A very false narrative: Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 167
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    crosslad said:
    QJ said:
    So Apple is raking in huge profits. Is this supposed to be a good thing??

Yes.  If companies do not make a profit, they do not have that finances to carry out research and development to make better product sin the future.  Unless of course they just rip off Apple's research like some android manufacturers.
    So why is Huawei investing billions in research if, as some people constantly remind us, Apple has all the profits?
  • Reply 102 of 167
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cropr said:
    wigby said:
    No one is saying that running multiple platforms isn't possible. But it's totally true that the only ones who do are tech journalists for their job and some others that get handmedown iPhones or android phones for free. Why would I want to deal with multiple paltforms if I didn't have to? It's not just about the apps, it's the Ui. Have you ever watched people use a foreign UI for the first time? It's painful to watch and never worth it unless it's your job.
    I am the owner of app developing company for both Android and iOS, so in my company we use on a daily basis both platforms extensively.
    Do you realize that in terms of UI, Android is on some points worse but on other points superior than iOS.  Just 2 examples where Android is clearly better.
    The iOS date and time selection widgets do look nice, but once you used the Android versions, you'll find the iOS widgets clumsy, inefficient and too much a gimmick. 
    Entering passwords is another key feature where Android is better.   Typically passwords contains characters and digits.  When typing a password, the Android keyboard is clever enough to switch off the word predictions (they are useless in this context) and to replace it with all the digits, so you have don't have to use the shift key when entering digits.  As a consequence, typing a password on Android is faster and less error prone.
    Android's problem is that 50% of the installed base is still KitKat or Lollipop.  

If you want to reach at least half the market you have to work on Lollipop which still has 32% share.

Whereas on iOS you can safely target iOS 10 and get 79% of the market.  So at best you can compare Lollipop features against iOS 10 features.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 167
    Blunt said:
    cropr said:
    Entering passwords is another key feature where Android is better.   Typically passwords contains characters and digits.  When typing a password, the Android keyboard is clever enough to switch off the word predictions (they are useless in this context) and to replace it with all the digits, so you have don't have to use the shift key when entering digits.  As a consequence, typing a password on Android is faster and less error prone.

Entering passwords a key feature? Saves you several seconds a month. Wow. Android is amazing.
    It was an interesting post. I can't see why it warranted a sarcastic reply.
    edited April 2017 dominosixtyseven
  • Reply 104 of 167
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    subbies said:
    Most of the Anti- Apple people don't understand that the reason for the love for Apple products are because of the software and not the hardware. Anyone that thinks differently is stupid. 
    Apple's better running on the superiority of the core iOS software which was first developed by Scott Forstall over 10 years ago and the improvement have really been incremental since.    They finally got the UI back to looking good from the horrible FLAT look of IVE's iOS7.   The iPhone 7 finally is ahalf way decent (since the 6 was MEH) design.  

Despite improvement with each generation of Android you still hear problems with phones having lag.    That's because the basics are still based on JAVA.    When manufactures put a skin on top it usually ends up a hot mess.   But I do find some Android design beautiful like the HTC One 10 but that's a personal opinion.

Apple just needs to do better with some of their software like SIRI and MAPS.
  • Reply 105 of 167
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    cropr said:

Entering passwords a key feature? Saves you several seconds a month. Wow. Android is amazing.

Key feature. LOL. 99% of the users go for the remember my password option.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 167
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member

k2kw said:
    Apple just needs to do better with some of their software like SIRI and MAPS.

Google needs te do better. Google Maps on iOS has a terrible interface. Confusing as hell. Same for the YouTube app.

For me the black iPhone 7 is the best looking and fastest phone on the market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 167
    nht said:
    cropr said:
    wigby said:
    No one is saying that running multiple platforms isn't possible. But it's totally true that the only ones who do are tech journalists for their job and some others that get handmedown iPhones or android phones for free. Why would I want to deal with multiple paltforms if I didn't have to? It's not just about the apps, it's the Ui. Have you ever watched people use a foreign UI for the first time? It's painful to watch and never worth it unless it's your job.
    I am the owner of app developing company for both Android and iOS, so in my company we use on a daily basis both platforms extensively.
    Do you realize that in terms of UI, Android is on some points worse but on other points superior than iOS.  Just 2 examples where Android is clearly better.
    The iOS date and time selection widgets do look nice, but once you used the Android versions, you'll find the iOS widgets clumsy, inefficient and too much a gimmick. 
    Android's problem is that 50% of the installed base is still KitKat or Lollipop.  

If you want to reach at least half the market you have to work on Lollipop which still has 32% share.

Whereas on iOS you can safely target iOS 10 and get 79% of the market.  So at best you can compare Lollipop features against iOS 10 features.
    What are the absolute numbers behind those percentages? Percentages are fine if both groups are the same size. That isn't the case here.
  • Reply 108 of 167
    Blunt said:
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    cropr said:

So I was right to not understand why it warranted a sarcastic reply.
  • Reply 109 of 167
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    avon b7 said:
    ronn said:
    avon b7 said:
    ronn said:
    saltyzip said:

The problem for the iPhone is not Samsung, like appleinsider seems to think, it is Android in general.

That's been said so many times over the years and it still isn't true. Nokia. Motorola. Huawei. LG. Samsung. Google's Nexus line, and now its Pixel line. They were all supposed to take out Apple either alone or as a group. Apple is not only still around, but thriving, and looks extremely healthy for the foreseeable future.

Who said they were supposed to take Apple out? Most Android phones compete against other Android phones first.

Of all Android purchasers, how many do you think say to themselves, 'will I get an iPhone or an Android?'. Most (the vast majority) say to themselves ' Which Android will I get?'

Apple is doing great today. In terms of market share Android is doing greater.
    Tons of people said the Android group would take Apple out. It's implied in your earlier post when you wrote Apple's "problem" was Android instead of Samsung.

Half of the Android fans that I know -- some of them obnoxious Apple haters -- are now iPhone diehards. I've only owned three Android phones (well four since we recently bought a travel phones to escape snooping by TSA et al), but my next purchase is an iPhone. I'm sick and tired of lagging updates and I want a seamless experience wit my iPad and MacBook.

Apple suffocates the also-rans in terms of profit. It'll gladly let Android have market share. It's horrible business to say "Hey we have tiny margins and/or lost millions, but look at our friggin' marketshare!"
    But who?

One thing is to leave Apple as a minority player  another to take them out.

Profits matter. Market share also matters.
    Market share only matters in that it attracts developers. iOS does that already in spades. Profit share is far more important to Apple. 
    netmageronnpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 167
    So AI must be worried about Samsung and the S8 becoming popular otherwise no reason to write this piece.
    Your employers must be worried because you're always worried that AI is worried. 
    Clearly if DED was confident about Apple he wouldn't need to write these overly defensive and biased editorials. Same with everyone who throws out the Apple makes the most profit argument as if the only measure of success is generating massive profits. I don't remember Apple fans in the past being so obsessed with how much profit it makes. 
    Clearly that's pure opinion on your part and not fact based whatsoever. 

Profit as a metric in debates about platform matter because 1) profit means people are voting with their dollars. 2) profit is the air corporations breathe, not market share. Note that even you would not be foolish enough to argue Mercedes was "worried" about their market share compared to Honda and Toyota. Yeah, because it doesn't matter to anyone but those looking to win pretend arguments on a rumor site. Profit share always trumps market share. 
    netmagebrucemcronnpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 167
    So AI must be worried about Samsung and the S8 becoming popular otherwise no reason to write this piece.
    Your employers must be worried because you're always worried that AI is worried. 
    Clearly if DED was confident about Apple he wouldn't need to write these overly defensive and biased editorials. Same with everyone who throws out the Apple makes the most profit argument as if the only measure of success is generating massive profits. I don't remember Apple fans in the past being so obsessed with how much profit it makes. 
    Clearly that's pure opinion on your part and not fact based whatsoever. 

Profit as a metric in debates about platform matter because 1) profit means people are voting with their dollars. 2) profit is the air corporations breathe, not market share. Note that even you would not be foolish enough to argue Mercedes was "worried" about their market share compared to Honda and Toyota. Yeah, because it doesn't matter to anyone but those looking to win pretend arguments on a rumor site. Profit share always trumps market share. 
    When you want to open up a huge 'services' revenue stream, market share is all that matters. You have a larger base to feed off and you take share (and potential services profits) from competitors. Market share matters for more than this but services is just one important reason.
  • Reply 112 of 167
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    cropr said:

Because it's a stupid point -- doing something neat with passwords doesn't make it a great OS. And it's easily countered with android doing something dumb, like this:

...firstly why is it ever necessary to tell the user this (or have it happen at all), and secondly the ramifications to the user of selecting which button to click are quite unclear. It's completely anti-user and stupid in every way. 

So bringing up password keyboard behavior, and claiming it's a "key feature" of Android, is completely ridiculous. 
    edited April 2017 radarthekatnetmageai46watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 113 of 167
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    cropr said:

Because it's a stupid point -- doing something neat with passwords doesn't make it a great OS. And it's easily countered with android doing something dumb, like this:

...firstly why is it ever necessary to tell the user this (or have it happen at all), and secondly the ramifications to the user of selecting which button to click are quite unclear. It's completely anti-user and stupid in every way. 

So bringing up password keyboard behavior, and claiming it's a "key feature" of Android, is completely ridiculous. 
    I will repeat myself.

It wasn't a stupid comment and didn't warrant a sarcastic reply.

Now onto your specific point. I do not have that specific Android but do have a similar feature (which can be turned off).

The ramifications are clear to me. 'Cancel' is to close the dialog, leaving everything as is, and 'Close App' is to close the App.

edited April 2017
  • Reply 114 of 167
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    cropr said:

It was an interesting screenshot, which I have never seen in last 4 years of gmail app use (not even once, and I do use gmail daily) !!! Just curious to know - did this happen in an iPhone or an Android phone? If Android phone, which model?
  • Reply 115 of 167
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Blunt said:
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    cropr said:

Apparently you never downloaded an app from the App store or had any in app purchase, because these actions requier your Apple-ID password, and there you don't have a remember my password option
    pscooter63
  • Reply 116 of 167
    WLeeWLee Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    Wow, the s8 appears to have folks here really rattled based on this article, it exposes a real insecurity about what apple is producing at the moment. 

Before I am flamed for that, I am a long term apple user, iPads, iPhones for years but there is no denying that the s8 has set the standard for design and the concept phones that I am seeing as leaks are tragically way off the creativity of the s8. I think this article actually reinforces that because it's loaded with attacks, we attack when flight of fight is triggered. 

Step up apple. 
  • Reply 117 of 167
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Except the App Store accepts Touch ID and doesn't ask for a password and updates don't require a password either. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 118 of 167
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    And on the iPhone with OS 10 password fields don't automatically use the native keyboard to prevent them from being stolen, don't bring up suggestions and has a button for the password manager instead. In apps,the builtin keyboard comes up with no option for suggestions.  I believe it's been this way for a few years.

How long has it been since you've used an iPhone?
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 119 of 167
    netmage said:
    Except the App Store accepts Touch ID and doesn't ask for a password and updates don't require a password either. 
    My wife is often asked to punch in her Apple ID password (in a seemingly arbitrary way).  The same applies to all her apps that handle payments with TouchID activated.
  • Reply 120 of 167
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    WLee said:
    Wow, the s8 appears to have folks here really rattled based on this article, it exposes a real insecurity about what apple is producing at the moment. 

Before I am flamed for that, I am a long term apple user, iPads, iPhones for years but there is no denying that the s8 has set the standard for design and the concept phones that I am seeing as leaks are tragically way off the creativity of the s8. I think this article actually reinforces that because it's loaded with attacks, we attack when flight of fight is triggered. 

Step up apple. 
    I'm not seeing folks actually being "rattled" by the Samsung S8 and the soon to arrive Note 8, and certainly not Apple. Sure pie fights are ongoing, here and elsewhere, the nature of click-bait articles and media horse races. But is Apple actually lagging in the smartphone space? With the exception of the current trend to full screen displays, which Apple will likely remedy with the iPhone 8 this fall, not seeing much lag at all. Should Apple provide a Touch ID under the screen, and an upgraded sensor suite including the camera's, the iPhone will be, again, the top of the pyramid. Me, I wish that Apple would incorporate a pencil compatible screen on iPhone, but I'm guessing that Apple would have to incorporate that into an already dense touch screen, so, not yet.

Samsung has driven a lot of its current success with full screen OLED's, but otherwise, I'm not seeing any great innovation beyond what Apple and the other OEM's are providing already. Step up indeed!

Next up for Apple might by mLED watch displays, and if the pattern follows and Apple can scale production, iPhones could be using mLED screens as soon as 2020; a remarkably short production cycle for OLED screens on iPhones. Sony actually is quite proficient at mLED production, at at small scale, currently production limited to a niche line of television models. Expect Sony and Apple to both be ramping up R&D on mLED's.

http://www.ledinside.com/news/2017/4/apple_to_start_mass_production_of_micro_led_displays_at_its_taiwan_plant_by_2018
    edited April 2017 ai46watto_cobra