A very false narrative: Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

The problem for the iPhone is not Samsung, like appleinsider seems to think, it is Android in general.

That's been said so many times over the years and it still isn't true. Nokia. Motorola. Huawei. LG. Samsung. Google's Nexus line, and now its Pixel line. They were all supposed to take out Apple either alone or as a group. Apple is not only still around, but thriving, and looks extremely healthy for the foreseeable future.

IMHO buying a phone has now just come down to personal preference, there isn't much difference between any of them these days, they all do the job asked of them pretty admirably. Like cars, I pick the one I like in my price range, they all get me from a to b and back again at the end of the day. The market has matured so fast I can't justify spending 1000s on a top tiered phone anymore. If more people start thinking like me, it will hurt Apple as they will no longer be able to justify their high prices, but it will be good for consumers. Apple aren't a tag heuer brand, where you have to pay through the nose for exclusivity.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 22 of 167
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    nht said:
    saltyzip said:
    As long as the faithful stay with an iPhone then Apple has many more profitable years ahead.

The problem for the iPhone is not Samsung, like appleinsider seems to think, it is Android in general.

Google, LG, Motorola, Huawei all make great phones and most eclipse iPhone on the camera too. Look at the verge website for their latest camera shootout and you'll see iPhone doesn't even make the podium.

Apple phone inovation has plateaued​, technical advancement takes a long time, and because they are running out of features to entice people to upgrade they are now falling behind what was the chasing pack.

As long as the Apple faithful continue buying iPhones, then nothing will change, but don't expect to get best bang for your buck.
    https://www.flickr.com/cameras

Verge can claim whatever but actual usage numbers from Flickr shows that the top 5 most used phones are iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPhone 5s and iPhone 7 with Apple as the most used brand followed by Canon, Samsung, Nikon and Sony.

The best bang for the buck is an iPhone because we have a flagship 2015 android phone that isn't getting Nougat and a 2012 iPhone 5 with the latest 10.3.1 release.  Sure, 10.3.2 likely won't support the 5 but it's been 5 years and still runs well.

I would think anybody who has an android phone is using Google Photos, why would they even entertain the thought, that there is any value in using something​ like Flickr?
    edited April 2017 QJ
  • Reply 23 of 167
    saltyzip said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

That's been said so many times over the years and it still isn't true. Nokia. Motorola. Huawei. LG. Samsung. Google's Nexus line, and now its Pixel line. They were all supposed to take out Apple either alone or as a group. Apple is not only still around, but thriving, and looks extremely healthy for the foreseeable future.

IMHO buying a phone has now just come down to personal preference, there isn't much difference between any of them these days, they all do the job asked of them pretty admirably. Like cars, I pick the one I like in my price range, they all get me from a to b and back again at the end of the day. The market has matured so fast I can't justify spending 1000s on a top tiered phone anymore. If more people start thinking like me, it will hurt Apple as they will no longer be able to justify their high prices, but it will be good for consumers. Apple aren't a tag heuer brand, where you have to pay through the nose for exclusivity.
    Sorry Saltyzip, but you are an Android apologist on an Apple based site. Samsung S8 phones are relatively the same price as the iPhone so do not use price point as an excuse for your bias.
    longpathpscooter63ronnwatto_cobracaliericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysbadmonknetmagemagman1979
  • Reply 24 of 167
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So AI must be worried about Samsung and the S8 becoming popular otherwise no reason to write this piece.
    singularitybrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 167
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    My biggest complaint about the design is the location of the fingerprint sensor, which I discuss in the video above. It has been relocated to the back next to the camera, making it difficult to reach and use. The new face unlock feature, the second of the S8’s three biometric authentication options, is flawed too. Despite my best efforts, I was not able to get face unlock to work, not even once. The feature, which relies solely on the front-facing camera for identification, also is not very secure, assuming it works at all. It has already been shown that simply holding a picture in front of the camera is enough to fool it into unlocking the phone. The camera really needs to be augmented with an infrared camera to detect a face’s heat signature as a liveness test, or a second, depth-sensing camera to at least detect a face in three dimensions. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11285/first-look-samsung-galaxy-s8#comments

Why would you buy an expensive phone like this problematic S8? Plus you add the color accuracy problems of S8 screen"main feature".

longpathwatto_cobranetmagemagman1979
  • Reply 26 of 167
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    plovell said:
    "...the only real explanation of how Samsung managed to completely squander its five year head start in smartphones" may be a bit harsh. Samsung likes to characterize itself as a "fast-follower" but in this case it was out ahead. It's true that it didn't know where it was going, at that time no-one did. Even Apple was still wrestling in the labs with a still super-secret idea.

So Apple wasn't exactly the second-to-market, but had the second idea which was the touchscreen and no physical keyboard. I bet that Steve Ballmer and the folks at Nokia wish they could retract their trashy comments when Steve first showed iPhone.
    Steve Ballmer will forever have that video hung around his neck like a millstone. 

Interesting that no-one will remember Ballmer for his management style or his success at Microsoft, just for nay-saying the iPhone (just like he did the web 10 years earlier) and dancing about on stage like a monkey...

Probably just as well, since by all accounts his management style was terrible (he implemented Stack Ranking amongst other insane policies), and he managed to lose any goodwill MS had built up with its two key products - Office and Windows.

pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 167
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Samsung makes PCs? I hadn't noticed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 167
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    minglok50 said:
    saltyzip said:
    As long as the faithful stay with an iPhone then Apple has many more profitable years ahead.

Google, LG, Motorola, Huawei all make great phones and most eclipse iPhone on the camera too. Look at the verge website for their latest camera shootout and you'll see iPhone doesn't even make the podium.

Apple phone inovation has plateaued​, technical advancement takes a long time, and because they are running out of features to entice people to upgrade they are now falling behind what was the chasing pack.

As long as the Apple faithful continue buying iPhones, then nothing will change, but don't expect to get best bang for your buck.
    You are citing `the Verge as a credible balanced site...
    I believe iMore did a blind camera test last year and iPhone didn't come out on top. Most smartphone cameras these days are good. I'm not convinced someone would switch platforms over the camera though.
  • Reply 29 of 167
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    saltyzip said:

It's funny that after so many years people actually still spout this as though it is suddenly relevant and as of it hasn't been said over and over. At this point you guys might as well click your heels in your ruby slippers when saying it. Better chance making it come true.

Having lots of what are essentially white box vendors doesn't magically mean any of them are very good and certainly doesn't automatically mean any are a serious challenge to iPhone, in terms of sales or ability to produce a coherent, compelling and competitive product. Most are still bleeding red and can only continue to subsidize their "customers" for so long (I use quotes because it's a bit like being a "customer" at a food bank if they have to lose money to sell you a phone)
    ronnwatto_cobraStrangeDaysnetmagemagman1979tycho_macuser
  • Reply 30 of 167
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    DeD, your delivery is never failed.
    radarthekatwatto_cobracaliStrangeDayslwiomagman1979
  • Reply 31 of 167
    QJQJ Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    So Apple is raking in huge profits. Is this supposed to be a good thing??
    brucemc
  • Reply 32 of 167
    QJQJ Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    minglok50 said:
    saltyzip said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

Sorry Saltyzip, but you are an Android apologist on an Apple based site. Samsung S8 phones are relatively the same price as the iPhone so do not use price point as an excuse for your bias.
    You do realize that MANY people run Mac PC's AND run Android phones right?? Why can't you be tolerant of someone that wants to use something different than you??
    dominosixtysevensingularitymazda 3sbrucemc
  • Reply 33 of 167
    QJ said:
    So Apple is raking in huge profits. Is this supposed to be a good thing??
    Yes.
    radarthekatwatto_cobraStrangeDaysnetmagetycho_macuser
  • Reply 34 of 167
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    Dracarys said:
    I needed this article today. I have a colleague who just got her S8 Plus and keeps waving it in my face to irritate me (they even copied the "Plus" now! they are shameless). It isn't worth my time trying to explain to her why she is wrong. I do find it completely baffling though. She has an iPad and loves it. How can she not see how superior iOS is if she uses both operating systems every day? As far as I can tell the thing she loves about the S8 is that it has a nice screen. The kind of screen Apple have obviously been working towards and will come out with in September. Except it will be implemented more thoughtfully and will be better, as always. People are strange.
    To be fair, Samsung was using the "Plus" name a long time ago even before the iPhone had a Plus model. 
    To be fair, Apple had a Mac Plus before Samsung had a clue about computing.

Oh wait.

Gosh darn it if there wasn't an Apple II Plus even earlier than that.

To be fair.
    waverboywatto_cobraStrangeDaysnetmagebrucemcmagman1979
  • Reply 35 of 167
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    saltyzip said:

Think about what most people, especially younger people, do with their phones, which is why they find Samsung and/or Android phones acceptable, especially when they're priced lower.   They text, use Facebook, Instagram, listen to music, watch YouTube, take photos/video, watch other movies/video, send/receive email, play games and sometimes use the browser to look something up.   For those types of apps, an Android phone works perfectly well.   And if it has a better camera or a larger screen, even better.   Most people live in the moment and don't care about security, at least not enough to spend more to do something about it.    

I live in NYC and use the subways a lot.   These days, almost everyone in a subway car is using their phones.   Some people are listening to music, but I would say that when I sit next to someone who is looking at their phone (so not necessarily just listening to music), if I look over to see what they're doing, I'd say that 20% of the time they're texting and 70% of the time they're playing a free game, regardless of age.  

It's similar to why most people can get away with a $400 PC.   For web browsing, Facebook and email, which is what most people do on their PC's, it works fine for up to a tenth of the cost.  Maybe the color isn't accurate and the UI isn't as good - maybe it's less secure.  Maybe frame rates are actually pretty poor.      But for 1/8th the price of a MBP, it's perfectly fine for the masses, at least that's their perception.   On the other hand, if you go to a place where people have money, almost all you see are Macs.    I always laugh when I pass a coffee shop in a hipster neighborhood and look inside and every machine is a Mac.  I also consult for a company that's in a WeWork shared space facility and as you walk around the floor, almost every single computer used by the startups are Macs.   Older, larger tech companies are exceptions where you see a lot of Wintel laptops and towers.   

So sure, a lot of people will stick with Apple because it's what they know or because they've invested in apps and don't want to switch.   But for many other people, when they need a new phone, if they can get an Android phone for far less, they will.   And I think that Samsung's advertising also does a great job in attempting to compete with Apple as does a lot of Microsoft's advertising.    Apple's advertising used to be great, but whenever I see their TV spot about those stupid stickers, I want to vomit.  One should spend $700 for a phone or $3000 for a laptop so they can put stupid stickers on someone's face that look appropriate for an 8-year-old?    This is the same company that ran the "Think Different" campaign?   
  • Reply 36 of 167
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    QJ said:
    minglok50 said:
    saltyzip said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

You do realize that MANY people run Mac PC's AND run Android phones right?? Why can't you be tolerant of someone that wants to use something different than you??
    You do realise people run Mac AND run Android phones are not THAT MANY, right? And even then, it's not by choice but some silly company policy, right? Given them a choice, they would rather go for Apple ecosystem then having a headache of multiple platforms and cloud services.
    caliwatto_cobranetmagemagman1979
  • Reply 37 of 167
    What's really stupid is that the majority of Android smartphone users don't own flagship smartphones, so calling the most recent iPhone boring or behind the times is absolutely ridiculous.  You've got these select few tech-head users calling anything below the latest flagship smartphone some boring piece of crap.  C'mon.  The world's majority of smartphone users do not require cutting-edge smartphones.  They just want some device they can use daily and works pretty well for them.  Reliable and having a decent battery life would likely keep most users smiling.  Almost no one needs all the bells and whistles most flagship smartphones have.  I have no doubt the Galaxy S8 is a wonderful-looking smartphone that's loaded with features, but that still doesn't make every other year-old smartphone on the planet some boring, nearly useless device.

I honestly don't understand how analysts and tech journalists who likely don't know crap about what average users think can make all these judgment calls about what's good and what isn't good.  I think most smartphone manufacturers flagship smartphones are pretty decent.  Smartphones do so much for so many people in this world.  Smartphones are probably the most cutting-edge products of all consumer products.  They're used more than any other consumer product by a long-shot (excepting maybe a TV).  I'd think any smartphone costing at least $500 would be absolutely amazing for 95% of the people on the planet.  If the Galaxy S8 is so great, then what about all the other lower model smartphones Samsung makes?  Are they also considered crap and behind the times?
  • Reply 38 of 167
    Calling Tizen a turd sandwich is totally unfair. There is no bread in Tizen.
    pscooter63radarthekatcaliwatto_cobraStrangeDayscolinngjmc54netmagemagman1979
  • Reply 39 of 167
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Samsung & Andriod in general are doing fine.

It is true Samsung should outsource software development.  They really are terrible at it.

This part is completely false:
    The CPU cores of Apple's latest A10 Fusion speed past Samsung's own Exynos and Qualcomm's fastest Snapdragon, neither of which generate comparable profits to warrant equal investment going forward. 

A10 is a superior chip, but both Exynos and the Snapdragon absolutely warrant further investment.  They're arguably the 2 & 3 best mobile chips out there, and much much better than anything Intel has produced (for mobile).

A10 has an integration/optimization advantage.  And while Android is decent, efforts to optimize it have legged.  When Google has a monopoly, why bother...
  • Reply 40 of 167
    I needed this article today. I have a colleague who just got her S8 Plus and keeps waving it in my face to irritate me (they even copied the "Plus" now! they are shameless). It isn't worth my time trying to explain to her why she is wrong. I do find it completely baffling though. She has an iPad and loves it. How can she not see how superior iOS is if she uses both operating systems every day? As far as I can tell the thing she loves about the S8 is that it has a nice screen. The kind of screen Apple have obviously been working towards and will come out with in September. Except it will be implemented more thoughtfully and will be better, as always. People are strange.
    You are VERY misinformed. Samsung had phones named Plus in 2011......I hope you are not "shameless" in your apology to your colleague. Obviously your colleague isvery open minded and likes the Samsung S8 Plus.....perhaps you should open your mind and try Android.....you will be surprised at how well it works. Reading articles from Daniel Eran Digler will not give you a realistic idea of other devices that are out there.
    singularityavon b7