Microsoft Surrenders?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-983373.html"; target="_blank">Microsoft warns of open source threat</a>

"Microsoft is warning that the success of the open-source movement could hurt its sales, potentially forcing the software giant to cut prices and sacrifice both revenue and profits."

Awww. Well ain't that too bad. Seems that M$ doesn't want to lose its grip of their 95% marketshare to a more flexible, secure and inovative forms of operating systems, software and hardware.

Well don't blink M$...it's happening. And Apple will be one of the many leading the pack.

I would like to hear what others think...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ahhh. BooHoo! Someone is threatening Microsoft.

EDIT: Sounded too sarcastic -&gt;

I trust open source programs better because anyone who knows how to program can check the code for backdoors and security holes. Honest programmers will even report the holes. Microsoft needs a second set of eyes (not on their payroll) to check the programmers code.

"Gee. I'm a Microsoft programmer. If I add a backdoor to whatever I am programming I can hack into 90% of the computer users on the Internet." X 10,000 programmers = Many security holes, updates, software patches, and unstable code. I like the fact that my bank uses Windoze and someone out there knows the backdoor.

Good thing I use the Mac.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ebby:

<strong>Ahhh. BooHoo! Someone is threatening Microsoft.

EDIT: Sounded too sarcastic -&gt;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, aren't most Windows supporters overly sarcastic?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Woops. Guess you missed my edit.

But Nooooo. Never!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    open source is the way to go, i like that apple uses open source with a mix of their own herbs and spices...and then they give back to the community like they should

...still think QT should go out to linux
  • Reply 5 of 10
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    "In the regulatory filing, Microsoft specifically calls out the threat that some government agencies may switch to open-source software. South Africa is promoting the concept, and Germany is <a href="http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-982816.html"; target="_blank">paying</a> companies to build equivalents to Microsoft's Outlook e-mail software and Exchange communications software."

Why is this a bad thing? Bad for M$? SURE. That's the point! I get this feeling that Microsoft now really knows that open source will be a viable alternative to Windows. So they want to give away some of their code to companies to woo them away from open source. But they won't give it all away. Not that they should (Apple won't either). But M$ knows that they could be backed into a corner now...fine with me.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This is great.

The antitrust trial didn't fail: When it was still ongoing, more than a few people noted that for the first time, people and companies felt emboldened to criticize and compete with MS. We're seeing the fruits of that now.

It's all good.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Maybe Microsoft will be forced to innovate and make good products. That would be terrible!

Gates: "Awww, man, you mean we have to do real work now?"
  • Reply 8 of 10
    M$'s to-do list:

Step 1: Get M$ investors worried about open source (complete)

Step 2: Get stock market investors worried about open source (initiated)

Step 3: Get law-makers worried about open source (working on it)

Step 4: Get anti-open-source laws passed (wheels being greased)

Step 5: Profit!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Step 1 1/2: Collect Underpants
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quick, lets start a Charity!!!

"Save Microsoft - the 3rd World of the software industry"

Give plenty.