Apple's Find my iPhone fingers a phone finagler

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Scumbags. Those droid users supporting thieves.

qwwera said:
     Bleh! And I thought the iPhone 6 was ugly.

Can you seriously spot the difference between real iPhones and the sea of knockoffs?

• Reply 22 of 57
    jason98 said:
    Wonder why he simply did not turn off devices right after picking. Find My iPhone simply does not work while device is shut down.
    Would be REALLY nice feature to have in iPhone if it could continue sending GPS location to iCloud using some kind of ultra-low power mode, ideally powered by a small spare battery or an ultra-capacitor.
    Of course that would allow the spooks to track you even with the phone off. I guess that is where my tinfoil hat would come in useful. Wrap the phone in it to stop even that tracking.
    Yay!

{for the phone to send the GPS Data, a network connection would be needed. This would be all that is needed to track you, not the actual data in iCloud.}
    chiadysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Can you post proof that Apple's Find my Phone was the one that was used to find it? The term is quite common for most of the mobile OS manufacturers.

According to the CNBC article - http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Coachella-Pickpocket-Arrest-Phones-Henao-419620973.html ;
    Dan Marshall with Indio police said most of the phones were taken from concert-goers near the Sahara Tent and they seemed to be a mix of Apple and Android devices. He wasn't sure whether customers had used the iPhone or Android version of the "Find Your Phone" app.

We're not making stuff up again are we?

edited April 2017
  • Reply 24 of 57
    "Dumb it down for America."  Nice. Now you've pissed off a larger demographic - including your own readers.  Lol.  Well done.  And what the hell does being American have anything to do with this dialogue?

And as the majority of commenters have noted, the analogy was not apt.  So, it's not as clever as you seem to think.   
    Is that actually what he said before he edited his post?

if so, very troubling. And no it wasn't clever. It was an attempt at being clever without having any real genius behind it. Kind of a shame as most of his stuff is well researched  

Yes, this is on his Twitter. 

dysamoria
    ded.jpg 138.5K
  • Reply 25 of 57
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Guess I am as strange as some say, I liked the original headline.
    edreddysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 57
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The problem with the original headline is it wasn't funny, this is funny.

New York Moses leads 100 iPhones to his promised land. 

edred
  • Reply 27 of 57
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    "Apple's Find my iPhone fingers finagler"
    Now that's alliteration to warm my heart. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Why can't religion on this world be simply deleted like an old 32-bit fart app. Nobody needs beliefs and thoughts based on FUD.

You murricans are very funny people. In Europe everyone would have laughed about that headline.
    As I noted in my original comment, my only issue is I just can't find the humor. How was the guy crucified? He was caught committing a petty crime. He was not brutally murdered, as in the case of a crucifixion.  There just is no comparison, so I just can't find the humor.

maybe I'm just a simple "American," but it really doesn't seem like sophisticated humor to me.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Even I as a Jew can recognize that original headline was dumb and offensive. It was painfully try hard in attempting to be clever. A confusing Garden of Eden analogy mixed with the story of The Crucifixion. What?  And the "lol guy it's just a joke get over it" is the last bastion of someone without an argument.
    ewtheckmanasdasd
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Even I as a Jew can recognize that original headline was dumb and offensive. It was painfully try hard in attempting to be clever. A confusing Garden of Eden analogy mixed with the story of The Crucifixion. What?  And the "lol guy it's just a joke get over it" is the last bastion of someone without an argument.
    This is because Dilger is the embodiment of unprofessionalism. His articles are poorly researched clickbait garbage filled with half-truths, and he views this website as a platform to spew his hateful and bigoted screeds. 
    ewtheckmanboltsfan17tallest skil
  • Reply 31 of 57
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    @DanielEran ;: The "Jesus" joke is played out and has been unfunny... for years now. It's not about being dumbed down, it's that it was already dumb.

Maybe it's funny for the uninitiated - like 7 year olds with no contact with anyone Hispanic.
    edited April 2017 ewtheckmanretrogusto
  • Reply 32 of 57
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    I for one thought the original headline was clever. I see you killed the Jesus headline. Perhaps you can resurrect it in a couple of days? Cue: outrage!
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I know this question won't be remotely as interesting as the Jesus and religion angle, but here goes:  did the victims get their phones back or are the phones being held in evidence until after the trial?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 57
    bobbiobobbio Posts: 2member
    Are you on drugs DED? What kind of headline is that?
    It's a clever headline. I can dumb it down if necessary. 
    Nope ... more of a schoolyard jab at things you don't understand. 

Not waiting around to find out though, dropping this childishness from the feed.
    tallest skilewtheckman
  • Reply 35 of 57
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Speaking of fingers, how was he planning to unlock all of those phones?
  • Reply 36 of 57
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    jason98 said:
    Wonder why he simply did not turn off devices right after picking. Find My iPhone simply does not work while device is shut down.
    Would be REALLY nice feature to have in iPhone if it could continue sending GPS location to iCloud using some kind of ultra-low power mode, ideally powered by a small spare battery or an ultra-capacitor.
    Sounds like the guy was to busy stealing phones then being secure by spending a little effort to turn the things off. 100 phones, sounds like he was looking for them and grabbing one every minute or so. Not sure how long he was there, but 100 stolen phones, people are going to notice and report and you can't be stealing phones for to long of a period before you get caught. A 100 phones sounds pretty greedy. That in the end, did him in.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 57
    jason98 said:
    Now that would be the way to go if one COULD do that without unocking. Atleast I can not turn of an iphone (modern IOS) without unlocking (or any hacking), And he probably didn´t have so much time to concentrate on this if he stole that much phones. So faraday cage still the only option. But you would have to be a bit more clever than this guy. And even more clever if you want to use those locked iphones for anything else than paperweights. Well i dunno, maybe hard reset is possible but if your going to steal those amounts of devices you arent going to have time to debug all that anyways. And that would just reboot the device and it would be back in tracking?
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 38 of 57
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    This is because Dilger is the embodiment of unprofessionalism. His articles are poorly researched clickbait garbage filled with half-truths, and he views this website as a platform to spew his hateful and bigoted screeds. 

You're being a little hyperbolic, wouldn't you say? I really can't remember any "hateful" and "bigoted" screeds. He made a joke that perhaps didn't get the reaction he expected. Big deal. He writes opinion pieces, and he's as entitled to his as you are yours.
    dysamoriawlym
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Dumba$$. He'll be ok. His mouth is too small for prison.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Reminiscent of the case of Claude Cooper, the kleptomaniac from Cleveland that the cleaning lady discovered had copped the copper clappers from the closet.
    SpamSandwichjony0