Another alleged 'iPhone 8' schematic shows Touch ID home button on back of device, vertica...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    neosum said:
    Fingerprint sensor being on the back is a deal breaker for me unless they have a better way to unlock the phone.
    agree.

if they put it on the back of the phone I will be selling all my stock and will be firing Tim cook
    You're gonna fire him?!?!! :open_mouth: 
  • Reply 42 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

This looks real. Looks like iPhone8 will have touchID on the back. YUCK.

makes me wonder what Tim Cook does with that $10 billion R&D budget? Probably spends half of it on his dumb ass social crusades.
    Why is this rumor more credible than the rumors it contradicts?
    This is a pro drawing for a real product. A LOT of work went into it. No one created that drawing for **its and giggles. And it also seems the most plausible considering the time restraints. They already have the CNC machines and experience from the 5 series to crank out these case bodies fairily quickly.
    I'm sure that what you state is true to a point, but it is also true that there are many, many, variations of the parent model that can be created within minutes by a designer. These are, in fact, feature based, parametric modelers that were used, so consider that single image, of a a drawing, to be a single instance of the parent model, not necessarily the model that goes to production.

Then again, it's quite possible that it isn't an Apple drawing/model anyway.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    tmay said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

makes me wonder what Tim Cook does with that $10 billion R&D budget? Probably spends half of it on his dumb ass social crusades.
    This is a pro drawing for a real product. A LOT of work went into it. No one created that drawing for **its and giggles. And it also seems the most plausible considering the time restraints. They already have the CNC machines and experience from the 5 series to crank out these case bodies fairily quickly.
    I'm sure that what you state is true to a point, but it is also true that there are many, many, variations of the parent model that can be created within minutes by a designer. These are, in fact, feature based, parametric modelers that were used, so consider that single image, of a a drawing, to be a single instance of the parent model, not necessarily the model that goes to production.

That specific drawing whomever it's by, used an actual Apple engineering file to create  it. Whether it's an actual product that will come to fruition, its basis comes from someone in the manufacturing of said part/s. A LOT of detail for it to be just a hoax.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    With the whole push towards "Press home to unlock" with Touch ID authenticating while you do that with iOS 10, I have a hard time believing they're going to flip that action completely on its head and separate the two parts to that procedure. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 45 of 68
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

qwwera said:
    tmay said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

That specific drawing whomever it's by, used an actual Apple engineering file to create  it. Whether it's an actual product that will come to fruition, its basis comes from someone in the manufacturing of said part/s. A LOT of detail for it to be just a hoax.
    Can Apple build these prototypes with their CNC machines at home or do they have to have them milled and/or built abroad and sent back for testing? We know they built like a dozen variations on the 6/6+ sizes for testing; we can assume that for many of the ideas they said "no" to, that they actually built and tried it out to be sure they were right. Just not sure how much of that they can do at home under complete wraps. 
  • Reply 46 of 68
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Samesung already seen the iPhone 8.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    qwwera said:
    tmay said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

I use Mechanical CAD, specifically Inventor Pro and SolidWorks Premium, for designs, plus GibbsCAM and HSMWorks Ultimate/ Inventor HSM Ultimate, for making it on my Haas CNC machines.

The way it works is you create a parametric, feature based model, and the drawing view(s) comes off that, albeit there is a lot of work dimensioning it to ASME/ISO standards. If I want to, I can change parameters such as width, length, fillets, holes with a few mouse clicks, and then regenerate the model into a new instance. My point prior is that it is a lot of detail, but it isn't necessarily the production version of the model, and as I can't verify the identity of the drawing itself, which might be from Apple, I can't say for certainty that it is an Apple drawing. 

You might be very well correct at its authenticity, but I would be surprised if it is the production part described.

You seem interested in CAD; why not download a student version of Autodesk Fusion 360 free, which will allow you to model designs, create drawings, animate mechanisms, and best, machine or simulate the machining of fairly elaborate parts. I would be surprised if you couldn't find a detailed model of the iPhone in some variant to download and edit. (Editing a non-native model generally doesn't allow modifying features directly, but indirectly by pushing or pulling surfaces and such. It works, but it isn't the best way to modify a design.)
  • Reply 48 of 68
    I wonder how difficult it would be to implement palm print recognition. Then just the act of holding the phone would unlock it.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Well, if the iPhone 8 does have the Touch ID sensor on the back, we'll then know where Samsung got the idea. It would have been in the same package of stolen information that they bought from Apple suppliers.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    tmay said:
    qwwera said:
    tmay said:
    qwwera said:
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

I use Mechanical CAD, specifically Inventor Pro and SolidWorks Premium, for designs, plus GibbsCAM and HSMWorks Ultimate/ Inventor HSM Ultimate, for making it on my Haas CNC machines.

The way it works is you create a parametric, feature based model, and the drawing view(s) comes off that, albeit there is a lot of work dimensioning it to ASME/ISO standards. If I want to, I can change parameters such as width, length, fillets, holes with a few mouse clicks, and then regenerate the model into a new instance. My point prior is that it is a lot of detail, but it isn't necessarily the production version of the model, and as I can't verify the identity of the drawing itself, which might be from Apple, I can't say for certainty that it is an Apple drawing. 

You might be very well correct at its authenticity, but I would be surprised if it is the production part described.

You seem interested in CAD; why not download a student version of Autodesk Fusion 360 free, which will allow you to model designs, create drawings, animate mechanisms, and best, machine or simulate the machining of fairly elaborate parts. I would be surprised if you couldn't find a detailed model of the iPhone in some variant to download and edit. (Editing a non-native model generally doesn't allow modifying features directly, but indirectly by pushing or pulling surfaces and such. It works, but it isn't the best way to modify a design.)
    i draw for a living and I can't for the life of me imagine anyone for **its and giggles go through all the trouble and into such detail to draw all this. Then make a seal and stamp it for a hoax. It's not like this is all drawn Willey nilly, these are based on real dimensions and real parts. 

Sure someone may have come across a file on the internet for it...but nahh. I don't buy that this didn't come from a manufacturer. For whatever reason this was made it wasn't done for "fun". They'd build a 1/8 scale model of Stars Hollow Connecticut out of popsicle sticks if they wanted to have some real fun.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    cali said:
    You're gonna fire him?!?!! :open_mouth: 
    I am surprised, you didn't write the word 'knockoff' in this post. That's like sun rising from the west. 
  • Reply 52 of 68
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I don't understand that when one sees a hole at the case and already assumed it's for Touch ID. It could be a placement for anything but Touch ID. Why? Because iPhone 7 already get rid of any physical button for Touch ID. Everything is done by sensor and Haptic, it's a flat surface, people - no hole is required for Touch ID anymore. Button is so 2015.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 53 of 68
    If Apple needs to put Touch ID in the back of the iPhone, I'd rather have it in the position of the Apple logo instead of another location.  I think Apple logo is perfectly positioned on the phone.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    Nope. TouchID may indeed end up on the back, but this is most certainly a fake.

Check out these tweets from OnLeaks, calling the authenticity of Sonny Dickson's “technical drawing” into question:

edited April 2017
  • Reply 55 of 68
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    At least build it into the logo FFS.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    mainyehc said:

Check out these tweets from OnLeaks, calling the authenticity of Sonny Dickson's “technical drawing” into question:

mainyehc said:

No it doesn't. As if a leaker guy could devine anything because it matches an existing Apple product. More than anything it confirms it's a real Apple part.

good lord bringing some  dopey leak guy as confirmation of anything.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 57 of 68
    "I can't for the life of me imagine..." ≠ proof
  • Reply 58 of 68
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    Not a schematic.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Okay, so out of the probably twenty different schematic illustrations Apple has floated, three different disparate versions have become public. That should help them find and plug the leaks.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Exactly there are LOTS of prototypes, this might be one of them...

And remember not so long ago we saw a prototype of the iPhone 7 with the smart connector... it wasn't an schematic, it was a real build and it didn't came true... so is pretty early still, this is like what the 3rd leak of THIS iPhone?

I highly doubt that apple will do it... They sure will delay the release to get it right...
    To copy a totally out of fashion feature? Really?! On one of the most (if not the most) aesthetically-driven companies???