Apple Maps gains public transit directions for Paris

Posted:
in iPhone
Filling in an important gap in its native Maps apps for iOS and macOS, Apple this weekend introduced public transit directions for Paris, including detailed station information.

The app now covers the city's subway and above-ground train lines, particularly the RER and Transilien networks. Entrances to stations are marked, and tapping on a station will show all the connecting lines, as well information on upcoming departures.

Other transit options include bus lines, Autolib car sharing, and recently-added Velib bike sharing. Two other cities, London and New York, likewise gained bike sharing on April 19.

Paris was a significant omission given the city's global prominence, though many other capital cities are still missing. In Europe, the only other capitals with Maps transit directions include Berlin, Prague, and cities in Great Britain.

Apple has been working to rebuild transit data in Maps since first restoring it with 2015's iOS 9. The feature briefly went missing after 2012 when Apple decided to strip all Google Maps content out of iOS 6.

In trying to play catchup with Google, Apple has been making a number of additions, such as EV charging stations. In its April 19 update, the company also began marking U.K. charging options via Moovility data.

Later upgrades could include indoor mapping and improved car navigation, as well as more frequent content updates thanks to drone flights.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It will need to start showing safe routes as well soon. Those who traveled to Paris know what I mean.
    SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Still wondering when Apple Maps will acknowledge cyclists
  • Reply 3 of 10
    It will need to start showing safe routes as well soon. Those who traveled to Paris know what I mean.
    I'm not sure how something like that would be implemented. Maybe troll? Or being funny? Or generic comment about the danger of cities. Can't tell.

Really looks like Apple is working hard on this. Good for them. And everyone using their products.

Edit: paragraph breaks
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I'm not sure how something like that would be implemented. Maybe troll? Or being funny? Or generic comment about the danger of cities. Can't tell.

Really looks like Apple is working hard on this. Good for them. And everyone using their products.

Not troll and not funny. Ignored by US media, but a huge issue.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 10
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Not troll and not funny. Ignored by US media, but a huge issue.
    Right... "ignored... You do know some of us actually fucking been to Paris hundreds of times hey and actually have family there huh.
    Try doing some gaslighting somewhere else.

Even the "worse" parts of Paris are safer than most US cities.

But, if the sight of a hijab makes you quiver, I guess many places would "feel" unsafe... the feels is all it takes anyway, who cares about truth.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    The fact that not everyone is packing a handgun means the whole country is safer than wherever you may be in the US.  Quel dommage pour les Etats-Unis. ;-(

lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 10
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Just avoid the St Denis area and you'll be fine. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member

Biggest issue for the "Yanks" will be the pickpockets, which are very professional there - just ask my wife!

We were there last April and will be going again when we re fully recovered from that theft,  I never felt that the city was not safe, but even the trains have warnings about pickpockets.  Otherwise we love France. 

As for Apple's new efforts, I'll be happy to use the new info on the map, but we did well with the paper version found everywhere.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Just avoid the St Denis area and you'll be fine. 
    You don't have to avoid any area, unless you shake in your boots walking the streets of downtown LA or New Orleans, or east London,
    for those weak kneed, sure... stay away.
    Now, certain parts of Kinshasa or Sao Paulo... Well then you're talking... How you feel is highly dependent on your perspective (flawed or not) of the situation.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I don't get the problem, either. I had my passport stolen last time I was there, but I didn't ever feel I was in any personal danger.

Having Public Transport directions is good. The Metro can be difficult to navigate if you're not used to it, and don't speak French. (Especially if you're stressed out and trying to find the Australian Embassy.) Especially if it can tell me which platform I should be on. For some reason I messed this up more often in Paris than any other city i've been to. It can't just have been the language barrier.