Plastc goes the way of Coin as Apple Pay takes the lead in digital payments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    zoetmb said:

In some stores I've been in, there's still a training problem.  If there's no Apple sticker, I'll ask the clerk if they accept Apple Pay and they either say, "I don't know" or "try it".   It usually works.   However there's a big drugstore chain that has NFC readers and at first it seems to accept Apple Pay, but the transaction always fails.   And restaurants that don't have cashiers don't accept it because they generally don't have a portable wireless terminal.   So that means still having to carry a credit or debit card (or cash).  

I never ask a store if they accept Apple Pay. I just ask if they accept "tap". If they do, I use Apple Pay and it works fine. A store would have to do some very specific modifications to their terminal software to allow NFC cards but intentionally block Apple Pay. Something I think only a few big box stores are doing because they're trying to come up with their own system instead (I have never encountered this, but have only heard about it).
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    zoetmb said:

In some stores I've been in, there's still a training problem.  If there's no Apple sticker, I'll ask the clerk if they accept Apple Pay and they either say, "I don't know" or "try it".   It usually works.   However there's a big drugstore chain that has NFC readers and at first it seems to accept Apple Pay, but the transaction always fails.   And restaurants that don't have cashiers don't accept it because they generally don't have a portable wireless terminal.   So that means still having to carry a credit or debit card (or cash).  

I never ask a store if they accept Apple Pay. I just ask if they accept "tap". If they do, I use Apple Pay and it works fine. A store would have to do some very specific modifications to their terminal software to allow NFC cards but intentionally block Apple Pay. Something I think only a few big box stores are doing because they're trying to come up with their own system instead (I have never encountered this, but have only heard about it).
    Same here. All I say when asked is debit. Here in Canada, tap is pretty much everywhere. So, I use Pay almost exclusively now. Haven't had to use a physical card in months now. Love the fact that the entire country pretty much runs on one network. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    thedba said:
    http://www.pymnts.com/mobile-wallet-adoption-2017/

Samsung Pay is the most used at 4.5%, Apple Pay has had decrease in usage over the last few months.
    A very uninformative post and even more so, website.
    Says nothing about their samples, geographic location. Even their data points are insufficient. Apple Pay has the most and others only have one.

In short no conclusions can be drawn from this.
    Yeah, these graphs are strongly devoid of information.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,684member
    avon b7 said:
    maestro64 said:
    thedba said:
    http://www.pymnts.com/mobile-wallet-adoption-2017/

Samsung Pay is the most used at 4.5%, Apple Pay has had decrease in usage over the last few months.
    A very uninformative post and even more so, website.
    Says nothing about their samples, geographic location. Even their data points are insufficient. Apple Pay has the most and others only have one.

In short no conclusions can be drawn from this.

Boy the has to be the most made up data I ever seen. Giving the fact that apple has signed up far more banks and credit card companies then any other payment system means they are doing more payments than anyone else, how much any one guys but the bank sign up is a known number for both Apple and Samsung.
    It's not how many banks you've signed to but the size of those banks and how many of those banks have iPhone customers.

I don't know the numbers but I can imagine there are far more potential non-Apple Pay users out there than potential Apple Pay users.

The problem is that I just don't know actual figures.

Almost 80%' of all domestic transactions in Spain are in cash.

For mobile online shopping iOS devices have consistently generated about 5X the sales revenues of Android devices. This has stayed the same for several years according to several companies that track this (like Adobe, Custora and IBM). Add to that iOS accounts for 5X as much revenue for things like digital content and 4X as much revenue for the App Store vs Google Play.

Given this I find it highly unlikely that Android users are anywhere near iPhone users for mobile payments, given that iOS leads in every single metric where money is concerned.

When Samsung Pay was 6 months old they announced they hit $500 million in those 6 months. Sounds impressive until you look at the total number of users and realize the average person spent about $30 per month. Hell, I spend $2,000 a month on Apple Pay, making me as valuable as 66 Samsung Pay users.
    Mobile online iOS payments aren't representative enough to guess in store Apple Pay use against non Apple Pay systems.

I do a lot of online shopping but do not use Apple Pay when in stores. My shopping is platform agnostic. I simply use the devices which I have to hand. Sometimes it's an Android system and other times it's an iOS system.

For online shopping I prefer a virtual card which I simply charge before purchase.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 27
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    adm1 said:
    I use ApplePay where i can because my bank gives bonus cashback on each transaction. For all other instances, I carry a Curve card - it's linked to an iPhone app and can act as a middleman to ALL of my cards. I carry the one card and in the app switch which card it's linked to on-the-fly. Works for ATMs, payments; chip n pin AND contactless, also can be used online. Until such time that ALL my cards are available on ApplePay and I can do cash withdrawls with it, I'll need to keep using the Curve Card.

I didn't even know that existed! Such an interesting concept.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    And so after reading all this good info about the various pay methods, I have to ask why the frak Costco doesn't take Apple Pay?  Just the other day they FINALLY turned on chip card acceptance.  I asked if they took Apple Pay and they said no, just Samsung Pay.  The next time I'm there I'll try using Apple Pay, but in many ways there's no point at Costco since they have to see your Costco Visa card anyway to scan the membership bar code.  At that point the card is already out so why bother.

Maybe they don't realize they can put the membership card info in the Wallet along with the credit card?

Sometimes I wonder about Costco.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 27
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    thedba said:
    I'm very surprised that in Japan you can not reliably use Apple Pay (or contactless payments) other than public transport.
    It has nothing to do with "reliability" and everything to do with "ApplePay is simply not accepted at most places in Japan."  

Japan has long had contactless payments in the form of Suica.  But keep in mind that Japan is still mostly a cash-based society and some places do not accept credit cards at all.  This is explain a little bit in this article:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/25/13401092/apple-pay-japan-suica-felica-nfc

Apple provides a way to transfer a Suica card to an iPhone via the Wallet app, after which the Suica card will no longer be usable:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207155

You can then use "Apple Pay" in places that accept Suica, but technically it's still Suica as opposed to what you folks in the US know and use as Apple Pay.  Meaning, although you can "reload" a Suica card, you are limited to a max of ¥20,000 (about US$200):

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html

The benefit you folks get in the US is that when you go to an Apple-Pay-Accepted location, you will charge to your credit card, which certainly won't have a $200 limit.  The other benefit is Apple Pay is tied to your credit card instead of Suica, so unlike Suica you don't have to prepay (locking up that ¥20,000 until you actually use the card).

You can use Apple Pay in Japan that is not tied to Suica, but as I said, the number of locations that accept that are very few and far between.
    edited April 2017 maestro64