Samsung's fix for red-tinted Galaxy S8 screens forces users to self-calibrate

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    georgie01 said:
    Let's not get too pompous here.  Apple was quick to tell us we were just "holding it wrong."   
    Well, to be fair, the iPhone 4 issue was not a technology failure but was a result of Apple's failure to account for usage scenarios.

The red screens are a technology failure, and Samsung is dismissing it as user preference. How we hold a phone is mostly a preference, and Apple did the right thing by modifying the design of the 4s to account for more user preference. Fixing colour issues is not simply satisfying user preference because it's a failure whether the user cares about it or not (unless Samsung isn't aiming for colour accuracy...). 
    It's even less severe than that, and something Apple should've accounted for before the launch. They created a brilliant design that allowed for calls to me made and stay connected better than other devices, but they didn't change the range in which the various bars were denoted on screen, which could make an iPhone 4 show 1 or even no bars while still being able to connect just fine, as noted by AnandTech's testing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 67
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    Wow. 

So so instead of actually CORRECTING a hardware flaw which they cannot correct in software, they force the burden upon the USER who just paid exhorbitsnt prices to hafe a nice phone. Not a tinker toy. 

Isf Samsung could correct it, they would. But they can't. So instead of being honest, they use a psychological ploy. By deflecting responsibility to the user, they hope the user uses the software to overaccelerate other values and deteriorate the red values until they get something they can live with. It won't ever end up right. It will be something the user feels responsible for, and, Samsung hopes, will be willing to live with, based on their own efforts failing rather than samsungs. 

ITS PSYCHOLOGY. NOT A REAL FIX. 

Samsung shames itself more and more with every step. This is a leadership issue. They knew it had problems and filled with it anyway. Just horrible. 

Etill msking cheap crap phones, but now having the gall to charge iPhone worthy prices while not offering iPhone worthy quality. 

Samsung is shameless. But they are proving the old adage "a sucker is born every minute"
    Solipalominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 67
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    sog35 said:
    It baffles me why millions of people buy Samdung phones that cost just as much an iPhone.

I understand those who buy cheap phones and can't afford an iPhone.

This is like spending $100k on a Hyundai instead of a BMW. Makes zero sense.
    Yeah... I'm sure there must exist a non-zero number of informed people with legitimate reasons to choose Samsung, but I suspect that the a large majority who pick Samsung over Apple would not do so if they (1) were better informed or (2) lacked an irrational dislike of Apple. 

In addition to these quality/reliability issues, the difference in speed is pretty noticeable. I had to spend some time in a Verizon store recently and while waiting for assistance I went from phone to phone to see how long it took to do a simple thing like load the CNN website. All the phones were on the same wifi network and I repeated the test a few times. I was really amazed to see that the widely reported differences in web browsing benchmarks corresponds to noticeable differences in real world use. On the iPhone 7 the page seemed to load instantaneously relative to the Android devices (all using Chrome). Among Android devices there was noticeably variation, and the Galaxy S8 was at the top of the pack, but it was still noticeably lagging the iPhone 7. I don't see how somebody could be happy about paying the same price as an iPhone and then experience such a noticeable performance deficit. 

Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 67
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Things glow red when they get really hot 
    Solibrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 67
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Troll-erton said:
    Fixed that for you
    anantksundarammejsricwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, fortunately for Samsung they may not have enough sales of this device to warrant a class-action lawsuit against them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    So ScamScum basically telling users they're looking at it wrong is okay eh?
    palominewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Samsung's fix for red-tinted Galaxy S8 screens forces users to self-medicate.

Fixed it for you.

anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 67
    jkichline said:
    Let's not get too pompous here.  Apple was quick to tell us we were just "holding it wrong."   
    I never had a problem with my iPhone 4. No one I knew had a problem with theirs either. Therefore there was never a problem (Just using Note 7 logic here.)

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, Jobs probably had a good point.. they accounted for many ways that a phone could be used... except that one. The fix was easy, either adjust your grip (if you had an issue) or use the freely provided bumper.  The issue only effected very few people in very specific circumstances where the signal was attenuated slightly and dropped below a usable signal.  I bet many more people had trouble with cellular reception just due to ATT poor network in urban centers back then.

I remember studies by some of the carriers that stated dropped call numbers were lower for the 4 than the 3GS. The 4 actually had better reception, but because some overweight slob used a Vulcan death grip on his iPhone with sweaty palms to make the signal bars drop we suddenly had an "issue".

If you want actual proof how much of a non-issue this was just look at the class action settlement. A whopping $15 on a $600+ iPhone. That dollar amount shows how little impact this had. If it was a serious problem (or made your iPhone unusable, like many idiots claimed), then the payout would have been substantially higher. As in the full retail price, not pocket change to go buy lunch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 67
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    Get lost, troll.

Was that too pompous?
    SpamSandwichStrangeDayspscooter63tnet-primarywatto_cobraericthehalfbee
  • Reply 31 of 67
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    It baffles me why millions of people buy Samdung phones that cost just as much an iPhone.

I understand those who buy cheap phones and can't afford an iPhone.

This is like spending $100k on a Hyundai instead of a BMW. Makes zero sense.

Not a good example, Yes the BMW is far better driving car, as an owner of BMW I speak from experience they have made a number of mistake, but any BMW owner will tell you if you going to own a BMW you better be prepare for the maintenance bill and all the thinks that can happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 67
    maestro64 said:

Not a good example, Yes the BMW is far better driving car, as an owner of BMW I speak from experience they have made a number of mistake, but any BMW owner will tell you if you going to own a BMW you better be prepare for the maintenance bill and all the thinks that can happen.
    "Any BMW owner"?! I've owned mine for 4.5 years now (the longest I've ever owned a car!), and it is/has been in absolutely brilliant shape. I've done an oil change once a year (along with a wiper blade replacement, which I just do as a matter of course annually, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that BMW included that for free as a part of its scheduled maintenance) , and I replaced my radials at 30,000 miles. Other than that, I have spent essentially nothing at all for maintenance.

What a stupid post.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 33 of 67
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    maestro64 said:

"Any BMW owner"?! I've owned mine for 4.5 years now (the longest I've ever owned a car!), and it is/has been in absolutely brilliant shape. I've done an oil change once a year (along with a wiper blade replacement, which I just do as a matter of course annually, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that BMW included that for free as a part of its scheduled maintenance) , and I replaced my radials at 30,000 miles. Other than that, I have spent essentially nothing at all for maintenance.

What a stupid post.
    Wow, once a year oil change seems rather infrequent. How many miles a year do you drive it?
  • Reply 34 of 67
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    georgie01 said:
    Well, to be fair, the iPhone 4 issue was not a technology failure but was a result of Apple's failure to account for usage scenarios.

The red screens are a technology failure, and Samsung is dismissing it as user preference. How we hold a phone is mostly a preference, and Apple did the right thing by modifying the design of the 4s to account for more user preference. Fixing colour issues is not simply satisfying user preference because it's a failure whether the user cares about it or not (unless Samsung isn't aiming for colour accuracy...). 
    Color isn't quite as objective as you might think. I recall many people comparing their iphones to their macbooks, noticing that one is warmer than the other. This is because Apple has used displays with different white point color temperatures (specifically the color temperature of the maximum output). If you're trying to match colors, you consider whether something would produce a visual match (typically using a reference observer rather than a particular human) given the same light source. I agree with you that it's stupid to tell your users to calibrate their screens, but color accuracy is not a completely objective and uniform standard.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    avon b7 said:
    Another one pre-defending Samsung from future criticism. Look how much mileage they can wring from 7-year-old antennagate! 
    LOL. Apple had the same kind of problem with the first 27inch iMac screens, and right in the middle of the Christmas season. On that occasion it was a yellow tint and users even created test cards to check for the problem.

Apple's response was silence while the internet went up in flames on the issue. I know because I have one of those machines and remember only too well the thought of plunking $2,000 down on a machine that could be affected. Users even went to the lengths of tracking the week the unit was built in an attempt to avoid the issue. Mine wasn't overly affected by the issue, although it did manage to fry its GPU to death because of the woefully inadequate thermal design.

Samsung has defined the issue and made a statement. Users can exchange units, adjust their screens or wait for an update that is already in the works. It's all in the article.

That seems like a pretty good response as things stand today. 

And since when is the date of a problem an issue? And as if Apple hasn't had enough screen related issues already. The most recent being the special coating applied to some laptops.

As for pre-defending Samsung. No. Samsung seems to have defended itself. That is even detailed in the article.
    LOL. Let's break it down.
    The article is about Samsung, their phone, their screen, and their unhappy customers. It's not about Apple.

Ttollerton (and you) are bringing up examples of Apple's past problems (obviously) defensively.

"Look over there! Antennagate!" is pure weak-sauce. This isn't a "he who is without sin casts the first stone" contest. Apple's past problems have been covered by this website in past articles when those issues were relevant news.

This article is about Samsung. I find it amusing that you (and Ttollerton) can't just leave it at that.
    StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobraericthehalfbeeRayz2016
  • Reply 36 of 67
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    How appropriate.

A shift toward the red end of the spectrum would denote a Galaxy is receding.
    pscooter63anantksundaramwatto_cobraericthehalfbee
  • Reply 37 of 67
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    georgie01 said:

No -- to be fair it wasn't an issue at all. As Jobs demonstrated during the media event, intentional signal attenuation (death grip) could be triggered in other phones of the day as well, but in the real world carrier data showed no issue in actual dropped calls. 

...he shows at 18:45 that carrier data proved it dropped <1 % more often than the 3GS, and had 2/3s less returns than the 3GS, and while <1% was more than they'd like it to be, it showed the death grip signal attenuation wasnt actually a problem IRL.

It was a media hoopla over nothing. Which is why they continued to sell the 4 unchanged for years to come. Dropped off tech media news cycle and kept on selling.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobrastarwars
  • Reply 38 of 67
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    georgie01 said:

No -- to be fair it wasn't an issue at all. As Jobs demonstrated during the media event, intentional signal attenuation (death grip) could be triggered in other phones of the day as well, but in the real world carrier data showed no issue in actual dropped calls. 

...he shows at 18:45 that carrier data proved it dropped <1 % more often than the 3GS, and had 2/3s less returns than the 3GS, and while <1% was more than they'd like it to be, it showed the death grip signal attenuation wasnt actually a problem IRL.

It was a media hoopla over nothing. Which is why they continued to sell the 4 unchanged for years to come. Dropped off tech media news cycle and kept on selling.
    I think the GSM iPhone 4 is still their longest selling model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 67
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    With a growing number of complaints about a red-tinged screen in some owners with the Samsung Galaxy S8, the company is issuing a software patch allowing users expanded options for correcting the problem in software by placing the responsibility for color accuracy even more in user's hands.

The middle one has green-tinged screen too.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 67
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    It will be okay. The Chinese are busy making tinted screen protectors to correct this as we speak.
    watto_cobra