Full copy of Apple's self-driving car permit revealed [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
On Friday, a report revealed snippets of Apple's California Department of Motor Vehicles self-driving car application, offering insight into the company's autonomous vehicle project. A full copy of the document has been shared with AppleInsider.

Compared to the document summary offered earlier today, Apple's complete Autonomous Vehicle Tester (AVT) Program Application for Manufacturer's Testing Permit, acquired by macReports via a public record act request, reveals a bit more information about the safety driver certification process.

AppleInsider has redacted certain identifying information from the application, including the culling of 18 pages of vehicle registration and related DMV documentation.

Going beyond the cursory evaluation presented in the Business Insider report, Apple's application incorporates a copy of the testing process it used to certify the six drivers who will pilot three modified 2015 Lexus RX450h SUVs. Included in the informational packet are instruction sets, training goals and diagrams for each of the following tests: low speed driving, high speed driving, tight U-turns, sudden steering input, sudden acceleration, sudden braking and lane change.

The document also names six Apple employees who passed the company's autonomous vehicle tests and are thus certified to operate the platform. Three drivers have worked at Apple's Special Projects Group for two years as hardware and software engineers, according to their LinkedIn profiles. As can be expected, most test drivers are roboticists or have experience with robotics systems.

Beyond the testing process and revelation that all six drivers have already passed Apple's certification, the application sheds a bit of light on the autonomous driving system's capabilities. For example, Apple expects its system to be capable of maintaining in-lane speeds of at least 65 miles per hour, change lanes automatically, brake when required and perform other basic functions.

Whether Apple has developed more advanced functionality is unclear, but driving assistance features in products like those marketed by Tesla are already well ahead of Apple's testbed. As Uber and Google would undoubtedly profess, their self-driving platforms are also much more complex. Given Apple's propensity for secrecy, especially compared to the competition's very public efforts, the tech giant is likely researching advanced technology behind closed doors.

The full application can be viewed below.

Update: This story has been edited to further redact information from the original document in accordance with a California DMV request.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If this is indeed a publicly accessible document, why block out anyone's information contained in the document? This isn't a matter of national security, after all.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    If this is indeed a publicly accessible document, why block out anyone's information contained in the document? This isn't a matter of national security, after all.
    DMV records are generally public information but certain things like a persons address, social security number, phone number, etc are considered confidential information so that's why I assume a few things are blocked out. 
    Solianantksundarambb-15pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    DMV records are generally public information but certain things like a persons address, social security number, phone number, etc are considered confidential information so that's why I assume a few things are blocked out. 
    That's not what was blocked out. It says AppleInsider blocked out a person's name.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    That's not what was blocked out. It says AppleInsider blocked out a person's name.
    The person's name was redacted out of courtesy. All information relevant to Apple's plans are included in the report. 
    Solifastasleepsuddenly newtonjSnivelyanantksundarambb-15pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    tcidtcid Posts: 2member
    Please correct references to a "Lexus RX 540h." It is a Lexus RX 450h. I thought it was just an isolated typo in the first article published last week, but now I see it in today's articles too. Other than that, thanks for the scoop!
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The person's name was redacted out of courtesy. All information relevant to Apple's plans are included in the report. 
    I get why you'd redact names, but I don't get why you didn't redact all of them. I see one name out of six redacted.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Wow. They didn't use a shell company or nothing. Just put their logo on it and filed it at the DMV, huh?

Try to act surprised when they pull the tarp off it.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Wow. They didn't use a shell company or nothing. Just put their logo on it and filed it at the DMV, huh?

I think it's obvious they're working in this area. Even if there was no evidence, I'd still say it's obvious they're working in this area since it's several emerging frontiers that Apple
    has many core competencies that put them inline or above the competition. At the very least, we're talking about licensing their tech for an OS X-based car from the user's perspective all the way down to Apple having their own EV.

Of all the great things Tesla has done, I think shaking up how cars are sold to the customer is one of the best ones for the future of automobiles in the US. I can see that being appealing to Apple moving forward.
    edited April 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Soli said:
    Of all the great things Tesla has done, I think shaking up how cars are sold to the customer is one of the best ones for the future of automobiles in the US. I can see that being appealing to Apple moving forward.
    Agreed. However, it's relatively easy for Tesla to be able to do it at their current volume (~80K cars per year or some such number?). They'd have to scale to something like 500k-600K per year to be able to justify anything close to their current valuation. At that volume, the cumulative number of on-road Teslas will start to grow dramatically, and it may require a more geographically spread brick-and-mortar footprint, at least for things such as service.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tcid said:
    Please correct references to a "Lexus RX 540h." It is a Lexus RX 450h. I thought it was just an isolated typo in the first article published last week, but now I see it in today's articles too. Other than that, thanks for the scoop!

I wonder how much it would cost Apple to by Toyota.   That's one quick way to catch up to Tesla (I may have to eat crow - but not yet)
  • Reply 11 of 23
    k2kw said:
    tcid said:
    I wonder how much it would cost Apple to by Toyota.   That's one quick way to catch up to Tesla (I may have to eat crow - but not yet)
    Wouldn't it be cheaper and more inline with Apple to buy Tesla?
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    k2kw said:
    It'd be nice if ToyotApple was made in the US, too, but I doubt the Japanese would sell one of their prized possessions. Never mind Soli's idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    tcid said:
    This would be a far better purchase for Apple than some Japanese car company who is far behind when it comes to the kind of vehicles Apple seems to want to create. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Just out of curiosity, did the person whose name was blocked make the request to AI?
  • Reply 15 of 23

Tim:  "So, today we're very pleased to announce that we've purchased Toyota Motor Corporation..."

***(Yes, yes, I know the Japanese government would never allow this to happen.)
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Just out of curiosity, did the person whose name was blocked make the request to AI?
    The DMV requested the 6 drivers be redacted. That page is now gone from the Scribd file.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    tcid said:
    I think Apple has missed the boat on Tesla.
    Would have been smart 4 years ago.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    tcid said:
    It would've been cheaper 4 years ago, but why has that window closed and why is the Toyota window open?
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    k2kw said:
    It'd be nice if ToyotApple was made in the US, too, but I doubt the Japanese would sell one of their prized possessions. Never mind Soli's idea.
    Maybe Apple wouldn't need to buy all of it.
    Maybe a sizable minority investment and/or jointly owned brand based on Toyota/Lexus vehicles.  A car, SUV, truck, and electric vehicle.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    tcid said:
    It's still not proven Tesla will ever be able to turn a profit, despite their current Wall Street valuation. They could end up like AMZN and have a massively inflated stock price and zero profits.
    edited April 2017 andrewj5790watto_cobra