A very false narrative: Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Dracarys said:
    I needed this article today. I have a colleague who just got her S8 Plus and keeps waving it in my face to irritate me (they even copied the "Plus" now! they are shameless). It isn't worth my time trying to explain to her why she is wrong. I do find it completely baffling though. She has an iPad and loves it. How can she not see how superior iOS is if she uses both operating systems every day? As far as I can tell the thing she loves about the S8 is that it has a nice screen. The kind of screen Apple have obviously been working towards and will come out with in September. Except it will be implemented more thoughtfully and will be better, as always. People are strange.
    To be fair, Samsung was using the "Plus" name a long time ago even before the iPhone had a Plus model. 
    To be fair, Apple was using the "Plus" name 34 years before Samsung had a plus model. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_Plus
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Plus
    edited April 2017 watto_cobranetmagebrucemc
  • Reply 62 of 167
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So AI must be worried about Samsung and the S8 becoming popular otherwise no reason to write this piece.
    The reason for writing this piece is to harvest page clicks from both sides of the divide. Seems to have worked very well. 

And  I have to admire DED's use of the facts to stir up the Android fans, who again have demonstrated that they're clearly not happy with their choice, hence the need to jump onto a website in their search for affirmation. 

ronnStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobranetmageai46suddenly newton
  • Reply 63 of 167
    So AI must be worried about Samsung and the S8 becoming popular otherwise no reason to write this piece.
    Your employers must be worried because you're always worried that AI is worried. 
    pscooter63watto_cobranetmagebrucemcai46
  • Reply 64 of 167
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    QJ said:
    kevin kee said:
    QJ said:
    minglok50 said:
    saltyzip said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

The problem for the iPhone is not Samsung, like appleinsider seems to think, it is Android in general.

That's been said so many times over the years and it still isn't true. Nokia. Motorola. Huawei. LG. Samsung. Google's Nexus line, and now its Pixel line. They were all supposed to take out Apple either alone or as a group. Apple is not only still around, but thriving, and looks extremely healthy for the foreseeable future.

IMHO buying a phone has now just come down to personal preference, there isn't much difference between any of them these days, they all do the job asked of them pretty admirably. Like cars, I pick the one I like in my price range, they all get me from a to b and back again at the end of the day. The market has matured so fast I can't justify spending 1000s on a top tiered phone anymore. If more people start thinking like me, it will hurt Apple as they will no longer be able to justify their high prices, but it will be good for consumers. Apple aren't a tag heuer brand, where you have to pay through the nose for exclusivity.
    Sorry Saltyzip, but you are an Android apologist on an Apple based site. Samsung S8 phones are relatively the same price as the iPhone so do not use price point as an excuse for your bias.
    You do realize that MANY people run Mac PC's AND run Android phones right?? Why can't you be tolerant of someone that wants to use something different than you??
    You do realise people run Mac AND run Android phones are not THAT MANY, right? And even then, it's not by choice but some silly company policy, right? Given them a choice, they would rather go for Apple ecosystem then having a headache of multiple platforms and cloud services.

I've ran iPhones and iPads (owned 2 of each), Mac OS (ran iMacs at work for YEARS), Windows(currently run an 10 year old Dell laptop.) and Android(on my second Android phone). There is NO headache. Again I repeat there is NO HEADACHE in running more than one platform. EVERYTHING I do online is done in the cloud. EVERYTHING. I am currently typing this on a 10 year old Dell laptop. I can do EVERYTHING on this laptop that I can do on my iPad mini, or my LG G5. I use Windows, Android AND iOS. DAILY. You want to believe that this can't be done. You're wrong. Totally wrong.

Evernote?? Works everywhere.
    Gmail?? Works everywhere.
    Google photos?? Works everywhere.
    OneNote?? Works everywhere.
    MS Office?? Works everywhere.
    Google Play Music?? Works everywhere.
    Slack?? Works everywhere.
    Chrome?? Works everywhere.
    Lastpass?? Works everywhere.
    Tripadvisor?? Facebook?? Instagram?? Twitter?? Youtube?? WhatsApp?? Apple Music?? Spotify?? Netflix?? Skype?? Yelp?? Paypal?? Kindle?? Audible?? Amazon?? eBay?? Dropbox?? Wordpress?? Adobe Photoshop, Reader, etc...?? You guessed it. They ALL work. Everywhere. It's ALMOST as if the app developers designed them this way. :wink:

Super Mario run came out for iOS first though, didn't it?? YEAH!! :smiley: 
    No one is saying that running multiple platforms isn't possible. But it's totally true that the only ones who do are tech journalists for their job and some others that get handmedown iPhones or android phones for free. Why would I want to deal with multiple paltforms if I didn't have to? It's not just about the apps, it's the Ui. Have you ever watched people use a foreign UI for the first time? It's painful to watch and never worth it unless it's your job.
    edited April 2017 watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 65 of 167
    Bell123 said:
    Apple has really pulled ahead the last couple of phones with a screen that is as good, or nearly as good as Samsung.  But wait, guess who makes the screen now for Apple?  That's right: Samsung.  If you are reading this article from an IPhone made the last few years, you are reading it from a Samsung screen!
    1) Samsung is not the sole supplier, they are a supplier. 2) They build the screens to Apple's spec, they did not somehow design or innovate the screens. 
    watto_cobranetmageai46
  • Reply 66 of 167
    I needed this article today. I have a colleague who just got her S8 Plus and keeps waving it in my face to irritate me (they even copied the "Plus" now! they are shameless). It isn't worth my time trying to explain to her why she is wrong. I do find it completely baffling though. She has an iPad and loves it. How can she not see how superior iOS is if she uses both operating systems every day? As far as I can tell the thing she loves about the S8 is that it has a nice screen. The kind of screen Apple have obviously been working towards and will come out with in September. Except it will be implemented more thoughtfully and will be better, as always. People are strange.
    You are VERY misinformed. Samsung had phones named Plus in 2011......I hope you are not "shameless" in your apology to your colleague. Obviously your colleague isvery open minded and likes the Samsung S8 Plus.....perhaps you should open your mind and try Android.....you will be surprised at how well it works. Reading articles from Daniel Eran Digler will not give you a realistic idea of other devices that are out there.
    I own a Nexus 7, which is running Marshmallow. I base my comparison on that and the countless other Android phones I have played with over the years. Including the S8. I stand corrected on the Plus moniker, I didn't know Samsung used it in the past. Though I have no doubt the reason they are using it now is based on how well it's working for Apple. Not sure why I'd apologize to my colleague, I didn't say anything to her. As I stated above.
    watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 67 of 167
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    To those who say Android phones are perfectly fine for the vast majority of users, who use their phone for basic tasks such as texting, FB, web browsing and games, I have to agree, and so does Tim Cook.  You'll recall him saying [celebrating] Tnat Android is often the first smartphone for many users, because they are affordable, but that many users graduate to an iPhone, thus Andriod represents something of a smartphone training ground and feeder for the iPhone.  I moved to the Philippines 7 months ago and I can tell you I see many old feature phones still being used (It was all about attaining a Nokia back in the day) and among Smartphones its all mid-tier Androids, with Samsung a favorite.  But there are several iStores here in Cebu, and more around the country.  This Apple reseller presents a store concept modeled closely on Apple stores, with curved glass facades and clean display tables.  Very high end, and they sell only Apple products, plus the same small array of Bluetooth speakers and 3rd-party accessories found in an Apple Store back in the states.  

And here's what else I can tell you, from the view of the large city spat community I am well plugged into here.  When a Filipina has a foreigner boyfriend and the time comes to replace her phone, she invariably requests an iPhone.  Gen a used, older generation one will do.  They aspire to the I.phone here, and are the envy of their friends if they have one.  Gotta think it's not different in other emerging markets.  They look ve that iMessage costs them less via data load versus texting load, same with FaceTime versus call load.  Load is the term here used to describe pre-paid data, voice, and text costs, each sold separately and in packages.  Fact is, around the world, Android is popular because an Android phone can be had for far less than an iPhone.  Given the choice,moor the same price, I think I don't personally know anyone who would opt for Android. 
    It has been proven that Android has a higher loyalty rate, so to think that people will buy an Android device with the thought that they will "upgrade" to apple phone is false and disingenuous.  

Will people switch back and forth absolutely but not in droves as you allude to.
    Huh, proven, right... Give me a break. They're loyalty is to cheapness, not a brand. Its not because you say crap that's its true buddy.
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63netmageronn
  • Reply 68 of 167
    kevin kee said:
    QJ said:
    kevin kee said:
    QJ said:
    minglok50 said:
    saltyzip said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

The problem for the iPhone is not Samsung, like appleinsider seems to think, it is Android in general.

That's been said so many times over the years and it still isn't true. Nokia. Motorola. Huawei. LG. Samsung. Google's Nexus line, and now its Pixel line. They were all supposed to take out Apple either alone or as a group. Apple is not only still around, but thriving, and looks extremely healthy for the foreseeable future.

IMHO buying a phone has now just come down to personal preference, there isn't much difference between any of them these days, they all do the job asked of them pretty admirably. Like cars, I pick the one I like in my price range, they all get me from a to b and back again at the end of the day. The market has matured so fast I can't justify spending 1000s on a top tiered phone anymore. If more people start thinking like me, it will hurt Apple as they will no longer be able to justify their high prices, but it will be good for consumers. Apple aren't a tag heuer brand, where you have to pay through the nose for exclusivity.
    Sorry Saltyzip, but you are an Android apologist on an Apple based site. Samsung S8 phones are relatively the same price as the iPhone so do not use price point as an excuse for your bias.
    You do realize that MANY people run Mac PC's AND run Android phones right?? Why can't you be tolerant of someone that wants to use something different than you??
    You do realise people run Mac AND run Android phones are not THAT MANY, right? And even then, it's not by choice but some silly company policy, right? Given them a choice, they would rather go for Apple ecosystem then having a headache of multiple platforms and cloud services.

I can do EVERYTHING on this laptop that I can do on my iPad mini, or my LG G5. 
    One word: iMessage.
    Boom. 

A friend of of mine bought her first iPhone last year having put herself through hell just to avoid buying one. She switched between Android and Windows for years, and last year she quietly gave in. She wouldn't have said anything, but she didn't realise that her phone messages would now show up in blue. 

The reason she switched? iMessage. All her friends have iPhones, and they send a lot of Cosplay cat pics to each other. 

No idea why they don't all just use WhatsApp. I guess iMessage has less friction. 

edited April 2017 watto_cobranetmageronn
  • Reply 69 of 167

Bell123 said:
    Apple has really pulled ahead the last couple of phones with a screen that is as good, or nearly as good as Samsung.  But wait, guess who makes the screen now for Apple?  That's right: Samsung.  If you are reading this article from an IPhone made the last few years, you are reading it from a Samsung screen!
    That was so desperate I actually felt sorry for you. 
    bestkeptsecretBluntwatto_cobraStrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63netmageronnbrucemcai46
  • Reply 70 of 167
    I can tell you when Apple is in trouble: when the Android folk stop trying to convince iPhone users what a terrible mistake they're making. 
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63ronnai46
  • Reply 71 of 167
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    On SS's tombstone, let it be written: 'The price for betrayal is abandonment.'
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 72 of 167
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member

I believe iMore did a blind camera test last year and iPhone didn't come out on top. Most smartphone cameras these days are good. I'm not convinced someone would switch platforms over the camera though.
    In a blind camera test, most people tend to choose the photo with the highest colour saturation. However that is not usually the most colour accurate photo. Apple concentrate on providing the most accurate photo, not the most oversaturated. This blind camera test was not run solely by iMore but by Mobile Nations, its parent company, which includes Android Central, Windows Central and Crackberry as well, so the poll wasn't just iPhone users.
    watto_cobraStrangeDayspscooter63netmagebrucemcai46ronnfirelock
  • Reply 73 of 167
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    minglok50 said:
    saltyzip said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

Sorry. You shouldn't be labelling people as apologists when you can't possibly know, and the article is a direct stab at an Android phone. The site is Apple based but not Apple exclusive. Something that is patently clear from the title of the article.
    brucemc
  • Reply 74 of 167
    Ask Samsung, a company that is so seriously terrible at software that even many of the company's most ardent fans wish it would just ship phones with an un-diddled with version of Google's Android instead.
    Absolutely spot on!!!
    Samsung is often credited with popularizing large-format smartphones, was among the first to deliver water resistance

Small correction - It was Sony who was first to deliver water resistance in its flagship phones, which others started implementing later on.
    netmageronn
  • Reply 75 of 167
    avon b7 said:
    minglok50 said:
    You are citing `the Verge as a credible balanced site...
    You are posting in thread hanging off a DED article. Balance is not something that springs to mind.
    I agree with the sentiment that DED articles cannot be considered balanced, but somehow I found this article to be a balanced one. May be, my own biases!!!
    ronn
  • Reply 76 of 167
    ronn said:
    avon b7 said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

Who said they were supposed to take Apple out? Most Android phones compete against other Android phones first.

Of all Android purchasers, how many do you think say to themselves, 'will I get an iPhone or an Android?'. Most (the vast majority) say to themselves ' Which Android will I get?'

Apple is doing great today. In terms of market share Android is doing greater.
    Tons of people said the Android group would take Apple out. It's implied in your earlier post when you wrote Apple's "problem" was Android instead of Samsung.

Half of the Android fans that I know -- some of them obnoxious Apple haters -- are now iPhone diehards. I've only owned three Android phones (well four since we recently bought a travel phones to escape snooping by TSA et al), but my next purchase is an iPhone. I'm sick and tired of lagging updates and I want a seamless experience wit my iPad and MacBook.

Apple suffocates the also-rans in terms of profit. It'll gladly let Android have market share. It's horrible business to say "Hey we have tiny margins and/or lost millions, but look at our friggin' marketshare!"
    But who?

One thing is to leave Apple as a minority player  another to take them out.

Profits matter. Market share also matters.
    brucemc
  • Reply 77 of 167
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    wigby said:
    No one is saying that running multiple platforms isn't possible. But it's totally true that the only ones who do are tech journalists for their job and some others that get handmedown iPhones or android phones for free. Why would I want to deal with multiple paltforms if I didn't have to? It's not just about the apps, it's the Ui. Have you ever watched people use a foreign UI for the first time? It's painful to watch and never worth it unless it's your job.
    I am the owner of app developing company for both Android and iOS, so in my company we use on a daily basis both platforms extensively.
    Do you realize that in terms of UI, Android is on some points worse but on other points superior than iOS.  Just 2 examples where Android is clearly better.
    The iOS date and time selection widgets do look nice, but once you used the Android versions, you'll find the iOS widgets clumsy, inefficient and too much a gimmick. 
    Entering passwords is another key feature where Android is better.   Typically passwords contains characters and digits.  When typing a password, the Android keyboard is clever enough to switch off the word predictions (they are useless in this context) and to replace it with all the digits, so you have don't have to use the shift key when entering digits.  As a consequence, typing a password on Android is faster and less error prone.
    avon b7firelock
  • Reply 78 of 167
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    Most of the Anti- Apple people don't understand that the reason for the love for Apple products are because of the software and not the hardware. Anyone that thinks differently is stupid. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 167
    foggyhill said:
    To those who say Android phones are perfectly fine for the vast majority of users, who use their phone for basic tasks such as texting, FB, web browsing and games, I have to agree, and so does Tim Cook.  You'll recall him saying [celebrating] Tnat Android is often the first smartphone for many users, because they are affordable, but that many users graduate to an iPhone, thus Andriod represents something of a smartphone training ground and feeder for the iPhone.  I moved to the Philippines 7 months ago and I can tell you I see many old feature phones still being used (It was all about attaining a Nokia back in the day) and among Smartphones its all mid-tier Androids, with Samsung a favorite.  But there are several iStores here in Cebu, and more around the country.  This Apple reseller presents a store concept modeled closely on Apple stores, with curved glass facades and clean display tables.  Very high end, and they sell only Apple products, plus the same small array of Bluetooth speakers and 3rd-party accessories found in an Apple Store back in the states.  

And here's what else I can tell you, from the view of the large city spat community I am well plugged into here.  When a Filipina has a foreigner boyfriend and the time comes to replace her phone, she invariably requests an iPhone.  Gen a used, older generation one will do.  They aspire to the I.phone here, and are the envy of their friends if they have one.  Gotta think it's not different in other emerging markets.  They look ve that iMessage costs them less via data load versus texting load, same with FaceTime versus call load.  Load is the term here used to describe pre-paid data, voice, and text costs, each sold separately and in packages.  Fact is, around the world, Android is popular because an Android phone can be had for far less than an iPhone.  Given the choice,moor the same price, I think I don't personally know anyone who would opt for Android. 
    It has been proven that Android has a higher loyalty rate, so to think that people will buy an Android device with the thought that they will "upgrade" to apple phone is false and disingenuous.  

Will people switch back and forth absolutely but not in droves as you allude to.
    Huh, proven, right... Give me a break. They're loyalty is to cheapness, not a brand. Its not because you say crap that's its true buddy.
    There are different kinds of loyalty.

One is what you get from your dog. You could be the worst owner imaginable but your dog will remain loyal to you 

Another is when you habitually use the same bar, restaurant, brand of coffee etc.

Another is where you stick with a company or manufacturer because you see it in your best interest.

Another could  be because of a mix of all of the above or something completely different.

The OP is right. It is loyalty.

Cheap? Sometimes yes but sometimes no. Android has something for everyone. That includes people who happen to be on low incomes. There are a few more people on low incomes than high incomes.

If you are struggling to pay for your children's clothes, food, college expenses I think you can understand why they remain loyal to the low cost Android and even have a very nice spread to choose from.

If you live in a bubble with a sect mentality and are unable to see or comprehend other options, realities perhaps I can even understand that too.

So, the OP was in fact correct. What he said was true.

As for 'cheapness'. Well, tell me what is 'cheap' about Andoid premium phones? I ask because there are millions of people who buy them, and, Shock! Horror! Remain loyal to them.
    edited April 2017 brucemcdominosixtyseven
  • Reply 80 of 167
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    minglok50 said:
    saltyzip said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

I missed the bit where saltyzip made any reference at all to a Samsung s8. There are plenty phones half the price that will perform well (eg oppo r8). All it needs to do is browse the web, grab email, have a halfway decent camera, and quality social media apps and thats 80% of the market. Even the iPhone 5s does all of that with aplomb. 
    avon b7