernet, right? How modern of a web browser can you use?
    Do you mean the G4s?  If so in OS 9 yep it can connect and even to Apple updates (of course it says there are none)  but it is stuck with the Mac version of Internet Explorer and can display only gibberish on 99.99% of sites.    As nostalgia creeps in,  I had a network of Macs in the late 1980's early 1990's with TOPs  mail system for about thirty Macs linked across three  remote locations (different cities) using dedicated telephone lines.  It is amazing how long the internet has been with us, I was able to connect to a Disney 'site' on the internet from UK in 1982 using an Apple ][ and a modem, and it had colored images and information about Disney World and the new park EPCOT!  I flew over that year in December to visit EPCOT, the year it opened because of that experience on the net.  How time flies.

Look into Classilla. http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Oh, that’s right, System 7 (before 7.6.5, I think) is freely downloadable and usable. Nice piece of history here. I was going to comment on how it’s amazing that it’s possible to just emulate it like this, but then I remembered that I’ve been able to emulate Windows 95 on the first-gen iPad for years now, so it’s not that impressive.
    System 7.5.5 and earlier (with the odd exception of 7.1) were freely downloadable from Apple's archives at one point. Unfortunately, the server they were on has since been shut down, but there appears to be a mirror of it on none other than archive.org:

http://ia800501.us.archive.org/zipview.php?zip=/8/items/download.info.apple.com.2012.11/download.info.apple.com.2012.11.zip
    Actually...the files are still on Apple's FTP server, you just need to know the path. I've poked at TC a few times to see if we can't get them back, but I don't expect a response. 
    The path once you're on the FTP server, or the IP address to the FTP server?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

Even that has a last update of 2003. All this is making me feel old.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Man...ShufflePuck...!

I spent HOURS playing that game. What a flash-back!

And this reminds me how far computers have come... it runs faster in Safari than it did on my Mac SE, although not much different. I loved, loved, loved that little computer!
    JinTech
  • Reply 30 of 48
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Can it run Claris Works?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Other applications included are Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Works, Pagemaker, and an assortment of decompression utilities. Games incldued are Risk, Cannon Fodder, and Shufflepuck.
    Where's Gauntlet?!
  • Reply 32 of 48
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

Thanks.  :)
  • Reply 33 of 48

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

Your just a kid compared to many of us!  lol
  • Reply 34 of 48
    The thing I find most amazing is how modern System 7 feels to me. BBEdit lite 3.5 is in there. I popped it up and started writing some code. Sheesh, I feel like nothing has changed! Well, maybe a few things. ;) 
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Jessee MichaelJessee Michael Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    Does anyone remember Crystal Quest...? :)
    Absolutely! I even backed a kickstarter-type campaign to bring it back. Check it out here: http://gamemechanics.com/crystal-quest-classic-is-now-available-on-amazon/
  • Reply 36 of 48
    irnchriz said:
    It runs in safari on my iPad.  That's pretty impressive.
    That's one way to get access to the File System  :)
    Soli
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Leaving this here, without further comment.

http://macintoshgarden.org
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

I have a late 2005 Mac Mini along with a 2002 Powerbook Titanium. I am running Tiger on the mini and launch classic all the time. On the Powerbook, I boot into OS 9.2.2 relatively frequently. I would run OS 9 more, but the lack of USB2 support in OS 9 is a real drag. I even have a PCMCIA firewire 800 card that works in the machine. It is a very nice machine. 

I run Classila on both machines. I am certain that Classila has been updated much more recently than 2003. I believe version 9.3.3 was last updated in 2013. 

TenFourFox makes both machines usable on the web, even as old as the machines are. Given the rarity of the PPC processor, I do not worry at all about viruses or zero day exploits. The mini is hooked up into my home theater system, functioning as a music server and as a DVR. It even plays 5.1 surround with the Griffin Firewave. I Remote Desktop to the machine all the time from my Core i5 based iMac, but I am rather fond of these old G4 based machines. All of my home automation software is also located on the mini. I guess I don't trust the security of any Intel based machine whether running the Macintosh OS or not. 

While the G5 performs better, it is a very power hungry chip. As such, I am more than happy to remain on the G4. 

I still have an old digital audio G4 with a dual 1.6 GHz upgrade processor in it also along with the Radeon 9800 pro. It boots into OS 9 also. The machine takes up a lot of space and doesn't get used much. But I still hold onto it. 

I am quite fond of them. They are still quite functional. TenFourFox is much better overall and OS X much more stable than OS 9, but I am surprised by the functionality in Classila. 

• Reply 39 of 48

This is so retro...

Apple should support this.  If it runs in JavaScript -- think about how well it would run in Swift [even Swift Playgrounds] on an iPad (or Mac, or iPhone, or Apple Watch. or AppleTV).

Or even on an iPhone SE:

Original Mac:
    • 9-inch Display
    • 512-by-342 at 72 PPI

iPhone SE:  
    • 4‑inch Display
    • 1136‑by‑640‑pixel resolution at 326 ppi

I bet this would cause early Mac Developers to come out of the woodwork...

For example, on another forum, Dave Winer posted a comment on how to submit his early Mac apps to run on the browser emulates.

Sadly, I couldn't find (remember) the Font (I thing it was San Francisco) that you'd use when you wanted to write a ransom note.

• Reply 40 of 48

Then, there's this: