On its 2nd anniversary, Apple Watch settling into role as fitness & notification wearable ...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    I originally thought I would never want LTE either on my watch, until I got AirPods. For things like Skiing/Mountain Biking, to not have to carry my phone at all and have access to Apple Music/Spotify would be great! The longer I wear the watch the more I miss it when its not on my wrist, as an example even just waking up in the morning making coffee, I look down at my wrist automatically to check notifications and even just turn my Sonos Music on and I don't have it on yet, its all the little convinces that add up like others have said. Im happy I bought the Sport Model first gen, as the 2nd Gen was a huge upgrade regarding speed so now I have the Stainless Black. The first gen was just too slow I think Apple could have waited even longer for Series 2 to be the first model. Looks wise I fine the Stainless Models much more attractive, just the polished steel looks much more like a real watch especially with the metal or leather bands I think they look pretty nice, you just have to be will to pay. Also the main killer App will be Apple Pay along with he health functions as they advance more in the future for sure. The US is finally accepting NFC I'd say 80% where I go, unheard of two years ago, now if just all restaurants can accept Apple pay where in business.
    The original generation was only slow because of the OS.  Once they upgraded everything to Watch OS3, the original and series 1 & 2 are all pretty much comparable in speed for most functions.  
    I wouldnt go far. My Series 0 on watchOS 3 is not fast by any means. Apps still take far to long to initialize, show a spinner, etc, even if they're in my Favorites tray. Using a Series 2 is noticeably faster.
    That's curious.  You should maybe have it checked.   Mine is fast to the point of being virtually instant in all but one exercise tracking app.  That app (I believe) is slow because it continuously syncs with the health app on the phone to get  GPS and heart rate data (the app needs to be updated) -- but that's not the fault of the watch
    No, there's nothing to check. even the stock Apple apps launched from my face, like Home, require seconds of initializing before they can be interacted with. third party apps, like Nest, are outright awful -- 10 seconds before i can interact. 
  • Reply 42 of 49
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    I'm still not seeing the killer app...

Maybe when it gets cellular, so I can ditch the phone.

I'd consider replacing my android phone for a watch (fitness) phone.
    The killer app for me is and always has been Apple Pay. I feel somewhat cheated if I have to take my credit card out of my pocket these days. Also the notification of incoming phone calls when I am busy...a quick glance shows me whether I should stop what I am doing and answer the call or ignore it and call back later.

Similar thing with texts.

I haven't really worn a watch in my 57 years but the Apple Watch is usually the first thing I put on when I wake up in the morning. Even before my pants! And on the rare occasion I go out without it on my wrist it just doesn't feel right and I know I'm missing out on a lot of convenience.

The Apple Watch is greater than the sum of its parts...
    edited April 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 43 of 49
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Unlike a dumbwatch, Apple Watch shows private information such as my schedule. I do not want an always-on display.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I originally thought I would never want LTE either on my watch, until I got AirPods. For things like Skiing/Mountain Biking, to not have to carry my phone at all and have access to Apple Music/Spotify would be great! The longer I wear the watch the more I miss it when its not on my wrist, as an example even just waking up in the morning making coffee, I look down at my wrist automatically to check notifications and even just turn my Sonos Music on and I don't have it on yet, its all the little convinces that add up like others have said. Im happy I bought the Sport Model first gen, as the 2nd Gen was a huge upgrade regarding speed so now I have the Stainless Black. The first gen was just too slow I think Apple could have waited even longer for Series 2 to be the first model. Looks wise I fine the Stainless Models much more attractive, just the polished steel looks much more like a real watch especially with the metal or leather bands I think they look pretty nice, you just have to be will to pay. Also the main killer App will be Apple Pay along with he health functions as they advance more in the future for sure. The US is finally accepting NFC I'd say 80% where I go, unheard of two years ago, now if just all restaurants can accept Apple pay where in business.
    The original generation was only slow because of the OS.  Once they upgraded everything to Watch OS3, the original and series 1 & 2 are all pretty much comparable in speed for most functions.  
    I wouldnt go far. My Series 0 on watchOS 3 is not fast by any means. Apps still take far to long to initialize, show a spinner, etc, even if they're in my Favorites tray. Using a Series 2 is noticeably faster.
    That's curious.  You should maybe have it checked.   Mine is fast to the point of being virtually instant in all but one exercise tracking app.  That app (I believe) is slow because it continuously syncs with the health app on the phone to get  GPS and heart rate data (the app needs to be updated) -- but that's not the fault of the watch
    No, there's nothing to check. even the stock Apple apps launched from my face, like Home, require seconds of initializing before they can be interacted with. third party apps, like Nest, are outright awful -- 10 seconds before i can interact. 
    If you are talking about apps (like Home) that are connecting to OTHER pieces of hardware, your problem then is not the Apple Watch or its processor -- you could put an I7 or a Xeon inside and it wouldn't connect any faster...

On the other hand, if you are talking about native apps running on the watch (like messages or ApplePay), taking 10 seconds to open, then you should have your watch checked -- because that should not happen.
    Solimac_128
  • Reply 45 of 49
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    Why does it have to look ugly? Watches are more of a fashion accessory. 
  • Reply 46 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    johnbear said:
    I bet if you do a survey that covers all aspects of fashion that most people will find most of it ugly and that there will likely be no single item that all people find attractive.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    johnbear said:
    Mine doesn't, maybe you got a lemon.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Soli said:
    brucemc said:
    While I have no real desire to see them separate the watch from the phone, I think the watch has immense potential for expansion.   Particularly, but not limited to:  new sensors such as glucose and oxygenation sensors, and enhanced exercise monitoring as well as a low-energy watch face for increased 'always on' mode.   On the last, I think Apple needs to stop favoring/relying on Nike and support and encourage high end apps to better utilize the full capabilities of the watch -- many have not yet taken advantage of the watch's full capabilities...

I am very optimistic of the watch's future.  As Apple's first new post-Jobs product, I think they will give it their best shot.

IMO, the best way to address the advanced health sensors is via "smart bands", to which we have seen some patent data from Apple.  This separation of functionality allows the band to go through necessary certifications, but not the watch itself.  The bands could hold sensors at different points on the wrist for more accuracy, or different sensors, along with additional battery storage.  Apple already has the "smart connector" concept on iPad Pro were both power and data can be provided, and that concept can work within the band attachment points of today (on a new model of Watch).  A simple "battery band" in a link-style band would be a huge seller on its own, so really hoping Apple goes down this route.

I originally thought I would never want LTE either on my watch, until I got AirPods. For things like Skiing/Mountain Biking, to not have to carry my phone at all and have access to Apple Music/Spotify would be great! 
    Agree.  LTE on the AW is not meant to replace having a phone, but rather allowing some more freedom to be connected or obtain cloud services, without having to carry the iPhone around all the time.  This is why it doesn't have to adapt all of the cellular standards (LTE only - no need for GSM/CDMA voice, nor 3G services - which can reduce the cost to Apple and us:).
    And if you're in an are that doesn't have LTE service you then lose your connection? The older techs are currently the cheapest, smallest, and lowest-power aspects of cellular radios. Maybe in the future Qualcomm's patents will be less of an issue that I can see not including LTE in favor of a '5G' tech, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
    The basis for my comment regarding LTE only were:
    - AW is still mostly a companion device, and IMO will be for many years. It is not meant to replace smartphone. Most users will,still have their smartphone with them, most of the time. Cellular allows freedom for some use cases, which will grow over time.
    - As such a companion device, the full suite of cellular - especially GSM voice, is unnecessary 
    - LTE is becoming very widespread, and is a globally adopted tech (vs the split between UMTS and CDMA). Each year this coverage grows significantly