Final Cut Pro X now has over 2 million users, Apple says

Posted:
in Mac Software
Final Cut Pro X -- once a controversial redesign of Apple's professional video editing suite -- has topped 2 million users, the company announced at this week's National Association of Broadcasters conference in Las Vegas.

It took significantly less time to jump from 1 million to 2 million than to reach that first milestone, an Apple representative said. Pro X has been on the market since June 2011.

At the time the software generated numerous complaints from editors, due to interface changes and missing features. The software was even spoofed by editors on Conan O'Brien's late-night talk show, which normally steers clear of Apple's professional products. Apple kept Final Cut Studio on sale for a short time after launch.

Since then the company has made numerous updates to Pro X, addressing many of the original complaints. It has nevertheless had to fight to keep Final Cut relevant, faced with competition like Adobe's Premiere Pro CC.

When it released its first Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pros last fall, Apple made Final Cut support a centerpiece, highlighting it in a stage presentation and surrounding marketing.

Recently the company hired Tim Dashwood to the Final Cut team. The developer was previously responsible for a collection of 3D and 360-degree VR plugins, suggesting that Apple wants to improve or expand in those areas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    But....but I thought FCP X was a disaster and everyone hated it? In all seriousness, I'm glad to see users like this software and I hope this keeps Apple on its toes. 
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Mmm, interesting that just a few weeks ago Apple offered its entire "pro" suite to students and educational entities for a deeply discounted $199.   Don't get me wrong, I think it is enviable of Apple to want their professional programs available to as wide an audience as possible - after all that is what Apple is all about, empowering people to be creative.  But I suspect the increased sales numbers helped push Apple's goal of 2MM seats.
    blastdoor
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    emoeller said:
    Mmm, interesting that just a few weeks ago Apple offered its entire "pro" suite to students and educational entities for a deeply discounted $199.   Don't get me wrong, I think it is enviable of Apple to want their professional programs available to as wide an audience as possible - after all that is what Apple is all about, empowering people to be creative.  But I suspect the increased sales numbers helped push Apple's goal of 2MM seats.
    Oh you cynic you ...  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    If I were looking to use a product like that, I'd choose FCP X simply because I eschew the subscription model for software. Any other fringe benefits of that decision would just be a bonus for me.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 22
    6toecat6toecat Posts: 51member
    FCPX is less buggy and more efficient than PP in my opinion. For RAW workflows, it simply rocks ... not to mention it's Metadata power. Certainly worth a look... I'm loving it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    emoeller said:

It's not a huge discount you end up saving 100 bucks. Compared to PP you can save a lot more. The Adobe shareholders really love the subscription based software business of Adobe. Me as a customer not so much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I thought Apple had abandoned pro users...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Blunt said:
    emoeller said:
    It's not a huge discount you end up saving 100 bucks. Compared to PP you can save a lot more. The Adobe shareholders really love the subscription based software business of Adobe. Me as a customer not so much.
    From a purely video perspective Compressor is $50 and so is Motion so you save $200.  That ignores Logic and MainStage for audio.

That said, Resolve 12 is okay and free but runs a bit choppy on my older mbp where fcpx is smooth.  Debating getting Color Finale.

Resolve 14 I haven't played with yet.  Nice that Resolve Studio is now $300.
    moosefuel
  • Reply 9 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I don't think there are many they prefer to "rent" software....I'm not a fan at all for any subscription software. It makes companies like Adobe and Microsoft more money sure, but it screws the customer over in the end. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Ha ha, trying to stay "relevant" with "only" two million users.  Next thing you know, Carpool Karaoke will "finally" be released.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    macxpress said:
    But....but I thought FCP X was a disaster and everyone hated it? In all seriousness, I'm glad to see users like this software and I hope this keeps Apple on its toes. 
    My understanding is that it wasn't independent editors who hated it, but larger operations where workflow was of prime importance.   Also, when FCP X was released, projects made with prior versions were incompatible (a huge mistake on Apple's part), so if those projects ever needed any kind of re-editing, you had to maintain both old and new apps.   Workflow was also reputed to be quite funky and so many companies found FCP X unacceptable.   I think Adobe gained a lot of traction after FCP X was first released.   I think Apple has improved the product since, but I don't know how many true industry pros use it as compared to the competition.    Anecdotally, I think it's used more for low-budget video production as opposed to feature film production where Avid reigns.  

Having said that, for $300, it is a freaking miracle.   It wasn't all that long ago that an NLE system could easily cost $50,000.

emoeller said:
    I doubt that's why Apple did it.   The purpose is more forward thinking than that.   The apps people learn on and get used to using is what they want to use when they go pro.   If a generation of students learns FCP, then it has the potential to later become more of a standard in the industry, especially for independent production.  

Also, whether Apple realizes it or not, no one at NAB cares that FCP X has 2 million users.   What they care about is whether Apple is truly committed to this market and will continue to support and enhance the pro product line.   I believe very few trust Apple to do so.   They know that Adobe and Avid aren't leaving the market and will continue to refine their products.   I think Apple needs to make a big visible commitment to this market (and maybe the Pro announcement is the first step in that), but I don't think they're going to gain that much traction unless they also announce a new suite of products or major enhancements or make a major acquisition.   One possibility is for Apple to buy a company like ATOMOS.    Or Dolby.   That would make true believers (and also scare the hell out of people).  

I don't think there are many they prefer to "rent" software....I'm not a fan at all for any subscription software. It makes companies like Adobe and Microsoft more money sure, but it screws the customer over in the end. 
    I don't rent any software either, but I don't think pros care that much - companies are used to mass licensing of software from Microsoft, etc.    And it's not usually more expensive if one bought every new release in the past (although I usually skipped releases).   Personally, at home, I'm still sticking with Photoshop CS6 as long as I can, but for a pro user who earns decent money, $120 a year for just Photoshop and Lightroom or $600 a year for the entire CC, including Premiere Pro, isn't much.   When it comes down to it, that's coffee money - about $2.55 per workday (and it's tax deductible).  My NY Times weekday-only print subscription (with free online access) costs about $400 a year and the entire Creative Cloud suite costs $600? - sounds like a bargain to me, although as I said, I'm still sticking with Photoshop CS6 as long as I can, but I'm generally not working as a pro these days.  
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    Just give everyone 50% off and see how many users that explodes into. Don't just give all the significant discounts to students.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I love editing in FCPX. It's a real time saver. Davinci Resolve is quickly becoming a real alternative though, with its professional colour grading capabilities, it's updated (classic) editing mode, and being free and all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Interesting snippet from Patently Apple. 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/04/apple-has-interestingly-updated-their-mac-pro-trademark-to-cover-augmented-reality-displays-smartglasses-and-more.html

So here's the question:

Did Apple suddenly wake up this month and think, "We'd better do something about the Mac Pro."

Or have they been planning to use the new machine as an AR development for some time, but were keeping it quiet?

I'm also wondering if the reason we won't see a Mac Pro year this year is because the AR stuff won't be ready and Apple wants to release them both at the same time. 
    edited April 2017 watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 15 of 22
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    palegolas said:
    I love editing in FCPX. It's a real time saver. Davinci Resolve is quickly becoming a real alternative though, with its professional colour grading capabilities, it's updated (classic) editing mode, and being free and all.
    "Time saver" is correct.  FCPX blows Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premier Pro out of the water when it comes to performance:

• Reply 16 of 22
    Blunt said:
    emoeller said:

I agree, I wish I could break my Photoshop  and Muse dependency.
  • Reply 17 of 22

jdw said:
    palegolas said:
    "Time saver" is correct.  FCPX blows Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premier Pro out of the water when it comes to performance:

I agree, what Mac are you using?  I have the 6 Core Mac Pro 2013 but wonder if FCPro X rocks as well without the extra dedicated GPU?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    As a graphic designer, I find Adobe PP benefits a lot more than FCPX. FCPX is great for pure video/audio editor. For cross-media designer who does trade show video beside prints, Adobe PP saves a lot of time because it's tightly integrated with Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 19 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Watch this video and tell me it doesn't scare the hell out of you:  
  • Reply 20 of 22
    It's so nice to see FCPX being recognized as the great tool it is. Some great stuff is coming out of Apple. It sucks that the Mac Pro is languishing, but at least FCPX runs really well on weaker hardware, the same can't be said of the bloated offerings from Adobe, although I loved Premiere when I still used it.