Analyst speculates Apple's OLED 'iPhone 8' could ditch embedded fingerprint sensor

Posted:
in iPhone
A Wall Street analyst claims Apple has yet to finalize an embedded fingerprint recognition for this year's OLED-based "iPhone 8," leading him to speculate that the phone could ship late -- or without a fingerprint sensor at all.

"At this point, we do not believe Apple's optical fingerprint module provider has firm orders for production, which suggests Apple does not have functionality of the optical fingerprint sensor ready," said Andy Hargreaves, an equity research analyst with Pacific Crest Securities, said in a note to investors on Monday provided to AppleInsider. "Additionally, we believe Apple has evaluated Synaptic's optical fingerprint solution, but that it has not been qualified."

Hargreaves suggested that if Apple can solve problems in the "next month or so," it should be able to place bulk orders for modules. Even then, however, that would allegedly translate into a delayed "iPhone 8" launch.

"If it is not able to fix the problems in that time frame, Apple may be forced to eliminate fingerprint sensing from the OLED iPhone altogether," the analyst warned.

At issue are Apple's rumored plans to use a sensor embedded into the screen, since the phone is expected to drop a physical home button in favor of a virtual one. Even high-end competing smartphones have so far chosen to go with rear-mounted sensors instead of embedded technology.

Hargreaves's comments appear to back up those by another analyst, Cowen and Company's Timothy Arcuri, who recently claimed that Apple has only managed low yield rates for an integrated sensor.

As a fallback, Apple could rely on rumored 3D facial recognition and/or iris-scanning abilities. The former is usually considered less secure and reliable than fingerprints however, especially for authenticating things like mobile payments. Hargreaves argued against recent rumors that Apple has been having trouble with 3D sensors.

The "iPhone 8" is expected to be announced later this year in September. Aside from new sensors and a 5.8-inch Samsung OLED panel, other features may include wireless charging and True Tone color temperature technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Please implement it on the rear instead of not including it at all.
    Roger_Fingasavon b7
  • Reply 2 of 34
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Why would anyone take this idiot analyst seriously?  Apple is not releasing a phone without Touch ID unless they have something just as or more effective to replace it.
    thinkman@chartermi.netandrewj5790rare commentcaliStrangeDaysmejsricMetriacanthosauruswatto_cobra80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 3 of 34
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I'm not buying a new iPhone for another couple of years so it matters little to me but I am curious to see what Apple will present in the coming months.
    clemynx
  • Reply 4 of 34
    After the 3,000th article - which go back and forth and back again - on this issue, PLEASE, can we wait until the 8 is released. Or do you have nothing more to do than parrot dozens of other sites? Perhaps it's time to do some useless speculation on the new MacPro 2018? Or maybe just stop the freaking speculation and give us some hard fact, interesting news. Oh, by the way - your "always stay logged in" DOESN'T WORK!
    caliRayz2016[Deleted User]bdkennedy1002mejsricwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    Doubt it.
    rare commentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    One of the dumbest things I've ever read from an iPhone analyst as this has, literally, 0% chance of happening. Touch ID is integral to iPhone security and Apple Pay. Sounds like this guy has never used an iPhone.
    rare commentryan2012StrangeDaysjax44mejsrictmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    What the heck is this analyst smoking, because it must be some really good stuff.  There is zero chance of Apple releasing any phone without a fingerprint sensor in the near future.  Only until near perfect 3d face recognition will they even consider this - and it might still have one for those that prefer a fingerprint.  I can reach into my pocket to pull out my phone, and have it unlocked before I can even see the screen thanks to Touch ID.  Ludicrous to think they won't ship a new phone without it.

And no, don't put it on the back.  That's just dumb.
    rare commentqwwerawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    OLED iPhone 8, Edition, Limited or whatever it will be called is okay with me without the fingerprint sensor since I don't use it anyways!  It not 100% using my fingerprints.  It more like 50% chance it will work.  Samsung S6 is like 5%!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    They're not ditching the sensor and not putting in the back this year.... This is pure shit.
    rare commentryan2012rogifan_newtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Couldn't they just keep the physical home button and have screen surrounding it?  
  • Reply 11 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Should Apple ditch the traditional sensor and somehow manages to perfect the embedded sensor underneath the glass, then this dumbsh!t analyst will simply claim that he was in fact correct.

Just throwing crap at the wall in the hopes something sticks.  Amazing these people get paid for being essentially a gypsy-travelling fortune-teller.
    jmey267watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    The absurdity of this claim makes you wonder if this "analyst" (I use the term loosely) is just trying to get his name in the news. Apple is desperate to expand Apple Pay, so there's literally 0% chance they'd release a new iPhone without TouchID.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sflocal said:
    Amazing these people get paid for being essentially a gypsy-travelling fortune-teller.
    Now I have Cher stuck in my head.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    OLED iPhone 8, Edition, Limited or whatever it will be called is okay with me without the fingerprint sensor since I don't use it anyways!  It not 100% using my fingerprints.  It more like 50% chance it will work.  Samsung S6 is like 5%!
    I'm always curious when I read a comment from someone who has limited success with TouchID. It worked about 99% of the time with my iPhone 6 and works about 97% of the time with my iPhone 7. My wife's 6s works very well for her too, though her 5s wasn't as reliable.

I wonder if people involved in activities which cause small changes to the skin in the fingerprint area, or even skin dryness, cause a decline in fingerprint reading accuracy?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Apple releasing a phone without Touch ID makes the same amount of sense as Apple releasing a phone with no camera. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    My supply chain informant says the new iPhone will be made out of peanut butter with an outer coating of chocolate. They figured out how to make chocolate not melt in your hands which was crucial.

The new iPhone is also believed to be 50% more absorbent. Finally!
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Why in the world are rumor sites even publishing this nonsense? No way in hell is Apple ditching Touch ID.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 18 of 34
    The greatest trick Apple ever pulled was convincing the world the iPhone 7 had a Home button. If Apple were to level the same area then the Touch ID will definitely be there. As for this analysis...He needs to get his head out of his arse. 
  • Reply 19 of 34
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Ha, right. If you thought it took "courage" to remove the headphone jack, just imagine how much courage it would take to get rid of the fingerprint sensor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    "If it is not able to fix the problems in that time frame, Apple may be forced to eliminate fingerprint sensing from the OLED iPhone altogether," the analyst warned."

ROFL what a prick!

He just lost ALL his credibility with that one.
    watto_cobra