Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 to feature dual camera array ala iPhone 7 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Does it even matter who was first? 
    Apparently to certain posters and certain companies it's really important.

I'm beginning to think some people just can't accept that Apple might not be first or best with something. 

Most people here understand that Apple is rarely first to market, and yet it's the same "…bu-bu-but Apple wasn't first" comments when Apple does something better than the competition.

The issue is that most people here don't realize that Apple wasn't first. Then if someone else comes up with a feature they immediately think that Apple is being copied.
    You can't be harsh on the competitors for introducing a feature that Apple copied themselves.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

I'm beginning to think some people just can't accept that Apple might not be first or best with something. 

Most people here understand that Apple is rarely first to market, and yet it's the same "…bu-bu-but Apple wasn't first" comments when Apple does something better than the competition.

The issue is that most people here don't realize that Apple wasn't first. Then if someone else comes up with a feature they immediately think that Apple is being copied.
    You can't be harsh on the competitors for introducing a feature that Apple copied themselves.
    That's where you're wrong. I'd say the overwhelming majority here knows Apple isn't first for many things, but in typical fashion, Apple is usually the best, and many times by a long shot. 

As for complaints about other companies copying features of Apple devices, it's mostly because until Apple does something, the original use cases for said "features" has changed drastically with Apple's implementation. That's what others try to copy, and typically fail miserably, especially Shamdung. 

Another part of the "Apple copied blah blah blah" is the fact that Shamdung AND Microsoft both go through Apple's patents for ideas, then rush something to market to claim being first with something. Example: Apple has patents dating back more than 5 or 6 years for curved edges on a phone, very similar to what Shamdung did with the Edge. If/when Apple does it, the illiterates will claim Apple copied Shamdung, even though it's completely the other way around. Apple has a patent from about 6 or 7 years ago for an iMac with touchscreen and tilt features that Microsoft just released in the new Surface Studio.

As much as I'm not a fan of the man who runs Patently Apple, it's still a good source of information. I'd strongly recommend you check it out. He clearly pulls up past patents of Apple's when Shamdung or whoever comes out with an "original" idea that was clearly something Apple worked on way beforehand. 
    jax44StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0starwars
  • Reply 23 of 48
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    tzeshan said:
    "In a separate note released last week, Kuo reports market response to Samsung's Galaxy S8 and S8+ has been better than expected."

What was the expectation?  The logic seems the expectation is always lower than the real response to start with. 
    expectations can't fail - they can only be failed! 
    haha
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Soli said:

Or avon's come-back on another thread when discussing innovation and TouchID (which blew away everything before it): "But but but Apple *bought* AuthenTec!" as if that somehow made the final integration and implementation less innovative or better than all the crap products before it. 

I'm beginning to think some people just can't accept that Apple might be the best with something.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

You can because typically the "first!" implementation sucks, the Apple implementation gets it right, and then the knockoffs copy Apple's implementation. 

Remember, ideas are the easy part. Talent isn't having a great idea ("fingerprint biometrics"), talent is building the idea in a value-adding way (TouchID). Apple often performs the heavy lifting here and shines the light on the proper way to do a thing. See iPhone. iPad. iPod. MacBooks. Macintosh. etc...
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Soli said:

Or avon's come-back on another thread when discussing innovation and TouchID (which blew away everything before it): "But but but Apple *bought* AuthenTec!" as if that somehow made the final integration and implementation less innovative or better than all the crap products before it. 

I'm beginning to think some people just can't accept that Apple might be the best with something.
    Oh dear! Who did the meat and potatoes work on that? Without that purchase, Touch ID would have taken a lot longer than it did to arrive. A lot, lot longer.

Remember, I have not criticised the acquisitions, just questioned the people who regurgitate the 'only Apple innovates' spin and then give examples where Apple didn't do the innovation, they did the integration.

Nice try at quoting me out context though.
    singularity
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Nearly any feature Apple offers will quickly be offered by some other company for less money.  Most companies nowadays have no problem copying.  Samsung is a master at copying and I understand why they do it.  A company should try to keep up with rivals if they want their sales to remain high.  Some people make it into a moral thing but it's just business.  A company can either swim or sink.  I'm not sure why end users would complain about features theft.  More companies offering the same features makes it better for consumers who will have more products to choose from.  Any company taking good product features from rival manufacturers is definitely good for end users.  It's up to manufacturers to try to protect their IP the best way they can.  If that doesn't work then they'll have to work at lot harder at R&D or steal ideas from other companies.  When it comes to making money, morality goes out the window.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

You can because typically the "first!" implementation sucks, the Apple implementation gets it right, and then the knockoffs copy Apple's implementation. 

Remember, ideas are the easy part. Talent isn't having a great idea ("fingerprint biometrics"), talent is building the idea in a value-adding way (TouchID). Apple often performs the heavy lifting here and shines the light on the proper way to do a thing. See iPhone. iPad. iPod. MacBooks. Macintosh. etc...
    Really????

Google had great maps. Few complaints. Developed over time.

Apple bought some mapping companies, kludged things together, released it as a star feature and it was a disaster of perhaps unprecedented proportions. No! Wait! There was Mobile Me before that. Another, this time, home brewed disaster. ;-)

edited April 2017 singularityk2kw
  • Reply 29 of 48
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Apple was indeed the first to implement a dual camera system for its "telephoto" and "bokeh" (portrait mode) features, and it was a smashing success.  The fact that you can't acknowledge this is an indication of your bias, not others on this forum.

Should Samsung implement a dual camera system on the Note 8 and not implement these features, then I will agree that Samsung was not a copy-cat in this case.  We shall see.
    watto_cobratmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 48
    With the Galaxy S8 starting at $750, will be interesting to see the price of the Note 8.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    brucemc said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Apple was indeed the first to implement a dual camera system for its "telephoto" and "bokeh" (portrait mode) features, and it was a smashing success.  The fact that you can't acknowledge this is an indication of your bias, not others on this forum.

Should Samsung implement a dual camera system on the Note 8 and not implement these features, then I will agree that Samsung was not a copy-cat in this case.  We shall see.
    I think you're splitting hairs here. Huawei beat Apple to dual lens (and I don't think they were even first anyway).

If you are now trying to whittle things down to specific features of a dual lens implementation I can't really see the point in that.

singularity
  • Reply 32 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Like the iPhone copied the dual camera ala the Hauwei P9.
    You are joking, right?
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Why do you write these as mutually exclusive? Apple wasn't first to have a smartphone; Apple wasn't first to have a touch screen phone, Apple wasn't first to have a capacitance touchscreen phone; and, yet, they were slavishly copied by nearly everyone because they did it all the right way, sometimes after naysayers said that not physical keyboard, no stylus, no blah blah blah was a bad move.

Katherine Swizer wasn't the first women to run, she wasn't the first women to run a marathon, and she wasn't even the first women to run in the Boston Marathon, but he actions are a huge part of the civil rights movements that helped make women inclusive around the world.

So what's this about Apple not being first equates to Apple being a follower?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Who cares really, it's a toss up at this point. I'm so invested in Apple products, devices and apps I'm not changing, why would I, there are no earth shattering developments on the horizon that might make me change phones. The competition between Apple and Samsung is good for us the consumer, each striving to produce cutting edge products, bring on the merchandise! 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 35 of 48

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Really????

Apple bought some mapping companies, kludged things together, released it as a star feature and it was a disaster of perhaps unprecedented proportions. No! Wait! There was Mobile Me before that. Another, this time, home brewed disaster. ;-)
    I don't think anyone here will say that Apple shouldn't have started working on Maps sooner, but if you recall that the issue there was Steve Jobs trusting Eric Schmidt, and then had to scramble to make a very complex system that Google had a 2 decade head start (which included buying companies).

So, yeah, Apple screwed themselves there at the expense of keeping their word to the customer by not resigning with Google which would've required allowing them access to a lot more personal data. That last year or two with ads in Google Maps was bad enough.

BTW, Apple Maps wasn't great start, but it was still worlds ahead of the original release of Google Maps in terms of features and capabilities.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Really????

I don't think anyone here will say that Apple shouldn't have started working on Maps sooner, but you recall that the issue there was Steve Jobs trusting Eric Schmidt, and then had to scramble to make a very complex system that Google had a 2 decade head start (which included buying companies) doing. So, yeah, Apple screwed themselves there at the expense of keeping their word to the customer. That last year or two with ads in Google Maps was bad enough.

BTW, Apple Maps wasn't great it was still worlds ahead of the original release of Google Maps in terms of features and capabilities.
    True. We've seen Steve Jobs warmly welcome Eric Schmidt onto the stage during the iPhone reveal. Only to be stabbed in the back not long after.

Sickening in hindsight. Schmidt, a truly slimy scumbag.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    brucemc said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

I think you're splitting hairs here. Huawei beat Apple to dual lens (and I don't think they were even first anyway).

If you are now trying to whittle things down to specific features of a dual lens implementation I can't really see the point in that.
    The fact that YOU can't see the point isn't relevant.  If YOU can't understand that implementing a specific h/w component for completely different reasons (read features) is not copying, then your point is worthless.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    brucemc said:
    avon b7 said:
    brucemc said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

The fact that YOU can't see the point isn't relevant.  If YOU can't understand that implementing a specific h/w component for completely different reasons (read features) is not copying, then your point is worthless.
    That's like people saying LG was the first to have a capacitance touch screen even though it was only a few months, only allowed a single touch input, and didn't have an entirely new OS built from the ground up after years of effort to support the new SW and UI… but, hey, LG was first.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    avon b7 said:
    brucemc said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

My opinion is that your myopia leaves you unable discriminate the different technologies involved between the two implementations of dual lenses. The point being that Apple's implementation is used to create a focus stack at varying depths of field that can be used for creating a decent "faux" bokeh effect, something that benefits from the realtime performance that the A Series processor provides that you are so willing to cede as "unimportant" to users.

edited April 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    JacobVRJacobVR Posts: 11member
    I would consider this instead of the Galaxy 8 if I couldn't get an iPhone. Always admired the note line. The pencil support is huge for me. I'd love an iPhone Plus with pencil support.