Apple hires two Google satellite execs for 'new hardware team'

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,048member
    evilution said:
    Woohoo! 5G high speed satellite broadband for a reasonable price throughout the whole world.
    "Reasonable" -  Apple doesn't offer anything inexpensively.   But this may be an intestesting area of development over the next 10 to 20 years.

    I would think that Musk has the inside shot for deploying his own Satellite network if the reusable rockets work out.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Apple has reportedly hired two executives from Google's satellite division to head up "a new hardware team," with goals that are still unclear.

    From one Titan to another? Though it seems to be a new hardware team and not Project Titan.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    entropys said:
    Why does the internet service need to be satellite?  Why not reduce the distance with high altitude solar drones in a parking orbit at say 65,000 feet or so and get complete coverage (actual elevation would depend on avoiding winds)? You can easily have them come down and land to service them, and put a stack more up than you can satellites, and build in much greater capacity.  And they can be upgraded much more rapidly.
    From my point of view this only makes sense from the apple car perspective. You would want connectivity for upgrades and diagnostics from cars that arent dependent on the users own connectivity...

    The satelite just brings latency problems that you dont want to deal with in internet connectivity for the user...
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 44 of 49
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 5,901member
    entropys said:
    Why does the internet service need to be satellite?  Why not reduce the distance with high altitude solar drones in a parking orbit at say 65,000 feet or so and get complete coverage (actual elevation would depend on avoiding winds)? You can easily have them come down and land to service them, and put a stack more up than you can satellites, and build in much greater capacity.  And they can be upgraded much more rapidly.
    From my point of view this only makes sense from the apple car perspective. You would want connectivity for upgrades and diagnostics from cars that arent dependent on the users own connectivity...

    The satelite just brings latency problems that you dont want to deal with in internet connectivity for the user...
    Good point. From a secure-communication customer-service perspective, it would provide an end to end solution that wouldnt require the internet. Would also be useful for cars, tracking, validation etc.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    k2kw said:
    evilution said:
    Woohoo! 5G high speed satellite broadband for a reasonable price throughout the whole world.
    "Reasonable" -  Apple doesn't offer anything inexpensively.   But this may be an intestesting area of development over the next 10 to 20 years.

    I would think that Musk has the inside shot for deploying his own Satellite network if the reusable rockets work out.
    Ninety-nine cent and free apps aren't inexpensive enough for you?
  • Reply 46 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    In tangentially related news, check out this flying watercraft just unveiled (and backed by Larry Page from Google):

    https://kittyhawk.aero/about/
  • Reply 47 of 49
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Trouble is we hear abut these hires and special projects and nothing ever comes of them. 
    Not with that attitude.
    If you’ve been around here for a while you would know that I’m usually defending Apple against trolls and naysayers. But it’s becoming clear that Apple has nothing ‘in the pipeline’ that’s coming anytime soon. Everything appears to be years away, if ever. Sure, we’ll get new macOS, iOS, watchOS, tvOS announcements at WWDC but nothing significant in the hardware department. And my patience is wearing thin. Where are all those supposed $billions on R&D going anyway?
    Apple Watch.
    Airpods.
    iPad Pro.

    Where have you been the last 2 years?

    If you expect a new hardware like the iPhone to come out every couple years you are dreaming.
    Well the whole view on this depents on the potential that you and I see. I (and maybe lkrupp) see that Apples potential is really high, but it all cuts down to executive function. Stonecold focus on delivering what you need. This might be the result of too much fear of screwing up things. Iphone is a prime example of this focus that Apple had in the Jobs era especially the later part. It was far from perfect if we look back now, but I believe this was Jobs greatest point. He was a stonecold on focus. He wasn´t keen on doing too much right away because you end up with not launching anything. This gives you agility to begin with and doesnt lock you too much out. Launch a product thats simple, and works great. Then add the other stuff you wanted later when your sure as well how the things need evolving and have some input for guidance.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 5,689member
    lkrupp said:
    Trouble is we hear abut these hires and special projects and nothing ever comes of them. Still relying on the iPhone to keep the ship afloat. Everything else appears to be a ‘hobby’. Sort of like Google’s barge in San Francisco bay. You’d think the world’s most valuable company, drenched in cash, would be able to juggle several major products at the same time. But everything is always ‘in the pipeline’ isn’t it?  New iMacs? In the pipeline. New Mac Pro? In the pipeline. Streaming packages? In the pipeline. Self-driving vehicle? Maybe in the pipeline. VR/AR? In the pipeline. AppleTV? Only God knows. That pipeline should be constipated by now. Apple = iPhone and Google = Advertising. And not much else.
    What the pipeline complainers don't realize is all the things have been already released were previously the things referred to as in the pipeline. iphones, ipads, macbooks, airpods, watch, etc -- all were once in the pipeline. pipeline doesn't mean "Holy shit we now sell starships!"
    Steve Jobs would've never not sold starships!
Sign In or Register to comment.