Apple shows off Dubai store with massive 186-foot curved glass facade

Posted:
in General Discussion
Set to open to the public this Thursday, Apple is touting its new eco-friendly retail store in Dubai, including a 186-foot curved storefront and a balcony overlooking both Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Fountain.

Apple Dubai Mall, via Gulf Business.

In a press release, the company said it views its new Apple Dubai Mall store as a community gathering space. It will serve as a venue to watch evening fountain shows, and to host the newly announced Today at Apple retail sessions.

Designed by Foster + Partners, the store includes 18 "Solar Wings" each 37.5 feet high, which dynamically respond to weather conditions in the United Arab Emirates. The wings will shield the sun on hot days, and open in the evenings.

Apple Dubai Mall, via Gulf Business.

The wings were inspired by the traditional Arabic Mashrabiya, and are each locally fabricated from 340 carbon fiber reinforced polymer rods. Totaling 180 feet wide, Apple said the panels are one of the world's largest kinectic art installations.

The new Dubai Mall store will be Apple's third in the UAE, joining existing locations in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Apple says more than 4 million visitors have set foot in its two local stores since the first opened 18 months ago.

"We view our stores as a modern-day town square, where visitors come to shop, be inspired, learn or connect with others in their community," said Angela Ahrendts, Apple's senior vice president of retail. "And what better place to come together than overlooking Dubai's epicenter, where the Dubai Fountain, Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall meet. We are so honored to have a home at one of the world's most incredible and dynamic intersections."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    I commented on the "Today at Apple" sessions, casting my doubts. But seeing their new Dubai space explains more clearly where they are going. They really are changing it from a "retail space" to a "social space". It's good to see.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wish you guys posted a pic from the outside. 
    argonautSolidoozydozenStrangeDaysjkichlinetallest skiljony0randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Apple shows off Dubai store with massive 186-foot curved glass facade, but Appleinsider fails to take a picture of it.
    smaceslinargonautSolidoozydozenStrangeDaystechprod1gyRayz2016randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) My first thought was that it's a single piece of curved glass, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2) My first thought when reading "solar wings" was that they also are solar panels. Seems like it could be a eater opportunity since the "wings" are designed to block the sun from passing to the other side.

3) I agree with others that not having a pic of the exterior is a let down.

doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    alkaabi_121alkaabi_121 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Here some pic
    Solibloggerblogpatchythepiratedoozydozenfh-acetechprod1gyrajeshkhatertallest skilRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Five Guys in Dubai? Awesome!  Now that's news :p
    minicoffeetallest skilradarthekatRayz2016randominternetpersonwatto_cobracrowley
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Here's a  direct link  to a pretty incredible, although brief, video of the windows' "solar wings" opening.
    minicoffeeSoliwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Here's a  direct link  to a pretty incredible, although brief, video of the windows' "solar wings" opening.
    That's so cool on how the solar wings are mechanically opened. The building itself is a piece of art!
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Thanks to the Alkaabi_121 and digital_guy for the pics. 
    Soliwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 10
    The Apple Store "overlooks" the Burj Khalifa? Wow, the Apple Store must be really tall!