imac desk

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I remember someone asking about a cool desk for an imac. I can't find the thread it was in so I am posting a new one, sorry mods. anyway <a href="http://igo4mac.com/"; target="_blank">here</a> is the link. Hope some of you like it, but I am sure some will hate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I LOVE it! However $499 is a bit pricey... :eek:
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    How neat! I've been on a bit of an "iMac desk design" tear lately (since early December) and I've got 3 or 4 snazzy ideas and one of them looks almost exactly like that one: curved chrome supports, white/clear accents, keyboard/mouse tray, place to put an iPod or FireWire drive, meant to hold the LCD iMac (and the two speakers), the iSub down below, etc.

I'm impressed!

And inspired...

[rushes off to crank up Illustrator to try something out...]
  • Reply 3 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Would anyone actually want one of those for their desk? There's not much room for various crap thaat's usually around people's computers.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    i think it's way cool and yes way too expensive

but i would put it amidst "all my crap"
  • Reply 5 of 16
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Would anyone actually want one of those for their desk? There's not much room for various crap thaat's usually around people's computers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the whole idea... amazing how clean your workspace stays when there's no horizontal shelf to put stuff on...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Does anyone see how easy it would be for the iMac to fall off?!?!?!?!

That would be so awful, falling iMacs.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    there is a diagram <a href="http://igo4mac.com/features.html"; target="_blank">here</a> showing how it is mounted.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Ah good, no dead iMacs and recalls. Thanks supermonkey.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    hey! YOU can call me karate....
  • Reply 10 of 16
    will it work with my ufo??? g

• Reply 10 of 16
    The original post about the desk was from the 'show your setup' post:

kraig911 asked:

[quote] hey GSpotter where'd you get that desk? I wonder if I can get that in the states I'm looking for something similiar. Does someone make workbench looking desks where you can sit at that has the looks of a toolbench? I wonder if home depot sells them. Anyways I'm looking for the exact same thing. To put my new TI on and all my a/v crap on. if you could let me know where you got that I'd appreciate it, thanks<hr></blockquote>

The picture in question was:

[quote]Originally posted by GSpotter:

<strong></strong><hr></blockquote>

And, I believe, the desk is from Ikea, the business area, looks like a part of the Effectiv series, price? $199CDN for one with three-inch casters. Several combinations for the legs...

And yes, I am an Ikea slut... Every stick of furniture in my picture from the other thread is from there... It's only thirty blocks away, and I always check out the asis section first.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by nosey:

<strong>

That's the whole idea... amazing how clean your workspace stays when there's no horizontal shelf to put stuff on...</strong><hr></blockquote>

A computer desk isn't a true computer desk without a mess
  • Reply 13 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

A computer desk isn't a true computer desk without a mess </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's why I have the table behind me...

I find myself a wee bit more productive, but only a wee...

I found I was constantly losing things, so I got this to see if I could cut that down... Last time I moved I found that incredibly beautiful girls phone number, but it was way too late to call...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    gelding, that UFO thing of yours is so cool...I love seeing pics of it.

Yeah, I think that desk would indeed work...it's meant to hold the iMac base and the UFO is the same diameter, right?

That desk WITH your UFO hub would be a pretty amazing combination.

Desks like this aren't meant for those with 28 peripherals, boxes of software, books, 3 joysticks, 2 printers, a 200-pk. of blank CD-R disks, etc.

It's a clean, stark showpiece for those with the money to spend on it. It would sit in your living room or whatever and be something your friends would all google over.

Definitely meant for a certain type of user (one with just an iMac and maybe an iSub and iPod.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    It looks good. But its price-performance ratio seems a bit unproportional. Just like macs.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I would wonder about those itty bitty tires... Something that topheavy looks bound to topple in an expensive arc of destruction if you hit the end of the carpeting or some sticky bit on the floor...

And it has even less desk space than mine...!